Page 5 of 8
Bottom line:

Cannabis is a billion dollar industry, probably at least as profitable as alcohol($25billion/year according to the Larry King show tonight). Do we want that money going to gangsters or to our Gov't?
Quote by ClaptonWannabe

Edit: If you want to quote me at least go and read the rest of the thread and my opinions. I'm not stating them all again. After I explained a lot of people actually saw where I was coming from.

K, only read the first two pages.
I'm dancing in the moonlight
It's caught me in its spotlight
Dancing in the moonlight
On this long hot summer night

Martin D-28
I'm only reading the first 4 pages. You keep repeating that your blah blah blahh was hit by a high driver.

I'm sure more people get hit by drivers taking a bite out of a big mac than taking a toke of a joint. So should McDonald's be illegal? Should fast food be illegal? Drive thrus are basically catered for eating while driving, which is, in turn, causing collisions due to people getting their grub on.

Now if someone was smoking weed AND eating a burger, what would you blame? Probably the weed, but it could easily have been the burger. Still you'd choose the weed, because you have a grudge.

EDIT: BY THE WAY, we live in a Republic, not democracy. The majority votes representatives into office. Representatives(people who represent something) represent the majority. 60% is the majority. They aren't representing us, and we want them to.
Last edited by Zombee at Mar 28, 2009,
Quote by Zombee
I'm only reading the first 4 pages. You keep repeating that your blah blah blahh was hit by a high driver.

I'm sure more people get hit by drivers taking a bite out of a big mac than taking a toke of a joint. So should McDonald's be illegal? Should fast food be illegal? Drive thrus are basically catered for eating while driving, which is, in turn, causing collisions due to people getting their grub on.

Now if someone was smoking weed AND eating a burger, what would you blame? Probably the weed, but it could easily have been the burger. Still you'd choose the weed, because you have a grudge.

Firstly, I have no grudge, just experience.

Secondly, if you're still reasoning using 'burgers can kill you so they should be illega' then I'm not going to bother talking to you. That's such a flawed way of thinking. You can't make comparisons.
Quote by ClaptonWannabe
Firstly, I have no grudge, just experience.

Secondly, if you're still reasoning using 'burgers can kill you so they should be illega' then I'm not going to bother talking to you. That's such a flawed way of thinking. You can't make comparisons.

Why? You tried to say a joint is the same a grenade in the first 3 pages.

I can't compare the number of people being hit by drivers who eat to ones who smoke? Why? You are saying that because high drivers hit people(1 a year by your estimate) that it should be illegal. People who eat and drive I'm sure kill a lot more than that and cause even more accidents. Eating while driving impairs you, so does Smoking and driving.

You have a grudge, and it is so blatantly obvious its almost pathetic that you can't recognize it.
Quote by CliffIsAngry
weed should be legalized. It's a ****ing relaxing drug! It makes you mellow out. I know ALOT of people who has aggressive thoughts and drugs like weed makes them cool.

I've never known of anybody becomming dangerous from being under the influence of maryjane. Not even from driving. (among people I know that is).

I think the dangerous driving comes from slowed reflexes.

And ClaptonWannabe, why do you keep saying you can't make comparisons? Where does this idea come from? If two things have the same effect, why is it not hypocrisy to condemn one thing for having that effect and not the other? Your logic is that weed causes driving accidents and therefore should be illegal. Why is weed the only thing that you think should be illegal for everyone because of its connection with dangerous driving, if not because of your personal experience with a weed-related driving accident?
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Last edited by whalepudding at Mar 28, 2009,
Look at it this way, if legalized, there will be laws put in place by people who are against it to try and get you in jail any legal way possible, whether it be a DUI or giving it to someone who's underage.
Quote by Spartan101400
Look at it this way, if legalized, there will be laws put in place by people who are against it to try and get you in jail any legal way possible, whether it be a DUI or giving it to someone who's underage.

Good. Still would be less people in jail.
Quote by ClaptonWannabe
After I explained a lot of people actually saw where I was coming from.

Oh I see where you're coming from, it's just that it's stupid.
Quote by Zombee

EDIT: BY THE WAY, we live in a Republic, not democracy. The majority votes representatives into office. Representatives(people who represent something) represent the majority. 60% is the majority. They aren't representing us, and we want them to.

I don't know about you, but I live in Canada, which is a Federal Parliamentary Democracy, and a Constitutional Monarchy.

I'm assuming you live in the Federal Constitutional Republic that is the United States?
███████████████████████████████████
Last edited by tona_107 at Mar 28, 2009,
Quote by tona_107
I don't know about you, but I live in Canada, which is a Federal Parliamentary Democracy, and a Constitutional Monarchy.

I'm assuming you live in the Federal Constitutional Republic that is the United States?

The thread is about the USA. Obama is our president, he is the one who laughed in the face of stoners. And the quote was in response to ClaptonWannabe(who should like Cocaine) who kept calling us a democracy.
Quote by Zombee
The thread is about the USA. Obama is our president, he is the one who laughed in the face of stoners. And the quote was in response to ClaptonWannabe(who should like Cocaine) who kept calling us a democracy.

I didn't see this newscast or whatever you speak of, but it's pretty ridiculous for him to laugh in the face of people who support decriminalization or even legalization, considering he admitted smoking weed (and inhaling, haha) on multiple occasions.
Quote by tona_107
I didn't see this newscast or whatever you speak of, but it's pretty ridiculous for him to laugh in the face of people who support decriminalization or even legalization, considering he admitted smoking weed (and inhaling, haha) on multiple occasions.

People can talk about tens of thousands of deaths in Iraq, a plummeting economy, and a job loss epidemic without flinching, but someone brings up cannabis and nobody has anything to say.

On Change.org the president said he would talk about the topic that got the most votes and someone would present it to congress(oslt). Legalization came in first by a landslide and he decides to answer the top 6, leaving legalization as "The president does not favor the legalization of marijuana". NVM the fact that all the other ones got sparkling responses and paragraphs.

Hopefully we will have our eyes open next election. Lots of new voters who wanted to be cool this time around.
Quote by Zombee
People can talk about tens of thousands of deaths in Iraq, a plummeting economy, and a job loss epidemic without flinching, but someone brings up cannabis and nobody has anything to say.

On Change.org the president said he would talk about the topic that got the most votes and someone would present it to congress(oslt). Legalization came in first by a landslide and he decides to answer the top 6, leaving legalization as "The president does not favor the legalization of marijuana". NVM the fact that all the other ones got sparkling responses and paragraphs.

Hopefully we will have our eyes open next election. Lots of new voters who wanted to be cool this time around.

That's really fucking annoying.
But it's not like anyone other than him or McCain was going to be elected anyways.
Quote by tona_107
That's really fucking annoying.
But it's not like anyone other than him or McCain was going to be elected anyways.

Cause of the new voters. The media painted the picture that Obama was cool, so they voted for him.

Ron Paul, as radically fundamental as he was, was the best choice. Unfortunately he was too much change for the Republicans, and so nobody ever took him seriously except for the few who read what he was about. Sure he had some crazy ideas, but congress would've kept him in check .
Quote by HelpTravesty
I'm tired of this debate. It should be legalize, but its not gonna happen any time on the federal level.

+1

You have to walk before you can run, boy.
Quote by HelpTravesty
Hey everyone, SMOKE WEED!

It's raining blood from a lacerated sky.

I think the reason its not legalized is because people will all start using crack after MJ is legalized
Quote by Chips-
ClaptonWannabe, if you're so concerned about people dying as a result of using marijuana why can't you see the other side of the coin? Keeping it in the black market is essentially feeding the drug cartels, and you know they kill people. What about all the people who are sent to jail for using MJ? It's your tax dollars that they use to build new prisons for those people.

Take a look at this http://skeptically.org/recdrugs/id8.html

You want to spend billions on keeping people locked in instead of profiting from the plant?

this.

You need to remember that if the govt legallised it then we'd be able to buy weed that is actually safe to consume too since you never know how much tampering people do with the drug before they sell it.
Let us plant trees that bear positive fruit
Nourish our youth with compassion and truth
Give light to mind from the deepest roots
All the way to the core where the soul can stay true
Where I can walk around with a joint in my hand
And I can plant plants right upon my land
Help me understand these our nature's laws
My creator had vision in the things he saw
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
People that are high are useless.

I like lying on the couch eating cheetos while I'm high.

Quote by Zoot Allures
this.

You need to remember that if the govt legallised it then we'd be able to buy weed that is actually safe to consume too since you never know how much tampering people do with the drug before they sell it.

+1 Especially with hash. You never know what the hell in in that, what it's been cut with. And with my poor connections that's all I've had so far. Smoked about 6 times now I think
Dancing in the moonlight

Martin D-28
Last edited by Chips- at Mar 28, 2009,
Quote by ClaptonWannabe
The argument that 'it is no less harmful than alcohol or tobacco' is a very immature and poorly thought out one. You can't justify the legalisation of a mind altering drug just because people smoke and drink. That's like saying, 'well the public can buy small arms, so we might as well let them have tanks and bombs as well.'

And I'm naive if I think this is just about getting high? Could you tell me exactly what the point is then?

You're horrible at making analogies, hahahaha. I mean, I have never seen someone fail so hard at trying to use an analogy to debate a legitimate point.

Pot is less harmful in every way compared to cigs and alcohol... yet you compare it to tanks and bombs... which are far more dangerous than guns. If you had an IQ above 12 and had any knowledge on the matter you would've made the correct analogy which is...

"Well the public can buy small arms (alcohol and cigs) but not pocket knives (pot)." Does this make sense? No, it doesn't. You know what else doesn't make sense? Your argument. Leave.
Quote by Gordita Supreme

"Well the public can buy small arms (alcohol and cigs) but not pocket knives (pot)." Does this make sense? No, it doesn't. You know what else doesn't make sense? Your argument. Leave.

That same logic could just be used to outlaw alcohol and ciggarettes..
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
All 4 Beatles signed a petition to legalize it. If the Beatles think it should be legalized, then it should be. But that didn't happen. Why?

HAHAHAHAHA
I heard somewhere that it's easier for teenagers to get weed than alcohol.
Dancing in the moonlight

Martin D-28
Quote by Chips-
I heard somewhere that it's easier for teenagers to get weed than alcohol.

Does that come to any surprise? It's sold in schools, parks, by friends, etc... the liquor store is right down the street and I could still get weed with less hassle.
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
Drugs are bad, m'kay.

People that are high are useless.

Only while high, just like how anyone is useless when they aren't doing something productive.
\We haven't outlawed internet forums yet though.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
One of the biggest holes in the arguement for legalization is that "weed is safer than alchohol and tobacco." Sure it is, but even if they legalize it that doesn't mean I'm gonna stop drinking. Marijuana is not a substitute for alchohol or tobacco.
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by handbanana
wiliscool is just plain dumb
Quote by wiliscool
One of the biggest holes in the arguement for legalization is that "weed is safer than alchohol and tobacco." Sure it is, but even if they legalize it that doesn't mean I'm gonna stop drinking. Marijuana is not a substitute for alchohol or tobacco.

That's not a hole. It's not meant as an alternative.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by Spartan101400
See, if they legalize it, then that opens it up for more people to use it, I don't like that, I have never, ever been able to have an intelligent conversation with someone that is high, it turns them all into babbling retards where I'm at.

It opens it up to less people, actually. Right now, sellers just want cash. If you have money, they'll sell to you - drug dealers don't card. If people can get cheaper weed legally by going to a smoke shop, asking for some Purp, showing their ID, and then leaving, people are going to do that. That'll drive drug dealers away, and now kids don't have access.

I can't have an intelligent conversation with my cousin who has ADHD, but after he smokes a little, I can bond with my family finally?

I had so many good points, but I'm really high right now.

Check out the FAQ's on this site though: http://www.abovetheignorance.org
Abbreviated version:
Quote by Lots of People

Quote by :.FireStorm.:
+1 Maus24

:.FireStorm.: - #15 poster in the thread, #1 in my heart.

o _o
/###############
|###############
\###############

Member #6 of the "Shoop da Whoop" club
pm C.C. Deville to join
I can't believe this thread is still going...

Here's what we've learned if you didn't read the first 10 pages:

Pros:

1) Marijuana does not kill people. Stupid people kill people. Period.

2) Marijuana would create many jobs if legalized and erase the related petty crimes for simple possession (along with the much more serious trafficking ones) and help clean out our prisons.

3) Government grown marijuana would be safer to smoke under regulation, would be much higher quality than what is typically found (by most people ) on the street, and would create a market inside of our own economy that would keep our money in our country.

4) It is possible that the drug cartels would lose a lot revenue. Most marijuana dealers move on to selling cocaine for the higher profit. IMO - this is why marijuana is considered a "gateway" drug because buying it on the street exposes you to dealers that tell dumb kids "If you like weed then try this, you'll love it"

5) Similiar to Pro #2...the by-product of marijuana is hemp. Hemp can be used in everything from clothes to rope to suntan lotion and would also create a fuckton of jobs in of itself. There are probably many other uses that can be researched entirely once the grandpa generation dies off and it's made legal. (Sorry if that was biased...)

Cons:

1) Immigration would probably soar and cause a lot of chaos with national security. It would probably also be considered a "terror threat" with people from all over the world flocking to whatever country legalizes it (*ahem*Netherlands*cough*) On second thought...the tourism would ultimately be a pro so...bleh...

2) Some people believe that because marijuana is legal people will take advantage of it and start using heavier drugs. (My #4 Pro has my belief on this)

3) There will probably be laws against smoking in public and driving under the influence, which is no problem. But there's no way to test on the spot for ".08 blood level" marijuana. Marijuana stays in your system anywhere from 2 weeks to 2 months and would possibly get you kicked out of a couple job opportunies - even AFTER it's made legal.

----------------

Sorry if I didn't sum all of it up, but for the most part, the Pros outweigh the Cons. I believe that in our lifetime (given that creepy Mayan **** doesn't happen...) we will see legal marijuana in this country. If we don't, us potsmokers will just come up with better ways to conceal it and keep crowding prisons wasting your money.
Mother Earth is pregnant for the third time
For y'all have knocked her up.
I have tasted the maggots in the mind of the universe
I was not offended
For I knew I had to rise above it all
Or drown in my own shit.
Quote by ClaptonWannabe
Lmao you're idiots.

You think a bunch of scrotty teenagers who put 2000 questions about cannabis on an internet poll is going to make the slightest bit of difference?

Maybe he's got slightly more pressing concerns.

I'm thinking a war in Iraq, escalating problems in Afghanistan, a possible cold war (or worse) with Iran, and the worst financial crisis of our generation and many others is all slightly more important than you getting high.

Not to mention you've asked the question a hundred times before, and they've said no (and rightly so) every time.

Shut the fuck up about it, we know you're whiny bitches and we'd rather not hear about it thanks.

Shut the f*ck up people. There's more to life. Go and find something better to worry about.

Assumingly, those of you protesting smoke it anyway, so why does it matter?? The world has more to worry about than you and your sh*tty drug habits.
Quote by the1

Shut the f*ck up people. There's more to life. Go and find something better to worry about.

Assumingly, those of you protesting smoke it anyway, so why does it matter?? The world has more to worry about than you and your sh*tty drug habits.

Cause there are 20 million people in jail for doing something that shouldn't be criminalized. Because most americans are for Legalization. Because if we don't speak up, dumbasses like you will be the only voice in our world.
Quote by the1

You're a fucking moron. That's as nice as I can put it.
I was not offended
Or drown in my own shit.
Quote by Blow Me
You're a fucking moron. That's as nice as I can put it.

Boo Hoo. Care to explain?

I'm all for legalization and the positive things it will bring.

But the fact is that it shouldn't be a priority. When there's a war going on, the fact that people think the government should be concerned about drugs and, let's be honest, a rather petty concern, is pretty wrong. Priorities.
Quote by the1

I did. I explained everything about 4 posts up.

EDIT:

5 posts up - can't miss it.
I was not offended
Or drown in my own shit.
Meh. Politicians are too scared of being seen as soft on drugs to take legalising cannabis seriously; because they fear it will have adverse effects on their career, and pension and such.
Plus, there's no large industry lobby group taking them to expense account dinners and the like, which does no cause any good.
Quote by the1

I'm all for legalization and the positive things it will bring.

But the fact is that it shouldn't be a priority. When there's a war going on, the fact that people think the government should be concerned about drugs and, let's be honest, a rather petty concern, is pretty wrong. Priorities.

Oddly enough the government should be concerned with whatever the hell the people ant them to be concerned with. That's the basis of democracy.

It's also why we have different departments, so that more than one thing can be done at a time.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington