Page 1 of 2
this was just coming across my mind but why do some people prefer bolt ons? i hate having that huge chunk when im playing solos.. dont give me stuff about neck thickness finish all that stuff just the bolt on and why people like it
not all of them have a huge chunk.

they're generally cheaper, can be easily replaced if broken and give just as good sustain as any other neck type.

not everyone plays up there either, so it's not an issue for all people.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Last edited by Lemoninfluence at Mar 27, 2009,
I'm not sure that I've ever heard of anyone actually "preferring" a bolt-on when they could go for a set neck, or neck through. The only advantages i can think of are price, They'll be cheaper. And you could change the neck if you wanted to ...

But just because a guitar has a bolt-on doesn't mean it's cheap. My Ibanez S5470 has a bolt on and its one of the best guitars I've ever played.

But I also don't know anything, so I'm probably wrong...

Quote by Lemoninfluence
not all of them have a huge chunk.

they're generally cheaper, can be easily replaced if broken and give just as good sustain as any other neck type.

not everyone plays up there either, so it's not an issue for all people.

Whoah... thats kinda what i said.... and i was just guessing....cool.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
If it's a good joint, there won't be a huge chunk there. I do like unfinished necks though, and neck-throughs have different geometry than bolt ons. You can also replace them easily. Neck-throughs also have a different tone since they're mainly maple, whereas a bolt-on neck is usually maple with a different body wood.
It would cost you more to repair a set-in neck or a neckthrough neck, mean while with a bolt-on you just have to buy a new neck and screw it on.
Quote by ethan_hanus
I personaly love neck through because of the sustain, but bolt on necks allow me to smash dumbasses in the head with my squire and not have a useless guitar afterwards. Just have to go get a new neck, or peferbaly a new guitar.

neck joint type makes a negligible difference in sustain.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
I'm not sure that I've ever heard of anyone actually "preferring" a bolt-on when they could go for a set neck, or neck through.
I prefer bolt-on necks. I've played plenty of neck through and set necks but nothing feels as good as a good bolt on. Price has nothing to do with it either. I play an American Deluxe Strat and a Prestige RG. The strat does have that chunk and that can get annoying but it's better than a Les Paul. I can easily get to the 24th fret of my Ibanez without any problems whatsoever.
Quote by JELIFISH19
I prefer bolt-on necks. I've played plenty of neck through and set necks but nothing feels as good as a good bolt on. Price has nothing to do with it either. I play an American Deluxe Strat and a Prestige RG. The strat does have that chunk and that can get annoying but it's better than a Les Paul. I can easily get to the 24th fret of my Ibanez without any problems whatsoever.

Yeh, thats what i was saying, my Ibanez has a bolt on and i love it. But also, I dont think I'vr ever seen a strat that doesn't have a bolt on. Are there?
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Quote by Lemoninfluence

Not to argue with a mod, but that's not true. Neck-through designs resonate the whole body more, and do produce more sustain than a set neck or a bolt-on. However, there is negligible difference in sustain between a bolt-on and a set neck, I'll give you that.
Gear:
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12
Custom Built Guitar (made it myself)
PRS SE Soapbar II Maple
Fender Stratacoustic (Stolen! )
Digitech RP200
Boss MT-2
Roland Microcube
I like my stuff!
Quote by Lemoninfluence

Why are you posting, then editing it to black? and why are you typing the code instead of going to clicking on the color box thingy??

Quote by muse-ik
Not to argue with a mod, but that's not true. Neck-through designs resonate the whole body more, and do produce more sustain than a set neck or a bolt-on. However, there is negligible difference in sustain between a bolt-on and a set neck, I'll give you that.

He's just a CC jk.jk.jk
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
there's been a recent study that found that a bolt on neck joint gives more sustain than set neck or through neck styke necks. but the difference wasn't audible by human ears.Why are you posting, then editing it to black? and why are you typing the code instead of going to clicking on the color box thingy??

He's just a CC jk.jk.jk

it works out the same way. when i quote you the code is there.

and I can't stand it when people use weird text colours. so I'm using black on mine.

Quote by element4433
Last edited by Lemoninfluence at Mar 27, 2009,
Quote by Lemoninfluence

word.

On Topic: Why do some people prefer Gouda cheese? Because they do - there's no sense in questioning, really.
When it comes to preference, it's all preference

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Well, the thing is that if the bolt-on is ****ty, the guitar will suck. But if it is good, then I might prefer it to others as the neck can be replaced much easier.
Quote by raoulsanchez
the bolt on and why people like it

It may have to do with scale, just “overall feel” or that they like the body that the neck is bolted on to. But who cares?

Play what you like...stop worrying about others.
Some people prefer a guitar the HAS a bolt on neck but don't prefer the bolt on neck its self
I don't like the tone of playing on the higher frets, so the feel of the join is irrelevant to me. I'd buy anything, but the lower price of guitars with bolt on necks means I probably 'prefer' them.
Quote by Lemoninfluence

and I can't stand it when people use weird text colours. so I'm using black on mine.

You obviously dont use UG black because that is rediculusly hard to read.
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Quote by biga29
Why are you posting, then editing it to black? and why are you typing the code instead of going to clicking on the color box thingy??
because your posts are too hard to read, that color's too bright.
Quote by elmo33
because your posts are too hard to read, that color's too bright.

You need to be introduced to UG black...
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
1. I actually prefer the joint feel; Neck-through has just always feel unnatural to me, like the entire guitar is one slab of wood, which, while it would be interesting, is not what I like.
2. More sustain.
3. Cheaper.
4. Easier to fix.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
i prefer bolt ons
i dunno just liked the feel more, and plus the whole sustain thing isnt true, steve vai, joe satch, and mr. paul gilbert all use bolt ons and are gods at sustain, plsu they save you alot of money when you buy it and down the road.
think of it as

*smashes bolt on neck by mistake* = 100-300 bucks for a new neck
*smashes set/neck through neck by mistake* = you have to buy the WHOLE new guitar again. so anywhere from 700 into the thousands since mostly only higher end and more expensive guitars make neck throughs.
ಠ_ಠ
- Yes, My name is actually Terran -
- Not just a Starcraft fan -

Terran > Zerg and Protoss
Quote by hendriko
word.

On Topic: Why do some people prefer Gouda cheese? Because they do - there's no sense in questioning, really.
When it comes to preference, it's all preference

Yeah, I prefer to prefer ....

TS look up Ibanez AANJ.
i prefer neck through just because they feel better. none of this sustain nonsense. I think its about the same.

I am curious how many of you have broken a guitar's neck. I don't really see that as a con of neck through guitars

just play what you like!
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
To clear up the sustain issue:
It is easier to explain how neck-through joints effect sustain than how bolt-ons effect sustain, so let's run with that. Once you understand how a neck-through effects sustain, it's easy to then see why a setneck or a good bolt-on join can give better sustain.

When you have a neck-through guitar, you're always going to have a three-piece body. The center piece/neck, then the two 'wing' pieces glued to either side of that center block. This is not good for sustain (it also dulls the tone and responsiveness of the guitar). So that's your first problem. A bolt-on or setneck guitar can have a two- or one-piece body which will always supply much more sustain and responsiveness than a neck-through guitar which has at best a three-piece body.
More often than not, even in the better higher-end neck-through guitars, the only thing attaching the body wings to the center neck block is glue, and glue simply dampens everything about a guitar's resonance. Now yes, a setneck guitar also has glue attaching the neck to the body, but nowhere near as much. More of the body is able to remain cleanly intact than on a neck-through.

So now you can probably see why bolt-on guitars can have much better sustain than a neck-through. A bolt-on can be made without tone-sucking glue, it can be made with a one-piece body, and more resonance can pass through a clean bolt-on join since you've got direct wood-to-wood contact.

So given all this, why does anyone ever think neck-through guitars have good sustain?

One word: maple.

Most neck-through guitars are made with solid rock maple/hard maple necks. That maple also extends through the body. Maple is heavier than and sustains better than any other common tonewood used in guitar manufacture. It's naturally very bright tone (the brightest of all tonewoods) also helps counter the dampening effect of all that glue and the crappy three-piece body.
Mahogany will also see some use too in neck-throughs of course, but rarely. It results in a different tone, but a similar effect is achieved though; you end up with one big slab of a good-sustaining tonewood running the full length of the guitar. Maple is by far a more popular choice though.

And for the record, a one-piece maple-bodied guitar with a bolt-on all-maple neck sustains better than any other guitar you will ever touch.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by Lemoninfluence

Neck joint QUALITY makes a massive difference though
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Quote by Lemoninfluence
You know... your text is black by default The site changes it to white though if you use UG black.
Seriously though, it's like using a white crayon on white paper.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Bolt On necks just seem to feel a bit more study and secure, if you know what I mean.
Quote by biga29
You need to be introduced to UG black...

Some of us are older than 14 and are not interested in the hardcorez appeal of UG Black
My set neck LP has worse upper fret access than my bolt neck strat. And my bolt neck LP is easier to play higher up than my set neck LP. Fender has traditionally made bolt neck guitars and the bolt neck along with the scale give its tone, so if you want that tone then thats the way you go. Some prefer the set neck LP. There are alot of threads out there that say "dang my set neck fell over now the headstock is snapped off". If it glues back on cool if not its kindling. If its bolt neck its not really an issue. There are really expensive guitars with bolt necks that sell well so its not as if the design is flawed.
Quote by Roast Beef
Some of us are older than 14 and are not interested in the hardcorez appeal of UG Black

Its easier to read, for me anyway. White is way too bright.
I prefer bolt on necks for a number of reasons

1.Ease of repair
2.Feel and playability
3.The finish (I HATE GLOSSY NECKS)
4.The tone they give

It's all just personally preference.If bolt on necks were bad then they wouldn't be used on $2500+ instruments.The quality and tone of a bolt on is largely determined by the quality of the neck joint,so all the people who say things like "Neck through and set neck are higher quality" don't know what they're talking about.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

well. paul gilbert has an extra large chunk on his sig. He says that you get a better tone. Like theres much more tone if it's like that. Iono. i dont think it's worth having to try so hard to reach the upper frets. Just.. Neck throughs are the best to me. My LTD's bolt on is good because they kinda cut the heel for access.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by littlephil
Its easier to read, for me anyway. White is way too bright.

Er, it's actually a lovely pale grey. Have you driven a UG Classic recently?
Quote by Roast Beef

Good thing thats not the reason i'm using it then...
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Quote by Roast Beef
Er, it's actually a lovely pale grey. Have you driven a UG Classic recently?

No, because black is better IMO.
Tone. Feel. Replaceability.

Sustain is a quality issue, not joint type. A good bolt on will give more sustain then necessary.

I like the extra punch I seem to get from a bolt on. It could also be that it's largely due to wood types interracting in terms of resonance. Not many neck throughs or set necks have body wood as far up the neck as a bolt on.

And the heel isn't a problem. I can see how small hands may be at a bit of a stretch though.
Quote by littlephil
No, because black is better IMO.

+1.
Quote by alternitivebass
You obviously dont use UG black because that is rediculusly hard to read.

+1.

On-topic: Ibanez (and a couple of others, like Parker) fixed the problem you seem to have with bolt-ons (AANJ).
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
I don't care any more. I have both types and like them. If i like the guitar, set or bolt-on doesn't matter.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Page 1 of 2