Page 1 of 8
so how about at obama's online town hall, where over 90,000 questions were submitted, over 2,100 regarded the legalization of the good ol mary jane. i would think that should be some message= *legalize it, save us money buying, make the latin american drug cartels lose money selling, and make the us gov't money taxing
Your just beating a dead horse man.

So many people have tried to get it legalized, and so many have failed. Move to Amsterdam or something.
Quote by zachbino57
CSguitarvocal is correct as usual, pepsi tastes much better out of a can.

Quote by TWISTEDFender
And CSguitarvocal for teh win.
I hated his nonchalant manner about. I understand the politics behind it, I mean the conservatives would flip out if in the first few months he just legalized the herb, but him and the audience were just laughing about it. "Haha, a WEED question, hahaha!"

No, we're serious. That's why over 2,000 people asked about it.

Ugh.
Quote by kayaress one

Sir, I love you.

The only problem is they've done numerous polls recently, and over 60% of the American public still favor weed being illegal.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Quote by CSguitarvocal

So many people have tried to get it legalized, and so many have failed. Move to Amsterdam or something.

they're thinking of making it illegal there too. to many people are thinking "Oh weeds legal so i can do crack bc it's all koo"

i want it legal here btw
My Gear:
Epiphone Classic Les Paul
Ibanez JS1000 w/ Seymour Duncan Jazz and Pearly Gates
Alverez Acoustic
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Boss GT-8

Add Me?
yea, cause seriously considering it wouldn't be the biggest **** up of his political career as he loses half of his supporters...
here's a little food for thought
part of the reason the 18th amendment was repealed was because of the depression
could it be that our current woes lead to the legalization of pot?

hmmmmmm, maybe
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
All 4 Beatles signed a petition to legalize it. If the Beatles think it should be legalized, then it should be. But that didn't happen. Why?
Quote by eaglemike
so how about at obama's online town hall, where over 90,000 questions were submitted, over 2,100 regarded the legalization of the good ol mary jane. i would think that should be some message= *legalize it, save us money buying, make the latin american drug cartels lose money selling, and make the us gov't money taxing

It wouldn't save us money at all. Because of a tax, it's going to be more expensive than that of a cartell. Who would you go to, the cheaper of more expensive. Because a standard is set, the cartel has the hand to raise their prices. If the government chooses to give it for a low fee, guess who will offer it even lower.
Quote by Black Label93
they're thinking of making it illegal there too. to many people are thinking "Oh weeds legal so i can do crack bc it's all koo"

i want it legal here btw

I was just there and they're not thinking of making it illegal. the government ruled it no more dangerous than alcohol, but you're not allowed to advertise its sale. they have no plans to change that. and Amsterdam has the lowest rates of the 'problem drugs' like cocaine and heroin and ecstasy of any big city in Europe. because most people will stick with the weed, they don't need to move to harder things.
Gear:
Fender Hot Rod Deville 2x12
Custom Built Guitar (made it myself)
PRS SE Soapbar II Maple
Fender Stratacoustic (Stolen! )
Digitech RP200
Boss MT-2
Roland Microcube
I like my stuff!
Lmao you're idiots.

You think a bunch of scrotty teenagers who put 2000 questions about cannabis on an internet poll is going to make the slightest bit of difference?

Maybe he's got slightly more pressing concerns.

I'm thinking a war in Iraq, escalating problems in Afghanistan, a possible cold war (or worse) with Iran, and the worst financial crisis of our generation and many others is all slightly more important than you getting high.

Not to mention you've asked the question a hundred times before, and they've said no (and rightly so) every time.

Shut the fuck up about it, we know you're whiny bitches and we'd rather not hear about it thanks.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
All 4 Beatles signed a petition to legalize it. If the Beatles think it should be legalized, then it should be. But that didn't happen. Why?

Because the Beatles aren't really anyone special and are only 4 people. There is your answer.
Quote by Tyler Durden
It's only after we've lost everything that we're free to do anything.

Erowid
I'm tired of this debate. It should be legalize, but its not gonna happen any time on the federal level.
last.fm[/url}
Quote by guitarsftw
here's a little food for thought
part of the reason the 18th amendment was repealed was because of the depression
could it be that our current woes lead to the legalization of pot?

hmmmmmm, maybe

The economy did have an effect, but Prohibition was repealed because it was a dumb law that no one supported other than the 1920's version of the soccer mom.

I'm almost getting my hopes up with these bills popping up for serious consideration in two different states simultaneously though. Hopefully the taboo on all this crap will grow old soon.
the Mexican drug cartels are mainly selling cocaine and heroin, not pot.
Quote by CHIEF-CHEESE
You're wrong. We would save $7.7 billion per year on enforcement, and we would make anywhere from $14-40 billion in tax revenue. The drug cartels will not be able to compete with the price of marijuana in a legalized, regulated market, it's just not going to happen. A legal, taxed marijuana industry would generate A LOT of money.

You're naive if you think this is just about getting high. Those of us that smoke marijuana have no problems with that, and that's precisely the problem. The war on drugs is not working and it's wasting a gigantic amount of money. Marijuana is safer than alcohol and tobacco and there is no logical reason to be filling our prisons with non-violent offenders who committed a victimless crime.

...don't you just hate it when you have a good point to make, then you read a little further and realize someone just made your point better than you probably would have?

I hate you CHIEF-CHEESE...but I'll smoke some dank with you.
Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up.
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit.
Quote by CHIEF-CHEESE
You're wrong. We would save $7.7 billion per year on enforcement, and we would make anywhere from $14-40 billion in tax revenue. The drug cartels will not be able to compete with the price of marijuana in a legalized, regulated market, it's just not going to happen. A legal, taxed marijuana industry would generate A LOT of money.

You're naive if you think this is just about getting high. Those of us that smoke marijuana have no problems with that, and that's precisely the problem. The war on drugs is not working and it's wasting a gigantic amount of money. Marijuana is safer than alcohol and tobacco and there is no logical reason to be filling our prisons with non-violent offenders who committed a victimless crime.

The argument that 'it is no less harmful than alcohol or tobacco' is a very immature and poorly thought out one. You can't justify the legalisation of a mind altering drug just because people smoke and drink. That's like saying, 'well the public can buy small arms, so we might as well let them have tanks and bombs as well.'

And I'm naive if I think this is just about getting high? Could you tell me exactly what the point is then?
Quote by ClaptonWannabe
The argument that 'it is no less harmful than alcohol or tobacco' is a very immature and poorly thought out one. You can't justify the legalisation of a mind altering drug just because people smoke and drink. That's like saying, 'well the public can buy small arms, so we might as well let them have tanks and bombs as well.'

And I'm naive if I think this is just about getting high? Could you tell me exactly what the point is then?

Wow... I wish I had the time to bother rebutting this. Honestly dude, your reality perception is off key.
Quote by red18420
There is no point except party and be healthy and happy. Also money is not something to live for. If i didnt need money for drugs and beer i would give mine away.

Vote here to help me get to BC!
Quote by ClaptonWannabe

Tanks and bombs are more dangerous than small arms. Marijuana is not more dangerous than alcohol and cigarrettes. And furthermore, tanks and bombs can kill thousands of other, completely innocent people. Marijuana will only harm people who choose to use it irresponsibly. Your analogy is shit.

People can already get high. It doesn't have to be legal for us to get high. We don't want it legal so we can get high; we already can. It's about an injustice that is wasting a huge amount of police time and money, and imprisoning innocent people. It's about cutting off a source of money for gangs and criminals, and ending discrimination when applying for a job against people who enjoy the harmless pleasant effects of burning a plant. An injustice is an injustice, you can't dismiss it as being irrelevant by saying it's "just about getting high".

EDIT: And how the **** does saying that marijuana is less harmful than two legal drugs not justify its legalisation? The only reason anyone can possibly come up with to justify its illegality is that it's dangerous, and if it has been proven that it's not, how is that not a reason to legalise?
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at Mar 27, 2009,
I'm pretty sure states are gonna legalize before the federal government does, if it ever happens. And most of the people who are saying it will be good for the economy really just want it legalized just so they can smoke legally, the economy thing just helps it since most people are idiots about weed.. At least the laws are becoming less strict, gonna be decriminalized here soon.
It would be backwards considering all the new anti-smoking legislation (in canada at least). I don't think they could legalize it without looking like hypocritical assholes.

either way, for the tax money alone it should be legal. although this is coming from someone who also thinks cigarettes should be illegal, which the government makes a killing on. makes me feel like a dumbass.

coming from a habitual smoker of multiple substances.
███████████████████████████████████
Last edited by tona_107 at Mar 27, 2009,
Quote by CHIEF-CHEESE
You're wrong. We would [save a bunch of money on blah blah blah]

I'm pretty sure he meant the market value of the drug itself.

Quote by ClaptonWannabe

Holy shit I'm sick of seeing your dumbass arguments.

Your comparison is backwards. This scenario is like allowing citizens to own copious amounts of dynamite while outlawing firecrackers.

And it's obviously about getting high, no matter who argues it's not. But it's also about personal freedoms.
Quote by ClaptonWannabe
The argument that 'it is no less harmful than alcohol or tobacco' is a very immature and poorly thought out one.

How so? Marijuana has never killed anyone as a result of using and/or abusing it. EVER. How is that immature?

Quote by ClaptonWannabe

You can't justify the legalisation of a mind altering drug just because people smoke and drink. That's like saying, 'well the public can buy small arms, so we might as well let them have tanks and bombs as well.'

No...if you use the same analogy: Marijuana = small arms; Alcohol & Tobacco = tanks and bombs

Quote by ClaptonWannabe

Legalizing marijuana would create jobs...TONS of jobs. The government would gain HEAVY revenue off of legal marijuana in taxes and people would be buying an American product, keeping our money in our economy. Marijuana probably wouldn't be an instant remedy, but it would keep us from paying for all these 16 year olds going to jail because they had a bag that "smelled" like weed. Not to mention the crime that would decrease among gangs and botched drug deals. This has nothing to do with getting high...it's just being realistic.

...and I really hope you aren't trolling...because you're saying some pretty stupid **** without even giving a second thought to it.
I was not offended
Or drown in my own shit.
Quote by Garou1911
The only problem is they've done numerous polls recently, and over 60% of the American public still favor weed being illegal.

They haven't had a good example of a cummunities where it's legal.
when they see all the ppositive effects, those number will change drastically.
I think we took too many drugs when we were kids,
'cause now we like to make
Weird Music
-Wayne Coyne
^It can also be supported by the fact that it's not addictive and has no withdrawal symptoms, has a lethal dose that is physically impossible to take, and that it can't make people violent or irrational like alcohol can.

Just as an example of how ridiculously not-dangerous it is. I can't understand how anyone can support both marijuana's illegality and alcohol's legality,
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at Mar 27, 2009,
Quote by ClaptonWannabe

Lol wut?
YELLOWFRIZBEE s FreezerBurn

Stepco's Master
|Colowomble 2016|PSN=yellowfrizbee| + UG Community Radio|
Penn & Teller's show Bullshit can pretty much sum it up for any idiot if you can catch the marijuana episode.

If you think legal marijuana won't happen within your lifetime, you're in for a big surprise.
I was not offended
Or drown in my own shit.
Quote by CSguitarvocal

Quote by blackenedktulu
CFH82, I love you. I didn't laugh, but my god, I love you.

Quote by Zero-Hartman
Holy shit, that was epic. A mighty roar escapeth'd my mouth.

Quote by WyvernOmega
I saw a penis.

last.fm
Quote by ClaptonWannabe

Yeah how about you stop starting **** in every thread you enter hmm? That's a good one I like it

Oh and
I can't possibly reply to every single person in this thread who has quoted me because I'd be here all night but here's a summary. Before you read it be aware that I have used it a lot in the past and do so from time to time now. I can understand though why the government keeps it illegal. Anyway;

1. Marijuana is only safe is used in the confines of your own home. However, it is a mind altering drug. The instant that person leaves the house and gets into a car the OD dose and so on is completely irrelvant. My best friends brother got killed when someone who had been smoking was all over the place, mounted a curb and nailed him. He was 7 years old, and was with his cousin who was 11, who also died. If I remember rightly. So weed killed no-one? Yeah, it has.

2. Yes the same can be said about alcohol of course. But you can't make a comparison. You can't say 'alcohol is legal so weed should be' or 'weed is illegal so alcohol should be too.' Mainly because if you outlawed alcohol the country would riot, and because the fact that alcohol is legal doesn't automatically mean weed should be. Widespread mariguana use could potentially be dangerous, and even if it is not as dangerous as alcohol (which I realise it's not) it's not a reason that it should automatically be legalised.

3. Jesus can you people not take an analogy? Who the hell reads into something that deep.

Alcohol and smoking are here to stay. If the government made them illegal there'd be a state of emergency in every country in the world just about. You CANNOT justify marijuana just by saying it's less harmful than alcohol or tobacco.
Quote by ClaptonWannabe

I don't know what your problem is tonight man. But seriously, maybe weed would help that stick fall out of your ass.

Name me ONE instance where someone has OD'd on weed? Name me one instance where someone has died to lung cancer due to weed? Yes, there are SOME side effects of it, but not as drastic as alcohol/tobacco.

EDIT:

1. Marijuana is only safe is used in the confines of your own home. However, it is a mind altering drug. The instant that person leaves the house and gets into a car the OD dose and so on is completely irrelvant. My best friends brother got killed when someone who had been smoking was all over the place, mounted a curb and nailed him. He was 7 years old, and was with his cousin who was 11, who also died. If I remember rightly. So weed killed no-one? Yeah, it has.

Did WEED kill him? No. The retard who got behind the wheel did. And in that sense, yes I believe it should be illegal. Honestly, if you take the laws against alcohol and put them on marijuana, I think it would work just fine.
Quote by zachbino57
CSguitarvocal is correct as usual, pepsi tastes much better out of a can.

Quote by TWISTEDFender
And CSguitarvocal for teh win.
Last edited by CSguitarvocal at Mar 27, 2009,
Quote by CHIEF-CHEESE
He was trying to say that people would still buy weed illegally because the drug cartels would just lower the price below the legal market value to remain competitive. The problem with this is that the drug cartels would still be operating in an illegally operated, artificially inflated market, and could therefore not compete with a fully functioning legal marijuana industry.

Ah. Gotcha. Must've missed something whilst skimming.

I think a lot of it depends on how much "the man" decided to sell it for. But then again, economics has never really been my strong point.

Quote by Blow Me
...and I really hope you aren't trolling...because you're saying some pretty stupid **** without even giving a second thought to it.
Nah, he's just dense, going by some of the other garbage he's posted.
Quote by Blow Me

Legalizing marijuana would create jobs...TONS of jobs. The government would gain HEAVY revenue off of legal marijuana in taxes and people would be buying an American product, keeping our money in our economy.

+1
Quote by ClaptonWannabe

Because sober people don't get into car accidents right? Why aren't cars illigal again?
Quote by red18420
There is no point except party and be healthy and happy. Also money is not something to live for. If i didnt need money for drugs and beer i would give mine away.

Vote here to help me get to BC!
I can't really imagine going into tesco and looking down my shopping list ~

Milk
Sugar
Frosties
Coffee
Bread
Frozen chicken
Frozen chips
Bag of Pot
Diet coke
Paracetemal
Ibrufen
Sandwhich

Doesn't seem that likely...
Quote by Jericho114
Because sober people don't get into car accidents right? Why aren't cars illigal again?

Once again you're going into that line of reasoning, the line of 'this is legal, therefore this should be.' It doesn't work.

You're justifying a potentially dangerous substance being legalised just because some other things in the world are dangerous as well.

Do I really have to explain why that's wrong?
Quote by ClaptonWannabe
I can't possibly reply to every single person in this thread who has quoted me because I'd be here all night but here's a summary. Before you read it be aware that I have used it a lot in the past and do so from time to time now.

I call BS, now you're just trying not to look like a troll

I can understand though why the government keeps it illegal. Anyway;

2. Yes the same can be said about alcohol of course. But you can't make a comparison. You can't say 'alcohol is legal so weed should be' or 'weed is illegal so alcohol should be too.' Mainly because if you outlawed alcohol the country would riot, and because the fact that alcohol is legal doesn't automatically mean weed should be. Widespread marijuana use could potentially be dangerous, and even if it is not as dangerous as alcohol (which I realize it's not) it's not a reason that it should automatically be legalised.

3. Jesus can you people not take an analogy? Who the hell reads into something that deep.

1. No-one who took it themselves, YOU'RE the one who brought outside circumstances like that into play

2. Let's put 2 oz. of Gin, and a 2 joint's of weed side by side every day and see which one is worse (2 because one in the morning one later on)

3. People who can't understand what the hell it meant in the first place (everybody, because it was a bad analogy)
Quote by CSguitarvocal

Did WEED kill him? No. The retard who got behind the wheel did. And in that sense, yes I believe it should be illegal. Honestly, if you take the laws against alcohol and put them on marijuana, I think it would work just fine.

If right this instant, for some reason, everyone in the world forgot that alcohol ever existed, except for the people who knew the facts and figures behind associated deaths etc, do you really think it would be legal?
Quote by ClaptonWannabe

You are a dumbass, aren't you?

It isn't just about getting high. I've never smoked weed in my life and i'm all for legalisation. As it was said before, it can greatly stimulate the economy, cut out all the money we are spending on the enforecment and drug busts etc, and i've read numerous stories about people getting killed in weed busts.

I'm sorry about your friend/cousin/7 year old person who I can't remember what relation they had with you, but a Drunk driver killed my cousin. It wasn't alcohols fault, it was the persons. It's their responsability to use it responsibly. My friends dad smokes a lot of weed, and he would never go driving while high.

Seriously, me and my friend have been stuck in town freezing our asses off because he wouldn't come get us. Not that I blame him, though.