I'm looking to get a Blackheart Killer Ant Head or an Epiphone Valve Jr head. I don't really want to spend more than $150, and I can get the Killer ant for that much.

I have a crappy fender frontman amp. The speaker is wired directly to the amp. My question is, can I cut those wires and hook up a 1/4" input jack to them so that the speaker could accept the output from one of those heads? If so, can anyone give me a part number from radio shack?

Thanks.
please use the search bar there's a great tutorial on this i just did this recently.
Deacon of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join
speed demon of the UG Jeepers
Member of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM Hamish5178 to join~
your thread caught my eye, i work at a radioshack so i at least know the part number for you its 274-0312 for $3.99 for two(at least in michigan) ...make sure you research your head and the ohms from the head and the ohms your modified cabinet before any connections are made. otherwise, its totally possible and a good idea. peace
Awsome, thanks for the part number. And sorry for not searching first. I just did a search and found some good info.

I guess I have another question...I can get a slightly used Killer ant, and a new 12AY7 tube for ~165, and hook this up to my 8" speaker.

or

A local music store has a used Epiphone Valve Jr Half stack with the 1x12 cab for $150. Which is the recommended path ?

And thanks for helping a noob out!
get the valve jr stack provided its in good condition .. thats a good price. The 12' speaker will give you advantages over your 8' one.

and you dont have to deal with screwing with speaker cables and soldering jacks..
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Congrats dude. I kinda want a BJ too 'cause I like them so much. I'll check your clipz later.

Yea I guess the valve jr at that price is good, and it seems in good condition. I guess I was leaning towards the Killer ant because of the 1W. I'm pretty new at guitar and I don't like people hearing me play yet, haha. And I want that tube distortion without having to crank up the volume.
the VJ sounds like it'd be easier and more efficient. the 5 watts don't get too loud, so you should be okay.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

SOUND MASON σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Pickups for sale!
Ok I need help. Or I might just need to buy a cab

Anyway, I just received a Little Giant. I cut the speaker cable in my crappy fender frontman and I soldered up a 1/4" jack. But I get no sound from the speaker. I even hooked the speaker up to my tv receivers headphone jack and no noise. What gives?
just get a cab! none of this crazy electrical stuff!
╠═══════╬═══════╣

SOUND MASON σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Pickups for sale!
Haha but Im low on spending cash! I sold my aria pro ii to get the head!! Oh well.
Well that's great, but I got a little giant head and no can now cuz my solder skills suck I guess.
You need to get pics up of what you did and what you soldered where. Maybe make a thread in the building and customizing. You're probably going to need a multimeter too, if you don't own one already.

Don't run your amp without the speaker attached, maybe someone can figured out where you went wrong once you post pics

you need to use speaker gauge wire to the lugs on the speaker.
a speaker cable from the head to the jack on the combo,

unplug the combo , match the ohms and cover the watts.

if it's the fender 15W you're going to be hard pressed using that speaker.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I used the wire that was already connected to the speaker. I just cut it towards where it connected to the amp and soldered the jack on. The ohms do match and the combo says 38w on the back of it. I don't know. I guess I'll just buy a cab. I thought this was as easy as hooking up the wires but I guess not. And I don't want to blow my amp.

I did turn the amp on with the speaker attached and no sound so I turned it right off. I don't know.
I just tried resoldering it to another jack. No dice. When you say I'm hard pressed using that speaker what do you mean? That it won't work or won't sound good. I just want it to work for now.

I'll try to get pics up but I don't think it's gonna help
it's 38 peak watts on a fender 15 fm

i mean, that using a 15 w (not a very good one) it'll probably just buzz the speaker.

i know because my MG50 speaker couldnt handle my 5 w epi Vjr.

ok, but forget all that. if you soldered the wires that are connected to the speaker, to a jack.

and you selected correct ohms and such, then perhaps either your soldering is a miss, or the speaker isnt working on that fm15.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Ok, minor update. I am able to get my iphone to output to the speaker. I used an audio cable and a 1/4" converter and plugged it into the speaker and it works. But when I hook up the amp, I get nothing. No buzz no nothing, no sound from the guitar. So, could it be that this speaker just wont work? It's 8 ohms and I'm using the 8 ohm output and I have a speaker cable.

Edit, I know the speaker worked before I cut the wires, and also i know it now works with my iphone :/
did the amp light up when you turned it on?

the power plug is all the way into the amp?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Ok, I think we can attribute most of this night to my total noobness.

My first attempt at soldering definitely didn't work because the speaker didn't work with the iphone or TV receiver. Second attempt worked with the iphone and TV...but I was too afraid of blowing the amp that I didn't leave it on long enough. What a NOOB.

I turned it on and after about 5 seconds or so I started hearing things. It's ALIVE!!! The 8" definitely isn't the best speaker, but this amp already sounds better than that POS frontman amp.

Thanks everyone for your help and sorry for dragging you through this with me.

Cheers!