Simply put, I'm falling in love with Clapton's tone on the Beano album. I was already planning to get a Les Paul, so that part of it should be taken care of. In the meantime though, I was wondering if there's anything I could use to coax tones reminiscent of Clapton's Bluesbreaker from my Blues Jr. I already have my TS9 to get overdrive without reaching the earsplitting volumes he had to go to, but is there anything else I need to make it more exact?

Any and all answers are much appreciated.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
I always thought clapton played a strat?
███████████████████████████████████
the keeley modded bluesbreaker is the closest i've heard tonewise, marshall amps can be pretty handy too - just play with it and see what you come up with - don't forget to write down the nice ones for future reference

EDIT ^ he was famous for playing a strat but on beano he used a marshall/lp combo
The only 6 words that can make you a better guitarist:

Learn theory
Practice better
Practice more
Last edited by doive at Mar 27, 2009,
Quote by doive
the keeley modded bluesbreaker is the closest i've heard tonewise, marshall amps can be pretty handy too - just play with it and see what you come up with - don't forget to write down the nice ones for future reference

EDIT ^ he was famous for playing a strat but on beano he used a marshall/lp combo

i figured as much.
I wouldn't be using a TS9 for the Beano tone. If you want to rely on pedals your best bet is to look at some of the "Marshall in a box" type pedals, the Box of Rock is worth a try. Then there's a lot of debate to whether Clapton used a Rangemaster on the album or not... from personal experience I don't think he did, others feel completely different about it though.
I love the Beano tone, the tone on "All Your Love" is one of my all time favorites.
a HUGE part of Clapton's tone were the alnico speakers that he ran in his JTM45. That's really the secret behind that "metallic" kind of texture to his sound. I personally would not be surprised if Clapton used a Rangemaster. And the problem with BoR type pedals is that they all model the JTM45 tone on the bright channel, Clapton used the normal channel.

And his PAFs were also a huge part of his tone. If you ever come onto a large sum of money, you can always run a setup like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfJfyltNUdA

This guy just nails the tone.

Otherwise a BoR might be the closest you get.
Last edited by al112987 at Mar 28, 2009,
The BoR is a bit of a fluke really, all it is is just 3 cascaded Super Hard Ons. The only thing Marshally in the circuit is the 470k/470pf filter. It does get the Marshall vibe though.
The BoM is also just 4 cascaded SHOs. The BoR does a lot of things well though, for one, it cleans up better than most tube amps, and it even nails that boomy bass of the JTM45. I know the BoR uses the same kind of tone control circuit from the BSIAB.
You should try this:

http://www.analogman.com/beano.htm

Beano album was awesome.
It's been argued if he did or didn't use a Rangemaster on the album. You can get his tone alot easier by using this pedal, though.
A vintage Dallas Rangemaster would obviously be very expensive, and hard to find. But if you should happen to come across one, you should sell(or give would be better) to me.