Hi UG,

Just got my first guitar with a floyd rose and I want to change the tuning to drop D. I tried earlier and found that it created alot of fret buzz. Should I adjust the spring tension or do I need to change the string guage?

I don't know the current string guage as it is what was put on when I bought it. I'm guessing they're .009's but I didn't think it would affect the fret buzz that much.
no, on the bridge there are 2 little spots for ur allen wrench, they raise and lower the bridge for different tunings or different size strings. but going into drop d shouldnt mess up the action on the neck like you said. just use the fine tuners on the end on the bridge to drop D
SDooper Man

Guitars
-Jackson DK2M
-Pignose
-Washburn accoustic

Amps
-Fender Frontman 25w DSP
-Roland Micro-Cube

Effects
-Digitech:Hot Head
-Digitech:Black 13
-Vinci: wah
dont worry about the spring tension, and it for sure, is not because of some 9 gauge
SDooper Man

Guitars
-Jackson DK2M
-Pignose
-Washburn accoustic

Amps
-Fender Frontman 25w DSP
-Roland Micro-Cube

Effects
-Digitech:Hot Head
-Digitech:Black 13
-Vinci: wah
you should only change the spring tension if the floyd rose base plate doesnt lie parrallel to the body. As in, so that the bridge bit is lying flat.

like the guy above said, if you are gettin fret buzz, use the little spots for the allen key a lil bit, but if you would rather be safe than sorry (as in not mess around with the allen bolts) then buy a single string which is heavier guage. If you got 9s on it, then a 48 for the bottom string will be fine to counteract the tension loss. That way, you wont need to raise the action on all of the strings to get rid of the fret buzz (which is what turning the little allen slots does).

Thats the problem with floyd roses, you cant adjust action on individual strings >.<
Quote by Sdooper_Man
just use the fine tuners on the end on the bridge to drop D

Noooo, Dont do that.

Loosen locking nut, tune the guitar to drop D, tighten the nut Adjust the spring tension until the bridges sits parallel to the body, Fine tune with the fine tuners, Then whammy a little bit to see if the bridge stays parallel to the body. If it stays in tune, your good.

Quote by Sdooper_Man
dont worry about the spring tension, and it for sure, is not because of some 9 gauge

Yes, worry about spring tension, Going from standard to drop D will lower tension on the bridge which will cause the bridge to "float" backwards. You need to tighten the springs to compensate for the loss of tension from the lowered string.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Last edited by biga29 at Mar 27, 2009,
Quote by biga29

Noooo, Dont do that.

Loosen locking nut, tune the guitar to drop D, tighten the nut Adjust the spring tension until the bridges sits parallel to the body, Fine tune with the fine tuners, Then whammy a little bit to see if the bridge stays parallel to the body. If it stays in tune, your good.

This.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"