So I got my first bass earlier this month, after having my guitar totally wrecked and rusted from moving. Also because I just like the deep sound better. I have been practicing about and hour to two hours a day. I've made progress, and in the first few days I could play 3 songs, albiet short, easy ones, but my favorite songs nonetheless. I'm super excited about it, and am far better at it then I was at guitar.

But when I attempted guitar, after about 45minutes of playing my fingers would be blistered, bleeding and painful. I'd play through it, knowing eventually I'd get callouses and this wouldn't happen often. I saw the pain and bleeding and such as 'progress' and kept at it until the death of my guitar.

Well, now with bass I practice twice if not three-times as much and my fingers are still 'intact'. It makes me feel like I'm not trying as hard... Is there a difference between the... I don't know how to word this... uhm... pain levels... of the two? Wouldn't the thicker strings make for it touching the skin more and thus, more blisters? If I need to practice more, I have time. I'm homeschooled, too young to have a job yet, and am utterly friendless.

Feel free to tell me if I sound like a rambling idiot.
Last edited by LexxyThirteen at Mar 27, 2009,
I've been playing bass for about 7 years now and I only really got blisters on my right hand when I played with my fingers only. Even though I mostly play with a pick, the callouses are still there, though not as thick as they used to be.

If anything, the only "pain" you should have on your left hand is just your fingers getting tired from holding the strings down since they are so much bigger than guitar strings. Play with your fingers for a few hours a day, then you're start feeling some pain
Quote by Pazuzu195
I've been playing bass for about 7 years now and I only really got blisters on my right hand when I played with my fingers only. Even though I mostly play with a pick, the callouses are still there, though not as thick as they used to be.

If anything, the only "pain" you should have on your left hand is just your fingers getting tired from holding the strings down since they are so much bigger than guitar strings. Play with your fingers for a few hours a day, then you're start feeling some pain

Play with my fingers? I don't use a pick anyway and it doesn't hurt at all...
Because guitar strings are thinner than bass strings they give more pressure on the fingertips, which results in faster blisters.
Yeah there's a huge misconception that bass strings are harder on the fingers, really what should be said is that, you probably need more force to fret a bass, since the action is, well, not exactly higher, but harder. Guitar strings hurt more because they are really thin and only cover a fraction of the finger tips unlike bass strings which cover half or more of your finger tips usually. I've learned that from my adventure into the world of guitar and bass.
especially acoustic guitar strings.
blemonese of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
Quote by camhussynec
Its like getting anal for the first time. It hurts like hell but eventully ull get used to it and itll feel fine

Thanks for nothing
yes, guitar strings are like a "cheesewire" type scenario.

playing though pain can be detremental though I don't reccomend it. unless playing live etc. where you don't have a choise.
Thanks everyone.

Yeah, I get what you're saying about the guitar strings being thinner.

Thanks for answering my questions without getting testy with me.