Page 1 of 2
Alright, so hybrid cars are supposed to be environmentally friendly because they use both gasoline and electricity. But isn't electricity made with gasoline? And I'm pretty sure you lose energy as you go down the refinement line (i.e. the more you refine something the more energy you lose), so wouldn't hybrids be LESS environmentally friendly and cause MORE emissions?

Or am I a dumbass?

(BTW I don't mean that gas turns into electricity)
Yes, mules are pretty environmentally friendly.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Timothym
Alright, so hybrid cars are supposed to be environmentally friendly because they use both gasoline and electricity. But isn't electricity made with gasoline? And I'm pretty sure you lose energy as you go down the refinement line (i.e. the more you refine something the more energy you lose), so wouldn't hybrids be LESS environmentally friendly and cause MORE emissions?

Or am I a dumbass?

ever heared of wind or water etc.
Quote by frankv
Tokio Hotel is probably the worst thing Germany has produced since WW2.

Quote by Kensai
Yes, mules are pretty environmentally friendly.

You obviously never had to walk behind one.

The environmental impact of hybrid vehicles is less than a car powered solely by gas/diesel.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Toast1337
ever heared of wind or water etc.

Yes. I'm pretty sure they aren't in widespread use.
Quote by Cianyx
Don't mules release toxic gasses when they fart?

Yes, and cows are even better at that. The only reason we're not using cars powered by cow farts is because nobody's figuered out how to attach an air tight box to a cow's behind.
Quote by Timothym

Or am I a dumbass?

Energy can never be created nor be destroyed, it can only change its form.Thus chow mein

What we need is some good old flintstones cars
I Beat Off Little Children..........

with sticks.

Quote by SteveHouse
I GoogleImage'd "shrug" to find an epic pic for this post. Instead I learned that a "shrug" is also an article of clothing.

My mind? Blown.
Quote by TheQuailman
Yes, and cows are even better at that. The only reason we're not using cars powered by cow farts is because nobody's figuered out how to attach an air tight box to a cow's behind.

DONT YOU INSULT OUR BOVINE BUDDIES...YOU.......YOU......quail??

with sticks.

Quote by SteveHouse
I GoogleImage'd "shrug" to find an epic pic for this post. Instead I learned that a "shrug" is also an article of clothing.

My mind? Blown.
Quote by TheQuailman

A vaccum cleaner up it's ass?
Quote by god of lamb
Energy can never be created nor be destroyed, it can only change its form.Thus chow mein

What we need is some good old flintstones cars

I know energy can't be created or destroyed which is my point. If we efficiently use any other energy besides oil, then why do we try and then waste money.

However I'm completely for researching more efficient means especially solar.
you're half right. Electricity is for the most part produced from coal so using electricity is wasting more energy than gas. The way around this is to use nuclear power for electricity or wind, solar, etc. In the case of hybrids they generate their own electricity by the wheels turning and special brakes. You don't actually hook the car up to an outlet like electric vehicles. This allows the car to run on electricity when going downhill or for cruises down the road, and to switch to gasoline when it needs that extra power to get up hills thus making it more energy efficient.
Deacon of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join
speed demon of the UG Jeepers
Member of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM Hamish5178 to join~
Quote by Cianyx
A vaccum cleaner up it's ass?
We want the gas, not the poo.
Quote by Timothym

Or am I a dumbass?

With hybrid designs the idea is that it takes less gas to charge the cars battery than it does to constantly run a combustion engine, the big difference is that in a hybrid, the gas engine isn't always running, that's why they have low emissions and some of them get up to 70mpg.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Timothym

Don't question the system.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
The real environmental impact of these cars isn't going to be seen until we start scrapping them. What to do with all those used up fuel cells?
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
What would ZeG do?

*breaks out into tears*

with sticks.

Quote by SteveHouse

My mind? Blown.
To put into perspective what many people have already discussed here, yes it takes unclean energy to power a hybrid. Not to say that all energy produced is from fossil fuels, but the majority is produced by burning fossil fuels.

Hybrid cars are a good idea in theory, but in fact they have a bigger carbon footprint than a Hummer H2. Though you may think that having a hybrid makes you a more "green" person, theres really nothing that has been done to solve the big factor of the batteries. These are the biggest problem of the hybrids. Even though manufacturers state that the batteries are supposed to last 7-10 years, a constant charging on a battery is guaranteed to lessen the life of the battery. Since the gasoline engine runs when the car needs more power or the batteries have run down, the batteries are being charged almost constantly to keep up with the power demands, leading to a battery that has run its course in 4-5 years or less instead of 7-10, like the manufacturer says.

This is why a fully electric car is not very practical. All of the "environmental benefits" of having an all electric car are equaled by the fact that these still haven't solved the problem of helping to reduce emissions. In fact, if there were a dramatic increase in fully electric cars, there would be no observable effect of switching, since all these emissions will either come from a power plant or your tailpipe. Not to mention once all of the batteries in these cars can no longer hold a charge, then you have a big pile up of used worthless batteries that no matter how anybody prepares, will not have the resources to deal all of the recycling that will need to be done.
the electricity used to power the electrical motors is generated by the wheels turning when the vehicle slows down, no?
Love is my religion
Quote by Timothym
Yes. I'm pretty sure they aren't in widespread use.

Wrong.
They ARE in widespread use [in some countries more then others], but not for the majority of power.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by Simsimius
Wrong.
They ARE in widespread use [in some countries more then others], but not for the majority of power.

That's what I meant.
Quote by Timothym
That's what I meant.

Oh.
It wasn't very clear.

Sorry
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Most electricity comes from coal, which is a much more efficient source than gas, and doesn't need refining (for all I know)
Plus wind and water are actually widespread,
All of Las Vegas gets it's power from one dam (of course, it's a big dam)
Doesn't the electricity used in Hybrid cars get generated in the brake system?
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Today the US gets only around 20% of its power from nuclear power. France is around 77%.

Nuclear power is 10 million times as efficient as coal. It could be argued that the energy you get from burning a lump of coal is actually less than the energy you'd get from the extracted miniscule amounts of nuclear fuel based impurities within the same lump of coal.

So a transition to a larger nuclear power source would in turn reduce the carbon footprint of hybrid and electric vehicles.
Quote by element4433

Yep, many use regenerative braking to charge the batteries, but we might see that change.
true.... but a little coal is a much better clean up than nuclear fission

sure, you get plenty of chlorofluorocarbons but you don't get barrels of radioactive waste
Quote by greyeyedfire
true.... but a little coal is a much better clean up than nuclear fission

sure, you get plenty of chlorofluorocarbons but you don't get barrels of radioactive waste

Unless you're using "clean" coal it also puts a lot of sulfur in the air.
Quote by Howard2k
Yep, many use regenerative braking to charge the batteries, but we might see that change.
Exactly, so where the electricity we use in our homes doesn't matter, because you don't plug in a hybrid.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by element4433

But... the energy still has to come from somewhere. In this case it wouldn't be the kinetic energy of the car? Which came from gasoline? I mean, getting energy from the brakes is a good idea, but does it reduce the net carbon footprint of the whole process?
No, the emissions would be much less because using the electric engine would've give off carbon monoxide.

Your point is valid though, since you would have to use electricity that was probably made by burning coal.
Quote by Timothym
But... the energy still has to come from somewhere. In this case it wouldn't be the kinetic energy of the car? Which came from gasoline? I mean, getting energy from the brakes is a good idea, but does it reduce the net carbon footprint of the whole process?
If a car is using less gasoline, then it will have less of an impact.

Obviously Hybrids aren't the answer to the problem, but they're better than what we have now.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano

ya, getting energy from the brakes only "recycles" energy that would otherwise be wasted

point is, they are "greener" than normal cars, but on the grand scale of things, it won't make a difference
Quote by Jackal58
The real environmental impact of these cars isn't going to be seen until we start scrapping them. What to do with all those used up fuel cells?

Leave them on the ground for the next video game hero to recharge his weapon.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Quote by element4433
Exactly, so where the electricity we use in our homes doesn't matter, because you don't plug in a hybrid.

Prius does not need to be plugged in, although some people have already modified their cars to do that.

The Chevy Volt will be plug-in I believe.
Quote by element4433
If a car is using less gasoline, then it will have less of an impact.

Obviously Hybrids aren't the answer to the problem, but they're better than what we have now.

Yep.
And to contribute, a hybrid's gasoline motor doesn't normally kick-in until ~30mph, after the gasoline engine is warmed up, of course.
So, you could save tons of gas by driving under 30 EVERYWHERE, even though that's hardly practical.
Quote by Mauri_wario
I would indeed "fap that thaing", but my dog is looking at me and it feels highly iinappropriate.
Quote by tbsff_7
good luck with that! if the world have a nuclear war 3 things would survive; cockroaches, twinkies, and boss pedals
Page 1 of 2