Poll: Are Edge III Tremolos Good?
Poll Options
View poll results: Are Edge III Tremolos Good?
Piece Of Dog S###!
9 50%
There Ok But I would Get Something Else.
4 22%
It's Decent.
4 22%
I would Get Edge III.
1 6%
It's Great And Never Goes Out Of Tune!
0 0%
Voters: 18.
So for my birthday I am getting an Ibanez RG350DX and I was wondering if the edge III tremolo is any good because if it isn't I was thinking about buying a Floyd Rose Tremolo.

Which one would be better in other words.
Thx!
Last edited by Chrisby135 at Mar 27, 2009,
I own an Rg320ex and even with thorough setup i cannot get the trem to stay in tune. Ive tried lubricants, different strings, various troubleshooting suggestions and have not gotten it to work. Most people online agree, but some say their edge iii is great. I think they are either lying, lying to themselves, lucky, or just have bad ears that cannot tell it is out of tune. My best advice is that if you are getting a low end Ibanez get one with a solid bridge, and it will sound better than a trem when not being used.

EDIT: If you have to have that guitar though, the guitar will stay in tune if you dont use the trem or bend any (i have to bend). To get it to do even this, you have to set it up often.
I had to get a replacement after I broke my G string. What a pain in the ass!
Last edited by brush200400 at Mar 27, 2009,
Soz It's me again the guy who wrote this thing if you thing that the floyd rose is better could you give me a price plz too. And vote on my pole if you can.
Thx!
Quote by Chrisby135
Soz It's me again the guy who wrote this thing if you thing that the floyd rose is better could you give me a price plz too. And vote on my pole if you can.
Thx!

~$170, Warmoth sells a good one of their own brand, or you could go with a schaller. Original Floyd rose is a great trem that stays in tune but ur better off buying a guitar with it already in it or a fixed bridge.
I had to get a replacement after I broke my G string. What a pain in the ass!
I had a 350DX for over a year and the Edge III never gave me any problems.

I did eventually sell the guitar to fund an RG321 though :P

Hard-tail > Floating bridge
KK. um do you no schecters. Before I was going to get a Schecter Hellraiser C1 Fr. Do u no anything about them?
cool. i was thinking about going to musos corner which is a music shop in newcastle aus and asking if they could fully set one up with the whammy bar and lock the locking thing with the allen key(i forgot what there called)Because last time they didn't have it set up.
No. Edge III Sucks.
Any Floyd Rose style tremelo system is bad, unless it's an original Floyd Rose.

Spend $200 and get an Original Floyd Rose.
(plus the money to put it in)
Quote by Brave Moonlight
No. Edge III Sucks.

KK thx mate.
Might have to save a bit more coz ive gotta pay for half of it lol!
Last edited by Chrisby135 at Mar 27, 2009,
a lot of people think the edge 3 sucks, granted it's not as good as an official FR but not as horrible as most people make it out to be, get the guitar and if you think it's worth the money to change it then do so

personally i prefer hard tail guitars but if i were to get one with a trem i would have to get a OFR and a few mods for it cause i'm just picky
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by justinb904
a lot of people think the edge 3 sucks, granted it's not as good as an official FR but not as horrible as most people make it out to be, get the guitar and if you think it's worth the money to change it then do so

personally i prefer hard tail guitars but if i were to get one with a trem i would have to get a OFR and a few mods for it cause i'm just picky

KK. Thx.
Quote by Brave Moonlight
No. Edge III Sucks.

If your still here do u mean $200 us or aus.
Thx.
Quote by Brave Moonlight
No. Edge III Sucks.

QFF (quoted for falsities)

There are several types of floyd rose style trems, some of which some people consider to be better than an original floyd rose or schaller LFR.

These include:
Original Edge
Edge pro
Edge zero
Zero Resistance
Lo-Pro Edge

However TS, yes, the edge 3 is rather crappy, and i believe the source of instability is from the cheap knife edge metal they use which means they wear down faster, causing the trem to destabilize and not stay in tune.
Quote by Brave Moonlight
No. Edge III Sucks.

that statement is complete crap.

Ibanez, just like any other brand, makes good trems as well as bad ones.

TS, try looking for a used guitar. sometimes you can get great deals on them. i got an RG560 with the Original Ibanez Edge Tremolo and it stays perfectly in tune.

here are the trems to consider

Ibanez Original Edge
Ibanez Lo-Pro Edge
Ibanez Edge Pro
Ibanez ZR
Gotoh FR
Schaller OFR or Schaller Licensed FR

EDIT:

Beaten to it by Pacman
Last edited by SomebodySomeone at Mar 27, 2009,
Quote by Pac_man0123
QFF (quoted for falsities)

There are several types of floyd rose style trems, some of which some people consider to be better than an original floyd rose or schaller LFR.

These include:
Original Edge
Edge pro
Edge zero
Zero Resistance
Lo-Pro Edge

However TS, yes, the edge 3 is rather crappy, and i believe the source of instability is from the cheap knife edge metal they use which means they wear down faster, causing the trem to destabilize and not stay in tune.

I was just about to say that. OFR's cost about $200 US, but I believe that it's a direct replacement to the Edge 3 so you wouldn't need to get it installed by a tech.
thx everyone that just commented. I've heard alot of people over the internet talking about Gotoh and Schaller tremolos. can i have some more detail on that.
thx!
The OFR is apparently a direct swap with the Edge III, meaning no adjustment is needed on the guitar, it will fit straight in. Its also one of the best trems you can get.