Poll: Gothic Horror Vs. Sci Fi
Poll Options
View poll results: Gothic Horror Vs. Sci Fi
Gothic/Horr
14 45%
Sci Fi
17 55%
Voters: 31.
Without a doubt, this is the dumbest thread I've ever posted. You see, I was talking to two moron friends of mine on MSN and they were arguing over what's more "awesome, horror fiction or Sci fi.........nerds.

Anyway, I told them to STFU and they refuse, so I must turn to the people for statistics. It's your vote in something totally meaningless.

So have at it, it's vampires and castles vs. Spaceships and lazah beams.

And for those wondering, no I am not high.
Gothic horror is rarely about vampires, in my experience.

For the best of both worlds you have 40K.
Quote by HunterRiggs10
Your post completes me.

Quote by mrwaffles
I think you've won this thread.

Quote by freedoms_stain
darthteet just scored big on the win scale.
I like Gothic more. It kind of seems more plausible in real life than sci-fi, if you know what I mean. More unsettling...gives it an errieness...

I'm just blabbering on...ignore me...
I don't particularily like either, unless you consider Kurt Vonnegut Jr. science fiction, in which case I would say I prefer science fiction
Quote by soulflyV
Prepare to have every orifice in your body occupied by a dwarf.
Last edited by Garret. at Mar 26, 2009,
whichever's more well written i guess,
you need a poll too
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
Quote by darthteet
Gothic horror is rarely about vampires, in my experience.

For the best of both worlds you have 40K.

1 word. Dracula
Quote by Haunt3dAng3l
1 word. Dracula

1 book = an entire genre of fiction
Quote by soulflyV
Quote by Garret.
1 book = an entire genre of fiction

No but it is a gothic novel. Like Carmilla or the one called "The Vampyre" they were about vampires.
Dracula is an absolute masterpiece. That alone sets the genre above Sci-fi. That book actually scared me
Yeah! Gothic Is Wining!
Quote by SonOfSanguinus
I believe in the "personal opinion" school of thought, I doubt you've heard of it. Now, go waste your time on something that doesn't annoy me

---

Female guitarist
You want to check my profile. Do it.

Flickr
Quote by lp345
Dracula is an absolute masterpiece. That alone sets the genre above Sci-fi. That book actually scared me

Dracula does pwn quite a bit
Quote by Haunt3dAng3l
No but it is a gothic novel. Like Carmilla or the one called "The Vampyre" they were about vampires.

Right, but back to the future is a sci-fi movie and it doesn't have any lasers in it.

In my experience gothic horror is more about the occult than traditional horror archetypes such as vampires or ghosts.
Quote by HunterRiggs10
Your post completes me.

Quote by mrwaffles

Quote by freedoms_stain
Quote by darthteet
Right, but back to the future is a sci-fi movie and it doesn't have any lasers in it.

In my experience gothic horror is more about the occult than traditional horror archetypes such as vampires or ghosts.

True Sci fi is a broad term really

According to wikipedia gothic fiction combines horror and romance elements. Stock characters include: "tyrants, villains, bandits, maniacs, Byronic heroes, persecuted maidens, femmes fatales, madwomen, magicians, vampires, werewolves, monsters, demons, revenants, ghosts"
Cool, gothic/horror is in the lead. Dracula makes me proud of my Romanian ancestors.

Keep your votes coming!
Last edited by Haunt3dAng3l at Mar 26, 2009,
Well I looked it up on wikipedia and apparently Kurt Vonnegut Jr. is "known for works blending satire, black comedy and science fiction"

So, my vote is for science fiction
Quote by soulflyV
Quote by Haunt3dAng3l
True Sci fi is a broad term really

According to wikipedia gothic fiction combines horror and romance elements. Stock characters include: "tyrants, villains, bandits, maniacs, Byronic heroes, persecuted maidens, femmes fatales, madwomen, magicians, vampires, werewolves, monsters, demons, revenants, ghosts"

See, I'm drawing a distinction between gothic fiction and gothic horror though. Maybe I'm an elitist?
Quote by HunterRiggs10
Your post completes me.

Quote by mrwaffles

Quote by freedoms_stain
Quote by darthteet
See, I'm drawing a distinction between gothic fiction and gothic horror though. Maybe I'm an elitist?

I'm pretty sure both are the same thing really, I could be wrong though.
Holy, the votes are neck and neck. This is a more action packed vote than the election here in Canada lol
Quote by Haunt3dAng3l
I'm pretty sure both are the same thing really, I could be wrong though.

I might be making a distinction that isn't really necessary but they do it in the metal forum all the time, so meh.
Quote by HunterRiggs10
Your post completes me.

Quote by mrwaffles

Quote by freedoms_stain
Quote by 7stringuzr
poll please, and Sci-Fi all the way.

Fuck twilight
Good job moron, how the hell can twilight even be considered a gothic fiction. Shares more with romance novels than gothic novels.
frog_friend and WGP: UG's Kramer brotherhood

Ug's 4th ENGL endorser
Randy Rhoads is god
founder of the "ENGL amps" fanclub. PM me to join
Quote by frog_friend
Good job moron, how the hell can twilight even be considered a gothic fiction. Shares more with romance novels than gothic novels.

I've never read the book. But those who have read it tell me that it is not a horror novel. So therefore it does not really count.

I hope no one gets Gothic confused with goth subculture. In this thread it's being used in the traditional sense.
Quote by Haunt3dAng3l
I hope no one gets Gothic confused with goth subculture. In this thread it's being used in the traditional sense.

Quote by HunterRiggs10
Your post completes me.

Quote by mrwaffles

Quote by freedoms_stain
Gothic novels in general suck. I love Sci-Fi, however!
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Quote by Kartman
Gothic novels in general suck. I love Sci-Fi, however!

It doesn't have to be just novels keep in mind. It can be movies, TV, Video games, the genres in general

I'm surprised no one has said Star Wars yet.
Quote by Haunt3dAng3l

I'm surprised no one has said Star Wars yet.

Star Wars isn't really Sci-Fi it's an action/adventure fantasy that happens to take place in space.

I'm going to vote for gothic horror, because in my experience it is more consistently good, whereas in sci-fi the crap:good ratio is ridiculously high.

Oh and it needs to be said Gothic Horror is a very specific sub-genre within horror, which some people appear not to get.
Quote by Haunt3dAng3l

Well considering that the gothic subculture is widely influenced by gothic literature I don't see that is being too much of an issue TBH.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Mar 27, 2009,
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
Star Wars isn't really Sci-Fi it's an action/adventure fantasy that happens to take place in space.

I'm going to vote for gothic horror, because in my experience it is more consistently good, whereas in sci-fi the crap:good ratio is ridiculously high.

Oh and it needs to be said Gothic Horror is a very specific sub-genre within horror, which some people appear not to get.

Well I disagree with Star Wars not really being Sci Fi. It has lots of space ships, high technology etc.

I agree with the your opinion that the good:crap ratio of sci fi is high. Good sci fi should be believable in my opinion.
Quote by Haunt3dAng3l

Well considering that the gothic subculture is widely influenced by gothic literature I don't see that is being too much of an issue TBH.

*goes off to sack Rome*

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine

*goes off to sack Rome*

And I again I didn't mean the whole Rome thing lol
I know, it's an old goth joke.

*starts dancing to Bauhaus record, while sacking Rome*

Last.fm