On the Telecaster Thinline 72, once you switch from 250K to 500K pots, the pickups sound less muddy.

However, some people still complain it's not clear enough. So I'm wondering...what would a switch to 1 meg pots do?
Quote by whatsgood1172
i just wired a 500k to my single coil emg pickups.

that = nothing

In anycase, a common mod on the '72 tele deluxe and thinlines is to swap the 250k pots for a 1meg to get a more open humbucker sound. If you REALLY want to, you can put some real gibby style HB's in there with just one more hole in your pickguard. It's not the cleanest looking mod, but it gets you much better tone.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Quote by Thomme
that = nothing

In anycase, a common mod on the '72 tele deluxe and thinlines is to swap the 250k pots for a 1meg to get a more open humbucker sound. If you REALLY want to, you can put some real gibby style HB's in there with just one more hole in your pickguard. It's not the cleanest looking mod, but it gets you much better tone.

Exactly. But in any case, I wanna know if anyone here has done 1 meg as opposed to stopping at 500K, and see what their thoughts are.
Quote by whatsgood1172
i just wired a 500k to my single coil emg pickups.

If theyre active, then thats entirely pointless. You use 50/25k pots on active pickups, generally.
The more resistance of a pot, the less signal from the pickup will go to ground. You get less high frequency bleed off due to the pickup voltage not overcoming the 1M ohm of resistance, therefore it goes to the input of the amp.
I love all 5 (sold a couple) of my Carvin X-100b's.