so i have a couple of cheap guitars and i was thinking, why not put them to use and do something with them? one of them is kind of a Tele copy which is not that bad actually, but ive made it my slide only guitar. ive raised the action for this one. ive always had tuning problems with this gutiar and there seemed to be a lot of tension on the strings for some reason. so i figured ill keep it in an open tuning that way im not bending the strings out of tune all the time.

so my other guitar i was thinking of making into a fretless. now ive seen a couple of vids online of people who did this. one thing i saw was they were heating up the frets before pulling them out, which i guess is easy enough. but where can i find a tool to pull the frets out? is there an actual tool for this? is there something i can find at any tool store instead?

also, is there anything else i need to do? im guessing ill need to fill in the slots where the frets were with wood filler but is there anything else to consider?
Ordinary pliers should work for pulling the frets out, though I'll admit I've only ever pulled one fret myself.
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by handbanana
wiliscool is just plain dumb
ive done this before
the reason they heat up the frets is to melt the glue if the frets are glued in, but they probably wont be.
i used these
http://www.hardwarestore.com/media/product/113880_front200.jpg
anything similar should work

youre filling the gaps with epoxy yes?
Quote by TunerAddict
BEST PAINTJOB EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That is the sickest paint job in all of GB&C

Hawaiian Shirt Guy Of the Australia FTW! Club.
PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join.
Australians only.

I did this too but I used some crappy finger nail clipers and pliers.
Hearing about a pair of great boobs is like hearing about a really cool bug or lizard as a kid and you just gotta see it.
Quote by guitarcam123
i wouldn't do it to your only playable guitar... Buy a cheapy from a pawn shop

yes, i've heard fretless guitars are really hard to play - much harder than a bass - due to there being less room for error in where you put your fingers. also, the guitar sounds completely different - nothing like a fretted guitar. not that I'm nay saying - I think it's a cool idea. But I would recomend doing it on an ultra cheapo.
yeah, you have to get it exactly where the fret used to be, maybe put some light coloured dust in the epoxy?
and youll need flatwound strings so you dont screw up your fretboard
Quote by TunerAddict
BEST PAINTJOB EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That is the sickest paint job in all of GB&C

Hawaiian Shirt Guy Of the Australia FTW! Club.
PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join.
Australians only.

Quote by guitarcam123
i wouldn't do it to your only playable guitar... Buy a cheapy from a pawn shop

no i ment i have to cheap ones. i have two other guitars that im not doing anything to as well as two acoustics. so i have 5 electrics and one of them is the one i want fretless.

actually, i was thinking today of getting a mini gutiar to do this too. it would make the lower neck stuff easier to play because i wouldnt have to stretch as much.
Quote by The_Kelaninator
ive done this before
the reason they heat up the frets is to melt the glue if the frets are glued in, but they probably wont be.
i used these
http://www.hardwarestore.com/media/product/113880_front200.jpg
anything similar should work

youre filling the gaps with epoxy yes?

ummm i dont know. i just assumed id some wood filler, that liquid paste type of stuff that goes in to the slots and then smooth it out once it dries.
I'd use finish nail pulling pliers (idk if this is the actual name but its is wat we use them for in carpentry) they look kinda like a birds beak.

Edit: I used wood filler on mine and I thought it came out alright just file the wholes first as to make sure that they are completely straight or it is easily noticeable
Last edited by devinb132 at Mar 27, 2009,