Do tube amps sound best at high volumes? I mean, do they really sound 'not so good' at low volumes?
I'm asking because my DSL100 sounds as if there's too much high-end, and a little fizzy. I am yet to get it past volume:2, ha

My settings are
Presence: 2
Treble: 4
Mid:6-7
Bass:5
ToneShift: I've tried both on and off.
Deep: off
Channel: Ultra gain (or 2)
Mode: lead 1
Gain: 6.5

I'm not using any pedals at the moment. But when I use my gt8 in the effects loop, the volume is lower than usual (even in the tuner/bypass mode), and even more high-end and fizzy.

Anyone know how to solve my problem?
Last edited by page.slash at Mar 27, 2009,
Marshalls are just naturally bright, especially at low volumes where a lot of them have a tendency to get a little bit ice picky. If you want to mellow out some of that grind you might want to roll off the tone a bit on your guitar.
Last edited by al112987 at Mar 27, 2009,
^yes, and also, cranking it will certainly help, just like it does with high gain amps like 5150's, that always sound a bit fizzy at low volumes cause of the intense gain, but the power tubes seem to smoothen out the tone
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
So, at home it'll be fuzzy, but once I get out on a show and crank it, it should be fine? 'Cause I can deal with the "ice picky" if it isn't a show.
Also, should all my effects go through the fx loop? Like the gt8, or future EQs and noise supressors? Because some amps don't have fx loops (like Kerry King's sig JCM800), so how would those users do it?
Thanks, both of you.
yeah those amps are like that, i have a simillar problem with my Carvin mts master tube series 3200. mine starts sounding good over 2 on the volume
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
At least that's alright. Thanks guys.
Does anyone have an answer to my fx loop question, though? Just curious.
try in front of amp and in effects loop, see what sounds best to you
there is no right or wrong way to do anyhintg but i usually put a eq , noisegate and delay in my effects loop, the rest goes in front
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.