Going to get either a Vox VT15 or VT30 and since both have the wattage controller on the back, really the only difference is the watts. I stink right now, but play for fun and really only have time to do so when the family is asleep at night so i keep it very quiet. 15 watts is more than what I need by a lot since I won't be playing with others. I know people have said that the 10 inch speaker in the 30 gives a fuller sound (based on past searches), but will a 'bedroom' guitar player notice this difference versus the 8 inch speaker of the VT15? Assuming I can pay the extra $70 for the 30 over the 15, is it a good investment if I won't use the extra volume....probably ever?

Thanks!
Last edited by Eddie NYC at Apr 3, 2009,
You'll notice the difference. I'm not a big fan of the valvetronix, but I do like the 30 over the 15 and I like the 50 better still.

Edit: if you have the ability to try these amps I suggest you plug into a Vox DA 20 and compare it to the valvetronix. Depends on what you like to play but i think the tone of the DA is much better. Especially at low volumes. You can also reduce the wattage on the DA and I prefer 2x8's over 1x10. I think i paid $250 for it a few years ago.

edit2: still available same price.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Vox-DA20-Guitar-Combo-Amp-483002-i1320540.gc?source=4WWRWXGB
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Last edited by scott58 at Mar 27, 2009,
with speaker size you really dont notice much of a difference at low volumes. most of the variables in guitar amps that give an amp its own distinct tone dont come out very much untill you get the volume up to around 1/3 or 1/2 of the way up. you are right that smaller is better untill youre playing with a drummer. if you have no need to play out you could even just get a floor multi FX and some headphones with a long cord to practice. for the price of a decent entery level amp you could have something with a dozen or more amp models and all the FX youve ever heard of and many you havent. you just cant play with other musicians or play for an audience. i have an amp for playing with/for others but when im practicing i almost ALWAYS just plug my headphones into my korg ax3000g and do it that way. its very nice to be able to go from vox ac15 to mesa halfstack with the twist of a knob and never have to worry about annoying others by making them listen to you play scales through all the keys repetitively for hours on end.
Quote by Eddie NYC
Going to get either a Vox VT15 or VT30 and since both have the wattage controller on the back, really the only difference is the watts. I stink right now, but play for fun and really only have time to do so when the family is asleep at night so i keep it very quiet. 15 watts is more than what I need by a lot since I won't be playing with others. I know people have said that the 10 inch speaker in the 30 gives a fuller sound (based on past searches), but will a 'bedroom' guitar player notice this difference versus the 8 inch speaker of the VT15? Assuming I can pay the extra $70 for the 30 over the 15, is it a good investment if I won't use the extra volume....probably ever?

Thanks!

theres no such thing as a "quiet" night time play lol. Anyways,
Yeah, you would notice a difference between the 8 and the 10'' on high volumes. but for quiet times, there should not be a significant difference
Thanks everyone. Buying either the VT15 or VT30 today. Still on the fence. When I called Vox to see what they said, they said the 30 would have a fuller low-end sound, even at lower volumes. If this is going to be my only amp for a while....just for home play by myself, which way would you folks lean toward if I can afford either....but obviously don't want to toss money out the door. Certainly don't want to pay for something that will sound worse at low volumes if that's the case. Also, what do they typically sell more of the 30 or 15, I know with the AD15VT it was the 30 b/c of the wattage selector on the back?

Sorry to keep this going, but I really value all of the thoughts here.