OK, I got asked this the other day and found that I could not answer it in any other way than "it's vintage." Here goes: What is the deal with the Fender Vintage Basses?

I know that they're modeled after something really old and revered... but do they really play and sound better? The best I've ever tried from Fender was American Deluxe, so I have no way of knowing. But I'd like to know once and for all if Vintage really does at least sound better than the other Fenders, or if I'm paying the extra couple hundred bucks just to be able to say that I bought Vintage?

Cheers.
Equipment:
-Ibanez GIO
-Fender American Standard Strat HSS
-Acoustic Schneider Guitar
-ARIA STB-PB-DX Bass
-Vox VT50AD-XL
-Roland Cube-30 Bass
-Digitech RP-250
-Blue guitar pick
Proud Member of UG's 80's Rock Fan Club
I haven't tried them myself but unless they get really old wood that's dried out fully(like a real vintage bass would be) vintage in this case means only that it meets the build specs such as neck width and such. They also might use replica pickups.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
it sounds the same, it feels better. that is the difference.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Are you talking American Vintage series, or an actual vintage instrument?

If it's an American Vintage series, you're basically paying for the fact that they are using the construction techniques of olde, and as such it's going to cost more due to lack of efficiency. That, and the nitro finish.

If it's an actual vintage instrument, the fact of the matter is they don't make them like they used to, and the numbers are much smaller. Plus, condition is really touchy with vintage instruments, since their finish was just a bit more stable than brushing butter on wood. Plus, they're old-growth wood (the main reason) that have probably reached humidity equilibrium at the time. Plus, some people think those old electronics sound best.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
Are you talking American Vintage series, or an actual vintage instrument?

If it's an American Vintage series, you're basically paying for the fact that they are using the construction techniques of olde, and as such it's going to cost more due to lack of efficiency. That, and the nitro finish.

If it's an actual vintage instrument, the fact of the matter is they don't make them like they used to, and the numbers are much smaller. Plus, condition is really touchy with vintage instruments, since their finish was just a bit more stable than brushing butter on wood. Plus, they're old-growth wood (the main reason) that have probably reached humidity equilibrium at the time. Plus, some people think those old electronics sound best.

Yeah, I meant the Fender American Vintage Bass line.
Equipment:
-Ibanez GIO
-Fender American Standard Strat HSS
-Acoustic Schneider Guitar
-ARIA STB-PB-DX Bass
-Vox VT50AD-XL
-Roland Cube-30 Bass
-Digitech RP-250
-Blue guitar pick
Proud Member of UG's 80's Rock Fan Club