Well i need to think of something to make for school in about 5 months, and i wanted it to be guitar related. I was having a discussion with a friend about a guitar case with inbuilt amps. You can put your guitar in, lock it up, get to a place, take the guitar and just plug into the case.

I was thinking of maybe getting 2 small 20-30 watt amps and getting the speaker and the controls out of the ' box ' there in, i would like small amps so the speakers aren't real big. I would modify a case so the amps could be put on the inside of it, on the top. Kinda like this.

Its not the best drawing but that's basically what i want it to be like.

Is it possible to pull amps apart, and only have the speaker and controls, and wires and stick them in an case like that? I know its pretty pointless but its something that i would be allowed to make at school. We have to have a problem and solve it by designing something.
The top on the case must be much thicker to support the speakers.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
Silvertone have some like that from the 60s/70s. You should look into it. I think it's model 1448 and it's a guitar with an amp-in-case. You could get some good ideas from that.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
I'll probably have to make the top thicker as well, so the speakers could fit in and a layer of foam or something over them to stop them damaging the guitar
I would think it would be a better idea to have the guts of the amp in the bottom and having the speakers on top. I think it would be a good idea to have as little weight on the top half.
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
Quote by elchico04
I would think it would be a better idea to have the guts of the amp in the bottom and having the speakers on top. I think it would be a good idea to have as little weight on the top half.

Remember the guitar has to fit in. But i can see what your saying. Where the headstock is in the case, there is a lot of room around it. If i can fit the guts of the amp there it should work. I still have a lot of time to plan it, but thats a good idea.
now you just have to figure out a way to fit 8 speakers in it to make the ultimate full stack case! :p
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
Hmm, wouldn't be nice turning up to play, and people are like "where are your amps?" open my case and bam! The ultimate full stack in my case.

But i need to find some options for amps.
I probably want about 2 amps, so i can put a speaker on either side. About 20-30 watts for $200-300 each, they need to be simple amps that will be easy to pull apart and modify
you only actually need 1 amp. depending on the ohms the specific amp will output you just need to find speakers that will match the amp and whether you wire them in parallel or serially
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
if you oculd find a speaker that could possible fit and not be bulky as well as have enough weight on the bottom of the case to counter the weight of the speakers. good luck id buy it if you made somethign liek that.
Quote by Pilots
Discrepancy: While at 110 KIAS and 35 deg AOB with full right pedal, trims would not keep helicopter in correct Outer roll loop.

Corrective action:
Could not duplicate on ground. 11A799. NPPC
[quote="'played[out"]']if you oculd find a speaker that could possible fit and not be bulky as well as have enough weight on the bottom of the case to counter the weight of the speakers. good luck id buy it if you made somethign liek that.

Well im thinking of what elchico04 said, get an amp and a second speaker and wired them together which shouldnt be too hard. I'll put the 2 speakers on the top part of the case the the guts of the amp near the headstock part of the case, since theres room there. Im also thing of putting a powerboard in it, so i only have 1 lead i need to plug in. I might put a chromatic tuner pedal in as well. Im still thing of ideas of how to make it.
Quote by elchico04
now you just have to figure out a way to fit 8 speakers in it to make the ultimate full stack case! :p

Now you put it like that, It would be pretty to modify an 812 to have a guitar stand in it. Although that would be pretty stupid.
Some company makes these. I think I saw them in an old guitar world mag. Just try google or MF. I'd put the amp in the bottom part of the case, and only have 1 small (4") speaker. You can build one of the mini-amps from runoffgroove.com. The Little Gem Mk. 2 has an output of 1 watt and can power anything from 4-16 ohms. Maybe even 32.

And sketchup ftw.
Quote by Invader Jim
Some company makes these. I think I saw them in an old guitar world mag. Just try google or MF. I'd put the amp in the bottom part of the case, and only have 1 small (4") speaker. You can build one of the mini-amps from runoffgroove.com. The Little Gem Mk. 2 has an output of 1 watt and can power anything from 4-16 ohms. Maybe even 32.

And sketchup ftw.

I'm making it for school, for a subject where the last 4 terms of school are dedicated to making something, and the folio. I'm thinking of making it with about 30 watt amps, so it is worthwhile. If your seen cars done up, and in the back of the car is a massive sound system, well thats what i want. You open the case and you see 2 speakers, around 30 watts on the top part. On the bottom is where the amp settings well go, a powerboard and possibly a few pedals. Maybe if i had time, i could put a fold up guitar stand in easily. There should be enough weight in the bottom to keep it from falling over but not be too heavy to carry.
get like 2 6.5" speakers or 2 8" Theres no way you can fit huge ones in a case.

as for amp, buy like a fender frontman. It's an easy to use cheap amp. I think modelling amps would be really complicated to use too. either the frontman 15 or 25.

This will be really big. And how are you gonna fit a guitar in there? youre little drawing thing is really wrong. The speakers are real big and their depth is why i say to get small speakers. and i'm pretty sure your guitar will get damaged inside that thing. and weight is a big issue too.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
interesting concept but im glad im not hauling around something like that it would be hell. The top part housing the speakers would have to be like 4" thick just to accommodate them. On top f essentially a 30 watt head and a guitar in it. thats gonna be crazy heavy. why not go with some 6.5" speakers and either a little gem mk2 or a ruby amp. they actually have pretty decent volume and accept pedals very well. I know at one point Peavey made a guitar case with an amp in check that out.
Im not planning to fit huge ones in it, the 2 6" or 6.5" speakers will suit.

The drawing, is not to scale, it is only a rough drawing done in a minute. Since im going to use small speakers they should fit into a case, which i might try make, if i can get the mounds done, or get a custom made case which i can modify.

The weight is an issue that could be dealt with easily. The weight of the amp has nothing to do with the speaker, its mainly the cover that makes it heavy, removing that will remove about 3/4 of the amps weight.

When i make it, i'll make it so the speakers aren't near the guitar, and i'll add restraints so the guitar can't move up or down.
I will make a model for you on sketchup.
OK Here it is
The amp controls are built into the bottom part of the case, as you can see a battery cover is there, it says 2 9V batteries, I know that is unrealistic, but oh well.
the top part is quite thick for the speakers to go in.

Download the sketchup file here, for more detail:
http://timmusicproject.comuv.com/case.skp
Tim.

You have entered the Twilight Zone
Beyond this world strange things are known
Use this key, unlock the door
See what your fate might have in store
Come explore your dreams' creation
Enter this world of imagination
Last edited by TimBFMV at Mar 28, 2009,
I've just realised you couldnt get the wiring from the amplifier to the speakers through a hinge, so you would probably have to put the controls on the same board as the speakers
Tim.

A little part of the wiring will have to be exposed. The speakers you put in a too big, i know my first rough sketch had big ones in it. But bigs ones are too big depth wise, and won't fit in. I thinking of maybe 2 little 10 watt speakers, I'm getting a 10 watt amp soon so ill pull it apart and see how big the speaker is.

The model you made is generally what i want it to look like, but im also thinking of putting in a chromatic tuner pedal as well.
ah nice
Tim.

That case would be great for busking
Tim.