Live in the Northeast USA where it is very dry in Winter and more humid in Summer. How often should I get my guitar set up as it becomes difficult to play sometimes as the bridge height is too high and then again sometimes I get fret buzz?????

Bob J
Quote by Hipgrncln
Live in the Northeast USA where it is very dry in Winter and more humid in Summer. How often should I get my guitar set up as it becomes difficult to play sometimes as the bridge height is too high and then again sometimes I get fret buzz?????

Bob J

You should not be relying on set-ups from time to time to keep your guitar happy and healthy. You need to be humidifying in the winter for sure, and possibly dehumidifying in the summer if it gets very humid. Buy a hygrometer (device that measures humidity). Most manufacturers, luthiers, and technicians agree that 40-55% is a good range. Any long-term exposure to humidity outside of that range could permanently weaken the structural integrity of your guitar. This is especially true of all-solid wood guitars. With just a solid-top guitar you can get away with a lot more, but not humidifying AT ALL in such a dry climate is pretty much asking for problems down the road.

The fact that your guitar is reacting so apparently to the humidity changes is a bad sign.
Quote by sunshowers
The fact that your guitar is reacting so apparently to the humidity changes is a bad sign.

Nah, it really isn't. Many acoustics need adjustment as the seasons change. If it is really a drastic change, it likely means the guitar wasn't set up correctly to begin with.

For the TS, here in CT, my guitars get adjusted roughly between each season. I usually leave them in hard cases, without humidifiers, year round. The cases regulate humidity quite nicely. However, you may want to look in to humidifiers if you suspect it may be an issue.