Hey All. I'm thinking of buying an Epiphone SG-400 off of Craigslist. I've gone around and done some research and they seem to get pretty good reviews, but before I buy I thought I'd try and tap into the well of knowledge here at UG. Like I said, it's a 7 month old Epiphone SG-400 Deluxe, the guy's asking $250 for it. Does that sound like a good deal, or can anyone give me any advice on what to check for to make sure its not a piece of crap. I've already checked the two guides on UG, I just want to make an informed purchase. Pics are below. Thanks!

(Invalid img)

(Invalid img)

(Invalid img)

(Invalid img)
I love this guitar, well as far as my love for epiphone goes... It is the best epiphone guitar less then $650 US. It is better then the Gibson SG that is around 600, the pickups on the epiphone are beastly. My advice is try it out, SG's are not for everyone, the position of the strings to the guitar are different then a lot of other guitars and it can be uncomftorable for some people.
My Gear
PRS SE Custom
Fender Standard Customized Fat Strat
Baby Taylor Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 212
Boss SOD-1
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Peavey Channel Selector
Fender 25R practice amp
I love my SG, and I reckon $250 US is a pretty good deal on it. As jking said though, try it out before you buy it.
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
I concur. Find a guitar store and try one on for size. From what I've experienced they're really well built guitars. An easy substitute for a pricier Gibson that doesn't really offer any huge advantage, plus $250 is great. I got a starter LP and a Marshall MG amp with that kind of money, so that's a pretty good price.
mmmmmmhmmm

That's exactly what I've been trying to say.

Quote by munkymanmatt
brilliant
Here's some advice: Make sure you put a strap on it and try it standing up. The G-400 (just to clarify, it's actually called G-400) is top heavy - this means when you play it standing up you'll feel it trying to pull towards the ground. I had a Faded G-400 that looked beautiful and sounded pretty good, but the top heavy thing bugged me so much it forced me to sell.

EDIT: And the guy above me makes a good point too, I found the neck pickup to be fairly muddy. I could compensate for this on my amp but then when I changed to bridge it was all trebley and nasty.

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
Last edited by -xCaMRocKx- at Mar 27, 2009,
Quote by JELIFISH19
Mine is neck-heavy, and I thought the pickups were weak and muddy

they're all like that

however i love my epi sg and would not get rid of it.they are great and just like a gibby sg
So the stock pickups aren't typically very good? Can you compensate for the top-heaviness by moving one of the strap buttons or anything?
Quote by DANGERSTRANGER
they're all like that

however i love my epi sg and would not get rid of it.they are great and just like a gibby sg

No.

One thousand times no.

F*cking UG......sometimes.......just.......ughhhhhhhh

It's a decent guitar for the price TS.The stock pups are pretty bad and the electronics are cheap so the pots and jack going after a while is pretty common.Mine also seems to be very prone to fret wear,which is another thing related to its price.They do make great mod guitars though,mines currently gutted and sitting in its case until I replace the pups and electronics with something better.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Last edited by Pr0gNut at Mar 27, 2009,
I do not see any pics!

You need to see it and play before you hand over you money. Another suggestion is to try and play it thru your own amp if possible. It might sound good or bad thru a different amp. My thing with any SGs original or copy is to inspect the neck joint and look for stress cracks IMHO it's the weakest point on any SG. If it passes that inspection I will play it and see how it sounds and feels. Epi SGs if set up correctly play the same as any Gibson SG, yes the sound can be different depending on the wood and Pick Ups but most can hold their own. I don't worry about the pots myself because they are easy and cheap to replace and as far as fret wear I have had some of my Epis for years and the frets don't seem to wear any faster than any of my other guitars. I would also try and get the price down make a lowball ($200.00) offer if you like it and see where it goes from there.

John
Sorry, both body and neck are solid mahogany. I'm definitely going to play it before I actually pay. How can you tell if the neck joint is good or not? are stress cracks subtle or kind of easy to see? and what exactly are pots?
Any hairline cracks in the coating will show up easily enough. Its not so common a problem as some people think. Top heaviness is a problem if the model is not a '60's style with the very light neck. Its worse on Epi's as their headstock is a bit bigger than Gibson's.
I suspect the guy is selling it because of the nose-diving but it is possible to improve that a lot. Putting a weight on the back of the strap works and the SG is so light you'd hardly notice it.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

I bought my son the G400 a few years back and its a good, inexpensive guitar. He loves it and after a set up, plays great.
where are the feasts we were promised?
I've got an epi g-400. The neck is heavey so it dips forward but get a leather strap might fix it. The electronics seem fine to me. Although replacing them for like 20 bucks is a good idea. The pickups are typical stock pups. Sometimes a little muddy but better then lower end epi's. I swapped mine out for a jb/jazz set and it sounds much better. I'd say for 250 go for it. Play it first, play it on a similar amp, and play standing up.
Agile AL3000
Douglas WRL90
SX SR1 STD Plus
J&D Strat
Squier Tele
Sammick TR2
Douglas Draco
Peavey JSX
Bugera V5
TWANGED VJ
i think its a solid guitar for the price with bad electronics (always replacable)
Gear

Ibanez RG1451 (Bareknuckle Aftermath bridge, Cold Sweat neck)
Jackson DK2T(Bareknuckle Miracle Man bridge,SD Jazz neck)
Ibanez RG321mh(SD JB bridge)
Epiphone SG-400,
Ibanez RG370DX,
Vintage V6

Pod X3 into KRK RP8 G2's
Quote by Dimeborg
So the stock pickups aren't typically very good? Can you compensate for the top-heaviness by moving one of the strap buttons or anything?

I think you can move the one behind the neck to the upper horn like the Tommy Iommi SG to permanently fix it without making it ugly. I'm not sure if it actually works in practice, but it does in theory
I have the Tony Iommi SG and the guitar is a little less prone to be neck heavy where they put the strap button but it still seems to want to still dip a little. I always check the neck joint on SG because they are neck heavy and a lot of them seem to land on the the neck when they drop I have seen some that were probably just cracks in the finish but I always shy away. I have had several SGs snap at the neck joint in the past and they did fairly easy. I love SGs but I am doubly cautious with them I wish Gibson and Epi would make them with longer neck tendons or just straight neck troughs. It would make me fee a lot more confident in the construction.

You'll have to post pics of it if you decide to buy it.

John
They're good guitars, and for $250 you can't go wrong, really.
Make sure you play it first. Make sure the neck is straight, no buzzing on the frets, crackling controls, etc. Sounds like a good deal.
great guitar, i think the neck heaviness is something you can get used to, but my neck pickup is a but muddy too
is it a g-400 deluxe or just a g-400?
mine plays good after i had the input jack taken out and replaced and after a little tweaking of the pickup position.
Quote by Punk_Ninja

Also caught her playing fallout boy on my guitar, changed my strings and cleaned it the next day. A week later it was greenday.
If she does anythign like that again I'm going to snap her drumsticks, kick her bass drum in and frisbee her cymbals.

I have the Tony Iommi G-400 and it was supposed to come with the strap button on the horn,but for some reason mine didn't.After about 9 months I moved the strap button to the horn and put strap locks on.I also use a nice wide leather strap.So now the neck problem isn't so bad.
I've no idea about the stock pick-ups because mine came fitted with the gibson Tony Iommi's and I can tell you they are great pick-ups.
As for people saying the pots are too muddy,keep in mind they come stock with a 500k vol pot.
Apparntly changing to a 1 meg pot really brings the pick-up to life.
IMO by getting saving some money and buying a G-400 instead of an epi LP you can use the money you saved to get better parts.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Quote by Ian hawkins
I have the Tony Iommi G-400 and it was supposed to come with the strap button on the horn,but for some reason mine didn't.After about 9 months I moved the strap button to the horn and put strap locks on.I also use a nice wide leather strap.So now the neck problem isn't so bad.
I've no idea about the stock pick-ups because mine came fitted with the gibson Tony Iommi's and I can tell you they are great pick-ups.
As for people saying the pots are too muddy,keep in mind they come stock with a 500k vol pot.
Apparntly changing to a 1 meg pot really brings the pick-up to life.
IMO by getting saving some money and buying a G-400 instead of an epi LP you can use the money you saved to get better parts.

How did you move the strap button to the horn? Was the guitar set up for it already but just not attached? I've been interested in doing this on my SG, but it doesn't look like there's any sturdy place for it.
guitar
amp

some pedals
Well on the VERY tip of the horn right in the middle,I just drilled a hole in.
If your going to do it,I would suggest going through the whole pilot hole thing and do a really GOOD job of it.
And IMO it hasn't ruined the look of the guitar.Just don't put it in the cut-aways.I think the gibson Tony Iommi signature has the button behind the horn.If you really want to,try taping the strap to the horn for a week or so to see if you like it.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Quote by Aznswimmer117
great guitar, i think the neck heaviness is something you can get used to, but my neck pickup is a but muddy too

It's not some thing you should get used to. I couldn't play a solo standing up with it because I always had to have a tight grip on the neck. That's why I'm getting rid of it. I put 2 Dirty Finger in mine and it sounds amazing, but it's a pain in the ass to play.
Quote by tome567
is it a g-400 deluxe or just a g-400?

It's a deluxe. Is there a major difference?
Quote by Dimeborg
Hey All. I'm thinking of buying an Epiphone SG-400 off of Craigslist. I've gone around and done some research and they seem to get pretty good reviews, but before I buy I thought I'd try and tap into the well of knowledge here at UG. Like I said, it's a 7 month old Epiphone SG-400 Deluxe, the guy's asking $250 for it. Does that sound like a good deal, or can anyone give me any advice on what to check for to make sure its not a piece of crap. I've already checked the two guides on UG, I just want to make an informed purchase. Pics are below. Thanks!

(Invalid img)

(Invalid img)

(Invalid img)

(Invalid img)
better off getting a real Gibson. Superior tone wood, electro pups. Or try a kit from precision guitar.
Quote by attilathehun
better off getting a real Gibson. Superior tone wood, electro pups. Or try a kit from precision guitar.