i dont know if this is the right place, but im working on an alternative song and i can get the drums and the bass and everything just fine, but how do i find a good vocal Melodie that goes with the song? thanks
I would close this so that you can ask in the vocal thread, but this has more to do with melodies instead of voice.

So we all know that vocal melodies aren't the same as lets say, a guitar melody (à la Satriani, Steve Vai, or any other mainly instrumental guitarist). You definitely can't write a melody that is played at 16th notes at 208 bpm. Find me a regular singer that can sing that! Nor can you write a melody that starts at one E, then all the sudden it bursts up into another E two octaves ups.

Rhythmically, you have to keep things simple, because an average singer can only sing so fast, and so much. So don't be afraid to "dumb it down" rhythmically compared to a guitar melody. It has to be singable. Chances are, if you can't hum/sing it yourself, then the singer will have a tough time doing so as well.

In terms of note selection, its a good idea to start off with a selection of notes, with the highest note being a 5th (this varies depending on the skill level of the singer) away from the lowest note (i.e. A - E). This allows for some jumps that aren't too difficult, as well as the more step like motion (easier to sing). Then of course, if you want, you can gradually morph the notes in to a higher or lower selection of pitches. Or if the singer a small break in between parts, you can change up the note selection.

Obviously, these aren't rules that must be followed. These are only some tips that I've been told in the past, or that I've discovered through experience to make things more 'visible' when it comes to writing a melody for vocals. If you have a better singer that isn't limited all that much, then use that skill to the best of ability. Good luck!
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
Quote by bluesrocker101

So we all know that vocal melodies aren't the same as lets say, a guitar melody (à la Satriani, Steve Vai, or any other mainly instrumental guitarist). You definitely can't write a melody that is played at 16th notes at 208 bpm. Find me a regular singer that can sing that! Nor can you write a melody that starts at one E, then all the sudden it bursts up into another E two octaves ups.

Rhythmically, you have to keep things simple, because an average singer can only sing so fast, and so much. So don't be afraid to "dumb it down" rhythmically compared to a guitar melody. It has to be singable. Chances are, if you can't hum/sing it yourself, then the singer will have a tough time doing so as well.

I think you are underestimating singers. We aren't retarded! I've sang alot of music that is more difficult to count then most of the guitar I have come across. The only thing you have to worry about when writing for one set of vocals is how far you are stepping and what range you are writing for. You can write fast vocals, I have to sing fast arpeggios all the time. Not quite 220 bpm, but you don't have to be slow about it.
I'm a singer as well, so I know full well that we aren't retarded.

That being said, I was trying to put things into perspective for the TS. I'm just assuming he/she is a teenager or young adult, and maybe doesn't have access to many of the wonderful singers out there. Of course there are skillful singers that can sing at wonderful speeds. But you'd never be able to fully translate Yngwie Malmsteen's "Arpeggios From Hell" into a vocal piece, if you know what I mean.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
It has to be just as singable for non-singers as for singers. Most catchy melodies are very singable.

Read my blogs. At the moment, they're just for general melodies, not really singing specific, but soon (holidays in two weeks) I'll write some blogs specifically for writing singing melodies. I've got about 2 pages of highly condensed notes.

My general process for writting a singing melody is this; I'll hum something, transcribe it then change a few notes. Think of it like an essay, you wouldn't submit your plan or your draft, instead you'll reread it and edit it.
        |\
[U]        | |                     [/U]
[U]        |/     .-.              [/U]
[U]       /|_     `-’       |      [/U]
[U]      //| \      |       |      [/U]
[U]     | \|_ |     |     .-|      [/U]
      *-|-*    (_)     `-’
        |
        L.