I am looking into a new Overdrive pedal. My amp is a Bogner Duende, which, while excellent, doesn't have t3h b00stz to make it to metal.

I've been using a VisualSound Jeckyll & Hyde for quite a bit, but it is a bit too noisy for my tastes. I've looked into the situation and came up with a couple of solutions:

-Fulltone OCD

-Ibanez TS808/TS9

-Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor (used, of course)

-ProTone Jason Becker Distortion pedal. It could be used as a boost and I am a sucker for anything JB related.

The main focus would be to tighten the the amp's gain (a bit too loose and fuzzy for me).
Maxon OD-808
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Metal Muff

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
ZW-44 Wylde Od.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
i love this

random people coming here firing off suggestions - tbh, you'd be better off just going around some places and trying out ****. I couldn't say if a certain OD would tighten up your Bogner or give it a loose OD, so you really gotta try.
What I do know is that PaulC built the Timmy to sound like your amp, just cranked some more, so that might be a possible OD for you - the wait's enormous though!

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by MatrixClaw
Maxon OD-808

This is widely thought of as one of the best production ODs.

The OCD is supposed to be really nice as well but I haven't tried one so I can't help you there.

I think you should really try as many out as possible to get a feel for them. Don't leave out the boutique, there are some really amazing pedals to try(Silver kiss, singing tree, brown rabbit, ect ect)

I have a ts-9 for sale for pretty cheap too(shameless plug)
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪
I think you need distortion, not OD. If you just want to tighten and add gain, then get a good boost and compression setup.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
I think you need distortion, not OD. If you just want to tighten and add gain, then get a good boost and compression setup.

Hm... more distortion? I have a Metal Muff, tried it through the Duende and thought it became an MG again (maybe it's the settings on the Metal muff? I don't know). But what would you recommend as a "good boost and compression setup"? I haven't really delved into anything more complicated that pedals (as far as connecting gear to an amp), so keep that in mind.
Quote by al112987
Paul Cochrane Timmy

I've read about the Tim/Timmy. It seems to be more of a country/classic rock-ish OD with light/medium gain. Plus it takes around 10 months to make.
The metal muff sucks. That's why you got shitty tone from it. You need something high-quality. Like the SD Twin Tube Mayhem. Or Digitech Hardwire Metal. Or Damage Control Demonizer. Or Tech 21 Sansamp GT2.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
The metal muff sucks. That's why you got shitty tone from it. You need something high-quality. Like the SD Twin Tube Mayhem. Or Digitech Hardwire Metal. Or Damage Control Demonizer. Or Tech 21 Sansamp GT2.

Well said, sir.

So, what you are saying is that a distortion pedal would help to tighten up the low end of the amp while giving it a tighter distortion?
A distortion pedal would replace the amp's distortion. you run it on the clean channel. what i'm saying is that the Duende isn't a metal amp, and if that's all you play, it doesn't make much sense to own it.

Don't judge me.
ts9 is not much differeant then the visual sound 808 so if you didnt liek that then...ocd i guess or maybe a klon centaur
dont get a zw-44, those are noisier then what you have
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
Quote by theoreticmusic
A distortion pedal would replace the amp's distortion. you run it on the clean channel. what i'm saying is that the Duende isn't a metal amp, and if that's all you play, it doesn't make much sense to own it.

Metal is not all I play. The Duende can push out some great lead tones (reminiscent of Yngwie or Steve Vai, with my current OD).

I was looking into the Catalinbread Silver Kiss or the SCOD. Any opinions on those?
Quote by BeethovensBust
I've read about the Tim/Timmy. It seems to be more of a country/classic rock-ish OD with light/medium gain. Plus it takes around 10 months to make.

I wouldn't say that it's a classic rock-ish OD. It's a super transparent OD, and a lot of classic rock/country/blues etc. players like it because it really lets the tone of their guitars and amps shine through when the pedal is activated.

But yeah, theres a 6 month waiting list, but it's only $130, which is super reasonable considering it's caliber.
I know the conversation had proceeded a great deal before I got in here, but I have to reccommend the Fulltone OCD.

Awesome pedal; transparent, yes, so a bad amp will still sound bad (or a good amp in a genre it's not designed for), but as far as overdrives go it's definitely my favorite.

Haven't used a Timmy (yet) though.
Tobacco Sunburst Fender Strat
(Lollar Dirty Blonde pickups)
Fulltone FatBoost
MI Audio BoostnBuff
Fulltone OCD
This1smyne "Pearl"
Wilson 10Spot II
Red Witch Phaser
Fulltone ChoralFlange
BOSS DD-7+DD-20
Tech21 RVB
'59 Bassman Reissue
I don't find the OCD particularly transparent, but it sounds good if you want to go for that overdriven Vox kind of sound with a ton more gain on tap.
Right now I am leaning towards the "higher gain" effects of the OCD or the SCOD. As one website puts it, the Catalinbread SCOD will "eat your mom for breakfast!".

And I was finally able to crank the Duende today. While it is certainly not a brutal amp, it can do Metallica/Megadeth stuff very well.