Ok people, is the Ibanez Tube King a good distortion pedal?

What are your experiences with it if you have any?

I currently own a 100W Fender 2x12" and my current means of distortion comes from a Boss ME-20 Multi-FX pedal. My guitars are in my sig.

The distortion on my amp doesn't really go past "rough" over-drive territory and the pedal distortion sux, I only wanted a wah and fair reverb, chorus/flanger and compressor from it and it does that.

I play a lot of different stuff from clean classic blues with a slide to metal-core and most of everything in between. The amp does cleans well enough so I'm good with that.

I would like a distortion that gets a good Tool-like sound going but can also go heavier and the fact this one apparantly can make SS amps sound pretty "tubey" all things considered (the fact that theyr SS amps...) has drawn me to it.

Also, do you have to wait for the 12AX7 tube in the pedal to warm up like a tube amp's tubes?
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Genz Benz El Diablo 100w -> Framus Dragon 412
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
Last edited by James13v at Mar 27, 2009,
I haven't tried the Tube King reissue, but I had two of the original Tube King's, US and Japanese models. They have a very smooth sound and can do anything from a light breakup to a somewhat heavy Marshall crunch. The 12AX7 doesn't really do much for your sound. It's being run in starvation mode, so the preamp tube isn't getting the proper power it needs to really contribute to your sound.
Quote by Guitarmiester
I haven't tried the Tube King reissue, but I had two of the original Tube King's, US and Japanese models. They have a very smooth sound and can do anything from a light breakup to a somewhat heavy Marshall crunch. The 12AX7 doesn't really do much for your sound. It's being run in starvation mode, so the preamp tube isn't getting the proper power it needs to really contribute to your sound.

Ahk, the new one's apparantly are running the tube "un-starved" at high DC voltage I will go try one out in the shop near me I guess, if they have any, i doubt they will but so am trying to get as much info as possible from ppl. Not many ppl seem to have any experience with the new re-issue one's however
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
the original is great but im not sure about the reissue.mastodon use the original so that will give u a rough idea of the tone
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Quote by Eggmond
the original is great but im not sure about the reissue.mastodon use the original so that will give u a rough idea of the tone

Sweet, love Mastodon lol, thanks gives some better insight.
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9