What is the deal with the Treble, Bass, Tone, and Contour knobs on an amp? I can hear the difference but i don't know how to 'shape' it into what i want to hear. Can anyone explain to me what these are? And also separate the descriptions of the Tone knobs. Because i got three of them. Two on the guitar and one on the amp and pedals.
*reserved* for later.
R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio. Supplied amazing music to both me and my mother.

He will be missed.
bass - controls the low end, the thump, the deepness
mid - the middle honky frequencies
treble - the very highs, the brightness or top end
contour - generally acts as the opposite of a mid knob, the more you turn it up, the less mids you have
tone on the guitar - generally basically rolls of the treble of your guitar

you aren't tone deaf, it just takes a while to develop an ear for these things. Set all the controls on your amp at noon and start moving them back and forth on at a time, experimenting and see what happens.
Some amps have way better EQ's too.
For example a line 6 spiders EQ's are really weak, and all have to be turned all the way up
Same goes for most other low-entry SS amps.
Good amps have strong EQ's that you can obviously hear though.
100w Peavey Valveking Head
Mesa Rectifier 4x12 Standard Cab
Ibanez RG 321
Boss DD-7
iSP Decimator x2
BBE Boosta Grande
Modded Crybaby
MXR Blue Box
Numark Power Conditioner
Korg DTR-1000
Quote by Say Ocean
bass - controls the low end, the thump, the deepness
mid - the middle honky frequencies
treble - the very highs, the brightness or top end
contour - generally acts as the opposite of a mid knob, the more you turn it up, the less mids you have
tone on the guitar - generally basically rolls of the treble of your guitar

you aren't tone deaf, it just takes a while to develop an ear for these things. Set all the controls on your amp at noon and start moving them back and forth on at a time, experimenting and see what happens.

OMG and actual nice and informative person? I didn't think they existed in this forum. Thank you so much! finally!

And why do people Slam line 6's so much? i hear that there good and then i hear that there not then i hear that the people that slam them are on the bandwagon. Im so confused.
Last edited by Xaxu at Mar 27, 2009,

OMG and actual nice and informative person? I didn't think they existed in this forum. Thank you so much! finally!

Yeah, You'll get no sympathy in the pit. Gear forums is the place to go buddy.

Edit: Bugger, I should look more carefully when I post in the mornings
'Always outnumbed, never outgunned'
PSN + XBL: Jimsworthy

Charvel So-Cal ProMod Black
Ibanez RG350Dx W/ Duncans
Blackstar HT Stage 100
ASshdown 4x12
Morley George Lynch Dragon Wah II
The only Line6 products that are really shite are the solid state Spiders. I have no experience with the POD series, but I can say that the Spider Valves, Flextones and Vettas I've played are all brilliant amps for what they are. They also make some footpedals that are great, like the Line6 Verbzilla and the DL4 delay modeler.

The people who bash all Line6 products are idiots who base their entire judgement of a brand based on one product. Which is like saying all Marshall's suck because of the MG.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
The "colour" doesn't change much with amp eq, and they are like the 3rd poster said. More to round things out.

Really a guitar should sounds decent when all the knobs are halfway. If you need days to mess with an amp eq, then the amp is not good.

edit; to the user above, I agree that you shouldn't bash an entire line for a product.

I agree, line 6 pod is quite nice for recording, cause unless you got high quality speakers, all the frequencies and dynamics of a tube amp are not audible on the "Standard" (pc)speakers/earphones people have.

I have problems with the modelling amps in general, cause they sound like "a guitar sound in a box", and I mean that literally.

There sound is not bad, but they have 1 sound, it's to exact so it gets stale after a while.

With a tube amp, how the notes go into harmonics, and how the overdrive on the amp breaks up is slightly different every time, more dynamic.

It's just because of how a tubeamp produces sound that it makes it more interesting.

Digital amps have the tendency to sound stale over time, because you (consciously or subconsciously) will get used to all the algorithms of the sound.

A tube amp isn't necessarily better, but a good tube amp will have a more lively tone, cause it's really being "made" on the spot.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Mar 27, 2009,
Quote by xxdarrenxx
The "colour" doesn't change much with amp eq, and they are like the 3rd poster said. More to round things out.

Really a guitar should sounds decent when all the knobs are halfway. If you need days to mess with an amp eq, then the amp is not good.

....no....

Every amp is different. Some are more sensitive, not every amp is a plug in and play, and it certainly doesn't mean they are bad.
Quote by Say Ocean
....no....

Every amp is different. Some are more sensitive, not every amp is a plug in and play, and it certainly doesn't mean they are bad.

Yes.

Ofcourse putting bass on 10 and treble on 1 will sound bad.

But if you turn on an amp, then you should be able to get a decent sound within 20 minutes on it.

The amp sound is not changing, and the eq isn't either, so why should it take days to get a good sound of an amp.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by xxdarrenxx
Yes.

Ofcourse putting bass on 10 and treble on 1 will sound bad.

But if you turn on an amp, then you should be able to get a decent sound within 20 minutes on it.

The amp sound is not changing, and the eq isn't either, so why should it take days to get a good sound of an amp.

A lot of amps are really sensitive, especially nicer ones. It's easy to get something decent out of a mark IV, but it can take a LONG time to find a really good sound, YOUR sound. There are so many options. Rectos can also be hard to find the perfect sound from because the controls are interactive, but that also lets it do a lot of different things. But when you do find your sweet spot, it's oh-so-sweet
I was about to say, Mesa = two days tweaking and re-tweaking. I borrowed an old Lonestar for a gig once and I could only ever get a passable tone out of it in the two hours before the gig. I know it would have killed if i'd had longer though.