So I'm about to get new strings on my S5470 (they were already rather worn when I got it) and I think I'll use a 10 set instead of 9.
So, Ernie Ball Regular Slinky (10) or D'Addario EXL110 Regular Light (10).

I play a lot of rock and metal, so getting a nice distorted tone would be great, but I would also love to have a clear and bright clean tone. Which one of these would be better? I play with standard tuning, no drop tuned or anything. Feel free to recommend other brands too if you can think of something better for me.

Thank you.
Guitars:
Ibanez S5470 w/ DiMarzio Crunch Lab & Liquifire
Ibanez RG1527
Ibanez SA160
Ibanez E-Acoustic
Selfmade Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Twang King & Chopper T

"Maybe one day we'll wake up and this will all just be a dream"
no question
ernie ball 10's ftw
GEAR
-Gibson Explorer - EMG 85/81 - white
-Fender Super Champ XD 15w
-Boss DS-1
-Boss OC-3 Octave
-Digitech Phaser
-Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus - sunburst
-Yamaha Cutaway Elec-Acoustic
-Line 6 Spider III 15w
Personally I prefer DR. A lot nicer feel than Ernies, and they tune up slacker...ie they need less tension for the same notes, so you get a bit more room for bends and artificial harmonics.

EDIT: they also seem to last longer for me, and are actually cheaper than Super Slinkys where I live. Might be hard to get a hold of though, kinda a smaller brand name

Just my 2 cents
Last edited by sgwielder at Mar 27, 2009,
I used to use D'addario, but I got a free pack of ernies once, and I never went back. I also play a lot of metal.
Gig Rig:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1
Crate BV120H
B-52 LS 4x12 cabinet
BBE Rackmount Sonic Max
Boss ME-50 Pedalboard
Digital Reference 2505 Wireless

I don't like BTBAM. Sue Me.

PLUR

My Solo Project
Ernie Balls, 9s or 10s both work great.
70's Japan Greco SuperPower
Amps: '65 TRRI - Peavey Classic 50 4x10 - Epiphone VJ Head (Modded) - 2x12 Celestion Greenback Cab
FX: BK Tube Driver - EH Small Stone - MXR CC
Acoustics: Breedlove ADSM20 - Alveraz 5021 12-String
Quote by sgwielder
Personally I prefer DR. A lot nicer feel than Ernies, and they tune up slacker...ie they need less tension for the same notes, so you get a bit more room for bends and artificial harmonics.

Just my 2 cents

yeah dr's are the best!
but i got a pack of dunlops to try,but havent opened yet
ernie balls feel stretchier when bending but the diardios feel a little more crisp for strumming. the tone should be about the same for both as long as theyre both nickel coated wrap. if you want to experiment you could try pure nickel wrap for a more mellow vintage sound or try stainless steel wrap for a brighter more modern sound. the stainless strings will very slightly accelerate fret wear though. and if you change guages you will probably need it re-setup for optimal action and especially the tremolo. and those wizard necks are very thin so a small truss rod adjustment might even be necessary in the long run.
I got barbed wire laced with vinegar and salt, I suggest you use this or D'addario
Quote by Wrst_Plyr_Evr
I beat my wife

Beating yea bi
I use my ex girfriend's twisted entrails, and Ernie Ball.

In D'Addario's defense, I use them (and severed penises) on my bass.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
i like both brands, but d'addario dont rust up as quick for me so they get my vote
Gear

Ibanez RG1451 (Bareknuckle Aftermath bridge, Cold Sweat neck)
Jackson DK2T(Bareknuckle Miracle Man bridge,SD Jazz neck)
Ibanez RG321mh(SD JB bridge)
Epiphone SG-400,
Ibanez RG370DX,
Vintage V6

Pod X3 into KRK RP8 G2's
used to use Ernie Ball's, they suck
D'Addario strings lasta longer, stay in tune better and are packaged green friendly (if that matters to ya?
R.I.P. Randy Rhoads
E.B.

I have recently become addicted to their products.
My Last.fm
USA Fender Stratocaster | Roland Cube 60 | VOX ToneLab LE
Get the D'addario 10's
I have em on my Les Paul and they give some kick ass tone
Vintage ICON Peter Green Replica Les Paul
Epiphone LP Standard
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401 (New Valves )
Boss TU-2 & SD-1
EHX #1 Echo
I use D'Addario .10-.52 strings.

I really like them: they sound really nice and are versatile.
"Notes are expensive, spend them wisely." - B.B. King
I usually use super slinkies, but the store i go to was out, and I got some dean markleys in 9 42, and i've got no complaints.
Quote by Mister.Y
Well, The Lion Sleeps Tonight is still a bit popular... I mean, cmon...

awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe awimbawe...

"I'll See You In The Next World, and Don't Be Late"
Quote by sgwielder

EDIT: they also seem to last longer for me, and are actually cheaper than Super Slinkys where I live. Might be hard to get a hold of though, kinda a smaller brand name

Just my 2 cents

i agree 100%. They are way better feeling and keep their tone real long, even when theyre corroded. EB i think sounds better, but it lasts for like a week. From there, it's all down until it rusts and dies. I odnt like daddarios. They feel ok, but they just sound wierd. like hard to explain wierd.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Ernie Balls definantly. I have Them on my V and my PRS and they are awesome for metalcore.
D'Addario

I used to use Ernie Balls, but I switched a few months back or so to D'Addario EXL110s and love them. Actually I just finished putting a new set on my Fender

EBs are good strings though too, ultimately it's your choice, but I vote D'Addario.
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
used eb's for a long time i absolutely hate them. def. dr. or im a ghs fan work great for me
d'addario all the way. i have them on my electrics and acoustics. i do like EB, but prefer d'addario
Schecter C-1 Classic in Seethru blue <333
Schecter Damien FR
Roland AC-60 acoustic amp
Boss GE-7 EQ
Line6 Ubermetal Distortion
Sigma Dx Acoustic