So I've been thinking about dropping the tunning on one of my guitars a whole step just to give it a go. I don't want to have to get my guitar set-up for the lower tunning and I don't want to my string to feel like rubber bands.

My idea is to up my string guage before I down tune so the differences in tension will balance out. So the question is if I play with .10's now should I up to .11's or .12's to tune down a whole step?

I know that getting my guitar set up for the new tunning would be the best, but I'm probably not gonna keep it in that tunning for more than the life of one set of strings. Both my guitars have trem systems, so the string tension is important.

So what do you guys think, .11's or .12's better to down tune to D?
Gear:
Fender Deluxe American Strat HSS
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Fender Acoustic

Marshall DSL100 Head
Marshall 1960B Cab
Blackstar HT-5 Combo
Vox AC4TV Combo
I wouldn't worry about changing string gauge as much since you're only going down 1 step. You will need to re-setup the trem system if its a floyd.
Last edited by eyebanez333 at Mar 27, 2009,
11's

change the setup on the trem.
ESP Vintage 4
Fender American Special Jazz
Fender American Deluxe Precision
Ibanez SR700
Jackson DXMG
SWR Black Beauty
Orange Thunderverb 50

Modulus Quantum 5 fund-$2150/$3369
i think the slinkiness you get from tuning down is part of it's appeal....it's not just about being able to to hit a couple notes lower than usual. tuning down really does affect your overall playing style.

still, even if you do keep the same string gauge, i would adjust the trem a bit...are you using a tremsetter?
Alright, thanks for all the advice. When I do try down tunning I think I'll use .11's and probably do it on my Strat. I don't use a tremsetter on either of my guitars, but I think I might be able to get away with the tension change a little better on the Strat trem than my Schecter's Floyd. And even if I do have to do some adjustment the Strat would be much easier.

Thanks again for the advice.
Gear:
Fender Deluxe American Strat HSS
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Fender Acoustic

Marshall DSL100 Head
Marshall 1960B Cab
Blackstar HT-5 Combo
Vox AC4TV Combo
11-52
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
You wouldn't need 11s or 12s to tune down. I use Ernie Ball 10-46 on all my guitars and I play in d standard and drop C. I haven't had any problems.
drop c with regular 10's is too sloppy for my liking
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.