Ok guys, im looking at buying a new distortion pedal and it has come down to 2 pedals now.

1) DigiTech Grunge Distortion Guitar Effects Pedal
2) DigiTech Hot Head Distortion Guitar Effects Pedal

If you could, please tell me which one of these is better because by the reviews, they both look the same. But i want the best tone for the money. So if you can post pros and cons for both and i would be grateful. If your wondering i play mostly metal.
Practice makes perfect... but why practice... nobody's perfect.
Last edited by jstncamp at Mar 27, 2009,
neither of them, i cant stand digitech stuff...
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
Don't EVER go Digitech for a distortion pedal, especially if it's the Death Metal (I know you're not looking for that, but just for future reference)

What kind of amp are you running through?
what kind of metal? the digitech hardwire metal dist isnt bad for more modern metal and the ehx metal muff might be worth a try too, havent tried the pedals you listed
Gear

Ibanez RG1451 (Bareknuckle Aftermath bridge, Cold Sweat neck)
Jackson DK2T(Bareknuckle Miracle Man bridge,SD Jazz neck)
Ibanez RG321mh(SD JB bridge)
Epiphone SG-400,
Ibanez RG370DX,
Vintage V6

Pod X3 into KRK RP8 G2's
cmon he just wants to practice and doesnt seem like he'll be gigging any time soon.. he doesnt need to spend $xxxx on an amp like you guys would recommend

even if it is bees in a can sounding it'll have all the gain in the world.. sooner or later he'll upgrade. and digitech pedals are cheap anyway

just go with the grunge.. or the boss mt2 or something.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Congrats dude. I kinda want a BJ too 'cause I like them so much. I'll check your clipz later.

Both those are terrible.

Yes I've owned both of them, and they're absolutely wretched in every sense.
the mt2 is just nasty imo
Gear

Ibanez RG1451 (Bareknuckle Aftermath bridge, Cold Sweat neck)
Jackson DK2T(Bareknuckle Miracle Man bridge,SD Jazz neck)
Ibanez RG321mh(SD JB bridge)
Epiphone SG-400,
Ibanez RG370DX,
Vintage V6

Pod X3 into KRK RP8 G2's
I'd go without before buying either of those. "Just practicing" doesn't justify such a low level of gear.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Well, i had a electro harmonix metal muff w/top boost, but that thing just straight up stopped working. It plays clean when it is turned on and i have no clue how to fix it. And im not going to spend money on it again if its going to do the same thing.
Try changing the battery in the Metal Muff.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
The only thing I use my metal muff for when I practice old sex pistols songs on my backup crate.
Last edited by [VictorinoX] at Mar 27, 2009,
I did that. I have no clue whats wrong. Weird. But yeah, if any of you could also help me fix the metal muff that would be even better. Ive tried changing batterys in it and it still just does not want to work. I had a little amp that had overdrive built in and when i turned the metal muff on and then the OD, it would make a slightly distorted sound with tons of buzz. Could it possibly be the cables that are doing it?
Quote by jstncamp
I did that. I have no clue whats wrong. Weird. But yeah, if any of you could also help me fix the metal muff that would be even better. Ive tried changing batterys in it and it still just does not want to work. I had a little amp that had overdrive built in and when i turned the metal muff on and then the OD, it would make a slightly distorted sound with tons of buzz. Could it possibly be the cables that are doing it?

You don't use an OD/Dist/ Fuzz Pedal with an amp's overdrive. All it'll do is oscillate the sound and cut through your playing. It says that on every pedal's manual.

Quote by LaidBack
Try changing the battery in the Metal Muff.

^ This, or just get a One-spot Adapter from Guitar Center.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Visual-Sound-1-SPOT-12V-DC-Power-Adapter-for-Wireless-151693-i1124563.gc

^ I don't even bother with using the company recommended adapters, cause these things kick so much ass.
Yea i know, I never did before the pedal broke. Only reason i mixed it is because the pedals distortion will not work, i dont know whats wrong with it. All it does is play clean. So i turn OD and my pedal on and it distorts it very little. Without the OD on now it is just clean. I never used the pedal with OD before it broke.
Yah, no **** bro hate playing without distortion and the gain on my amp just isn't enough to satisfy my needs . I dont want to spend alot on a distortion pedal atm. Im looking for a decent pedal inbetween $40-60. I know there has to be one out there. If i could really afford it (Not much money left lost my job) then id definetly buy another metal muff because thats the best sounding pedal ive quite possibly ever heard. I also thought about buying the Boss DS-1 but i heard those things just plain blow. Not enough gain from them.
They're good for some stuff, but if you're looking to play the really heavy ****, they just can't hold their own. IMO, go for a used ProCo Rat or even a new Turbo Rat if you can.
Its not like heavy heavy metal. Most isnt even metal. But i like to play Avenged Sevenfold, Alesana, Bullet for my Valentine (once in a while), Rise agaisnt, Silverstein. Any ideas of a good pedal that can do it for those?
Quote by scott58
I'd go without before buying either of those. "Just practicing" doesn't justify such a low level of gear.

Get real. Of course it does. As much as you may think contrary mr tone master, it is just fine on the ears and will give a usable metal tone.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Congrats dude. I kinda want a BJ too 'cause I like them so much. I'll check your clipz later.