Ok dudes,
ve been playing for like...2 and a bit years.
and im relativly young.
and no one else plays in my family.
Just the whole lve seup confuses me.
I understand heads, amps etc.
but please help with ?
Cabs?
speakers?
half stack?
full stack?
just stuff like that
Lets Jam!
Last edited by Lets Jam! at Mar 27, 2009,
what are you asking for specificaly, the more info you give us the better we can answer your question
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
umm i just want to know what they are?
Not specific to MY setup.
Just what they are.
Lets Jam!
read the mo'effin stickies, dernitall.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
read the mo'effin stickies, dernitall.

this

addendum: from the mo'effin sticky.

Quote by mo'effin sticky
Originally posted by TGM

Heads, Cabs, and Combo's

Amps generally come in two forms, heads and combo's.

An amp head consists of a preamp and a power amp. It does not produce sound on it's own. In order for it to produce sound, you will need to connect it to a cab.

A cab is simply an enclosure for speakers, usually in a 4x12, 4x10, or 2x12 speaker configuration.

A combo has a built in preamp, power amp, and speaker. Some combo's also come with a cab out, so you can connect them to cabs when needed. Most combo's have one single speaker, though it is not uncommon to see combo's with a 2x12 or 4x10 or 4x12 setup.

Basically, the more speaker surface are you have, the more air is pushed, and therefore you will sound louder. So a 30w head will sound louder through two 4x12 cabs than through one 2x12 cab. (2x12 means that the cab contains two 12 inch speakers.)

You can connect a head to oone cab, or to two. When it is connected to one cab, it is a half stack. When connected to two, it is a full stack.

Connecting a combo to a cab is a good way to increase volume for a gig, though most of the time a 30w tube 1x12 combo will suffice. As long as you can hear yourself, the PA will do the rest of the work. Using a wall of full stacks (Or even half stacks in smaller venues.) isn't a great way to project your sound because it will simply be too loud on stage. You will get hearing damage, and it will be hard to create a balance. I can't stress it enough, don't buy the biggest amp you can afford, get something that will be loud enough and not louder. It may be cool to have a wall or Marshall's behind you, but you won't think so when you have to lug them around and when you have ear problems. We're all musicians, we should protect our ears like we protect our di<e>cks.

Here are some visual examples, they are fine pieces of engineering from our good friends Marshall.

Combo:

Head:

1x12 (Same size as a 2x12 cab)

Two 4x12 cabinets:

Half Stack:

Full Stack

there are pictures in the sticky that didnt get copied over for some reason
Last edited by Skierinanutshel at Mar 27, 2009,
a cab is a box that houses speakers.

speakers are basicly a magnet and a cone of paper that converts the signal comming for your amp into sound, it also acts as a load and prevents your amp from dying when you turn it on NEVER TURN YOUR AMP ON WITHOUT A LOAD

anything you need cleared up still?
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Wiikipedia dat **** mon
"You Laugh at me for Being Different. I laugh at you for all Being the Same."

Girls I want to Intercourse
Jessica Alba
Oprah
Girlicious (each of them)
Betty White
Quote by Lets Jam!
a lload?

seriously, go read the stickies or get reported for trolling/spamming. this is ridiculous.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.