Hey guys, I currently have a solid state amp that has some pretty nice cleans, but I don't really like the distortion.
I'm looking for a tube amp around $400 that's versatile and won't just give me one tone - I'm looking for something like Johnny Greenwood's tone, with two channels, good cleans and some good distortion. I need something I can gig with but I don't wanna overdue it on wattage, so what are your guys' recommendations?
Thanks, dudes
Save more and look for a used Vox AC30. That's what Jonny uses.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
400 $ won't get you that in terms of tone quality, single-tonal amps might for less, but a dual-channeled will simply NOT.

Still, check out traynor ycv series, might if you can't reach the ac30's price. For 450 canadian a fellow musician got himself one, while they will not cause a revolution in guitar amplification they are a great value for the money and around your prices too.

A peavey classic 30 is to consider also.

Still, an ac30 is never a bad investment, even if you get tired of radiohead the amp will outlast you for a long and reliable life with plenty of tonal bliss.
I love music, if music would be a girl then I'd date her, until then let's get back on Earth
Alright, I know Johnny Greenwood uses an AC30 but I didn't wanna spend that kind of cash. Would you guys recommend the Vox AC15?
I'm going to +1 finding some used older Traynors.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
jonny runs two amps, as does the rest of radiohead. They all use AC30s for cleans primarily, with thom running a twin reverb in addition to the AC30. A used Twin or AC30 is going to get you that sound, and they use a ProCo Rat (or in Jonny's case a Marshall Shredmaster) for the majority of their dirty sounds
Alright, but on a semi tight budget would you guys recommend the AC15 as for emulating that tone? I'm aware of the gear Radiohead uses but can't spend a fortune, I'm planning on getting a ProCo Rat but I'm just wondering if an AC15 will give me comparable tone and be able to play cleans at gig-volume without breaking up.
Well ... I've seen used AC30s for $800 or so, but really not much cheaper than that.

The Vox Night Train is a small Tiny Terror-like (15W, I think?) amp that comes out in May. There's a scant few sound clips around, check youtube and google. I think it may work for you. It's $499.

(Naturally you'd have to pair it with a nice cabinet and speaker and for that I'd recommend Avatar or Lopo Line cabs and the speaker choices are obvious)

Frankly it's tough to achieve lovely big chimes for $400. Here's a though: get a used Fender Blues Jr or a used Peavey Classic 30 (each can be had around $300) and then later upgrade the tubes and the speaker to make it more Voxy.
Guitars
1996 Rickenbacker 360 Jetglo "Christine"
2003 Schecter S1 Blackjack w/ SD JB/59 "Lenore"
Gear
Lopo Line 1x12 w/ WGS British Lead 80
Blackstar HT-5 (buying)
Pedals: GE-7 EQ | BBE SS | V847
I could probably push my budget up to about $600, so would an AC15 do the job?
Quote by ToTheMax32
I could probably push my budget up to about $600, so would an AC15 do the job?

If you want cleans at gig volume without a mic, you should probably look elsewhere.
The AC15 is a great amp, but it will most likely break up by the time you hit gig volume, unless you have a really quiet drummer.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

ENDLESS FEEDBACK MANIPULATOR σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
I guess miking the amp wouldn't be a problem for the most part. Is the AC15 a good idea?
Doesnt one of them use a solid state fender for distortion, and the Vox for cleans?
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Nvm, an ac15 would be best idealy.
G&L Tribute S-500 -> Ernie Ball VP -> Boss SD-1 -> Fulltone OCD -> Small Stone Phaser -> Danelectro Cool Cat Tremolo -> Boss DD-3 -> Boss RE-20 -> TC Electronic Hall of Reverb -> Boss RC-2 -------> Modded Crate v18 Amp

www.wearewerebear.com
Last edited by Greenwood991 at Mar 28, 2009,
I found a really sick deal on a peavey classic 50. Is it versatile enough for the kind of tone I'm looking for?
Quote by ToTheMax32
I found a really sick deal on a peavey classic 50. Is it versatile enough for the kind of tone I'm looking for?

I've heard those are pretty versatile amps

But are you sure you want a 50 watt tube amp? I have a 30 watt tube amp and its already plenty loud for band practices and playing over drummers.
Gear:
'50s National Archtop
Squier Classic Vibe '60s Tele
Squier Affinity Strat
Gibson Melody Maker
Vox AC-15
50s Stella Parlor Acoustic

MOAR FIRST ACT
I was there
I don't necessarily need the 50 watts, but I've found a very good deal on a used one so I figured I may as well get it if it'll work for me.
Generally used Classic 50s are only slightly (if at all) more expensive than used Classic 30s. If you're looking for headroom, it's a better choice. I got mine for $350, for the record.
First off, I'd look into a good clean amp, because you can use pedals for OD but you can get clean sounds from a pedal. I'd check out the Vox AC15, and if you're willing to look around on Ebay/Craigslist, look and listen to a Silvertone 1484.
I tried an AC15 and found it noiser and not as sweet as an AC30. I'd really suggest looking at a used Twin (which I've seen go below 700 easily) for a radiohead clean, since Jonny used to use those during The Bends, and Thom uses them in conjunction with an AC30 to this day.
I found a 70s silverface Fender Twin Reverb on craigslist for $500 - sounds like a great deal. I guess I should probably go for that?
Quote by ToTheMax32

Do it. I have one, and I play Radiohead very frequently. You will still need a distortion pedal down the road though.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
I'm planning on getting a Rat clone from general guitar gadgets - that should work, right?
Quote by ToTheMax32
I found a 70s silverface Fender Twin Reverb on craigslist for $500 - sounds like a great deal. I guess I should probably go for that?

Hell yea.
My money's kinda tied up right now, so I might not be able to get that one before it's sold, but I found a '65 reissue for $475 that'll be available for a bit longer, should I try for that one?
Last edited by ToTheMax32 at Mar 29, 2009,
Quote by ToTheMax32
My money's kinda tied up right now, so I might not be able to get that one before it's sold, but I found a '65 reissue for $475 that'll be available for a bit longer, should I try for that one?

That still sounds good.