I have played guitar for just over 2 years, and i practice seriously probably about 40 hours a week, however even though i have spent countless hours trying to improve, my picking speed, is absolute garbage. I can comfortably play 16ths at about 90bpm, and with tension about 110. I think this stems from my wrists lack of mobility, i have always picked from the wrist, but my motion has always been slighty "slanted", my hand doesnt follow a straight vertical path, and it tends to try to move horizontally, has anyone else had this issue, and can someone please explain in "EXTREME DETAIL", the exact motion they're picking hand makes.

any other tips regarding right hand efficiency would be appreciated....thank you

(btw, i am an economy picker, and i root my last 2 or 3 fingers on the body depending on speed)
Anchoring will probably limit your speed, and the best way to get quicker is to stop focusing on speed and instead focus on technique, accuracy and increasing the coordination between your picking and fretting hands - if you practice at a speed faster than you can play accurately you are practicing the mistakes, and embedding them in your playing.
Quote by Sithmaul
I have played guitar for just over 2 years, and i practice seriously probably about 40 hours a week, however even though i have spent countless hours trying to improve, my picking speed, is absolute garbage. I can comfortably play 16ths at about 90bpm, and with tension about 110. I think this stems from my wrists lack of mobility, i have always picked from the wrist, but my motion has always been slighty "slanted", my hand doesnt follow a straight vertical path, and it tends to try to move horizontally, has anyone else had this issue, and can someone please explain in "EXTREME DETAIL", the exact motion they're picking hand makes.

any other tips regarding right hand efficiency would be appreciated....thank you

(btw, i am an economy picker, and i root my last 2 or 3 fingers on the body depending on speed)

I think theres your problem, anchoring
Quote by Shred Head
You have an atrocious sense of humour!

Quote by StrayCatBlues
You win 100 hilarity points.

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
you're a funny, funny man, chimp in a tux... funny indeed.
Well thats the thing, when i dont anchor i get the feeling that something is not right with my wrist, like it doesnt flow vertically and i have spent countless hours trying to fix it, it moves in a jagged slanted motion...thats the only reason i anchor

also, i dont practice at fast speeds i practice intelligently and start slow and work my way up, i know precision is the key
Last edited by Sithmaul at Mar 27, 2009,
When moving across the strings, move your forearm from the elbow. This will make sure that your picking hand will be in the same horizontal position from the low e through to the high e.

You're an economy picker, I don't know if you sweep much, but when you sweep, the movement of the forearm from the elbow is very obvious, and economy picking is just a baby version of this.

Try it without anchoring, so your picking hand fingers are lightly curled up into the hand.

Just practice 3 nps on open strings using this forearm motion. Yes, there is meant to be some wrist movement aswell. Then try fretting some licks that you know.
Last edited by mdc at Mar 27, 2009,
Well thats the thing, when i dont anchor i get the feeling that something is not right with my wrist, like it doesnt flow vertically and i have spent countless hours trying to fix it, it moves in a jagged slanted motion...thats the only reason i anchor

That's because you don't have arm control. You've got to practice really slowly when unanchored and pay very close attention to picking through the string in a relaxed fashion. Learn to feel the strings pushing back on your arm, and relax through it.

Also, chasing after speed doesn't really work. What you've got to do is focus on accuracy, tone and clarity, and believe it or not, speed will come.
Wow, 40 hours a week is a lot. I normally just get about an hour a day in with my busy scheduel.
"I'd rather be hated for who I am, than loved for who I am not."

~ Kurt Cobain ~