Page 1 of 2
I was trying really hard to hate some guy today because I thought his guitar was stupid looking, but it just wouldn't come out. I started thinking about all of the possible incorrect assumptions people could make about my own guitar and I decided that, excluding really ****ty guitars, you can't really figure too much out about a person by the guitars they choose. That sense of taste seems to be very independent.

But then I realized I'd never met a Telecaster owner who was a real douche bag, so I rethought the whole thing and decided to make this thread.
guitar
amp

some pedals
You can't tell anything about a person by the guitar that they own.

Any correct assumptions you make are simply coincidence.
You were trying your best to hate someone just because you didn't like his guitar? Seriously,WTF is wrong with you?

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Worry less about what the TYPE of guitar says about someone, and worry more about what they can DO with the guitar. That will REALY tell you about them.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Yes u can!!!!

Look at prince and his guitar

Snap
"You Laugh at me for Being Different. I laugh at you for all Being the Same."

Girls I want to Intercourse
Jessica Alba
Oprah
Girlicious (each of them)
Betty White
13 year old with white gibson les paul bought by parents playing on youtube = probably a prick

other than that, i can't really say the guitar says much about a persons personality
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
so.....you think that a squires owner is a poor, cheapo? you dont take into account that that person couldve bought it to put awesome pups in and whatnot..and that they are actually an okay individual..
I don't think it does very much.

A person always looks normal playing any solid body guitar, but if you see someone playing a B.C. Rich, the chances are they think in the "metal" way.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Quote by Pr0gNut
You were trying your best to hate someone just because you didn't like his guitar? Seriously,WTF is wrong with you?

Well, to clarify, I already hate him. It's just that I've found new fodder, but it doesn't seem fair. It's just not working properly as a legitimate support for my theory that this man is a douche bag.

It's not really relevant to the discussion anyway. :p
guitar
amp

some pedals
Quote by guitarsftw
13 year old with white gibson les paul bought by parents playing on youtube = probably a prick

other than that, i can't really say the guitar says much about a persons personality

i know a guy who (now 19) is in this position he's a really nice guy and someone im happy to call a friend.
he's a fantastic guitarist and is playing carling academy soon, also a producer.

sometimes i want to kill him and steal his face.
Well, I think it depends on how the guitar is presented...I have a B.C.. Rich Warbeast. Looking at it, you would auto matically assume, "Metal head aggressive guy." But then you also have to figure I covered the entire thing with stickers. Which also says more about how I don't want it to look like every other guy out there with a war beast. Now...Also figuring the stickers they are...>=D It is covered with hello kitty and strawberry shortcake stickers as long as a slayer sticker, the price tag from the very first Metallica Album I ever bought, Shure Mic System Sticker...So, by that you can also get that I am not just pure aggressiveness. (Also obviously a horrible speller. =D) So I think in order to get something from it, you should also take a look at how it is presented.
I don't know, really. If I see someone playing an SG, I'd probably assume hard rock.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
I don't know, really. If I see someone playing an SG, I'd probably assume hard rock.

Well, you would be wrong if you saw me.
Quote by user_nameless
You can go ahead and sponge my bob.

/notfunnyatalljoke.

Quote by halo43
When you date a vegetarian, you're the only meat they'll ever eat.
Quote by tegrenath
I was trying really hard to hate some guy today.

Wat? Why would you ever try to hate someone? You need serious help man.

Quote by tegrenath
Well, to clarify, I already hate him. It's just that I've found new fodder, but it doesn't seem fair. It's just not working properly as a legitimate support for my theory that this man is a douche bag.

So you hate him but you need to find a reason to? And you still can't find a reason to hate him?

Are you certain you don't love this person and are struggling with it internally?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Mar 27, 2009,
Quote by oneblackened

Obviously you've never heard of Santana, Cream, The Doors, The Rolling Stones, Derek Trucks, and Jimi Hendrix.

wait.......oops
It depends overall.

Some guitars are too broad to make any assumptions. Someone with a Fender Stratocaster could be playing nearly any style of music, so it's hard to guess anything about the person.

But, if I see a person with an ESP or a B.C. Rich, I tend to assume that they enjoy playing metal.
"Notes are expensive, spend them wisely." - B.B. King
Quote by oneblackened

My post has Jerry Garcia. Your argument is invalid.

Anyway, frankly you can't learn much about people from their guitars. How they play them, possibly, but what they are, no.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
Quote by tegrenath

But then I realized I'd never met a Telecaster owner who was a real douche bag...

Thanks it means a lot.
"I was influenced to play the guitar after I saw the guy on Power Rangers do it. I figured it would be easy, since a guitar is basically a big kazoo."

Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Blues Deville(For now... FOR SALE )
Quote by tegrenath
I was trying really hard to hate some guy today because I thought his guitar was stupid looking, but it just wouldn't come out. I started thinking about all of the possible incorrect assumptions people could make about my own guitar and I decided that, excluding really ****ty guitars, you can't really figure too much out about a person by the guitars they choose. That sense of taste seems to be very independent.

But then I realized I'd never met a Telecaster owner who was a real douche bag, so I rethought the whole thing and decided to make this thread.

I have. It was a sexy as hell Telecaster too, an original '72 standard Tele in blue (lol rhymes). He doesn't deserve that guitar...he just doesn't deserve that sexy, sexy guitar...

I have a bullseye Jackson Dinky with an FR. According to your logic I listen to metal and nothing else. Wrong. I also like bands such as Sublime and Bob Marley.

Your logic is wrong.
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Quote by Xeron Brigs
It depends overall.

Some guitars are too broad to make any assumptions. Someone with a Fender Stratocaster could be playing nearly any style of music, so it's hard to guess anything about the person.

But, if I see a person with an ESP or a B.C. Rich, I tend to assume that they enjoy playing metal.

That is so true,case point, a friend of mine i met about 5 years ago plays a tele he,s played for the last 30 years. all i've ever seen him play is country in a cover band.Come to find out,he played the tele ina rock band during the 70's and 80's, recorded several albums and toured Canada. Had the chance to see him and the band do a reunion show a couple of months ago and it deffinetly changed my opinion of what type of music he preferrs.
Everyone assumes I'm a snobby, pretentious, obnoxious **** because I have a Gibson Custom Shop model.

It's so wrong. They should wait until they've actually met me. Then they can know for sure I'm a snobby, pretentious, obnoxous ****.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Well, I have a Gretsch Anniversary, A Gibson SG, and Epiphone Les Paul, a Fender Telecaster...etc. So, If people saw my playing different guitars at different times, they would form different opinions of the kind of person I am. Which would be wrong.
Gear:
Gibson SG Standard
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Gretsch G6118T Anniversary
Fender Standard Telecaster
Epi Les Paul Standard
Fender Showmaster

Peavey Valveking Half Stack

My YouTube Channel
Quote by gregs1020
Wat? Why would you ever try to hate someone? You need serious help man.

So you hate him but you need to find a reason to? And you still can't find a reason to hate him?

Are you certain you don't love this person and are struggling with it internally?
+X^0

Trying to judge someone by their guitar is kinda like musician prejudice. You may be right a lot of the time, but it's never guaranteed.
Guitars
Gibson SG '61 Reissue 'Aretha'
Fender MIM Strat 'Rosy'
Takamine EG 332c 'Betsy'
Epiphone G-400 'Lucy'

Amps
Crate V-18 1x12
Roland Cube 30x

Pedals
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Electro-Harmonix Double Muff
Line 6 Echo Park
Quote by Pr0gNut

+1
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
I'd love this theory to have some basis in truth.
I mean,
Fender Strat = knob
Copy strat = hard-up knob
LP = show off
Copy LP = Wannabe show-off
SG = Honest guy
Tele = country bumkin
Ibby GR = 'nker
and so on.
But a good pal of mine, years ago gigged around London pubs with a '54 LP Goldtop which ya gotta respect. When he went on tour he used a standard Tele. (The band ceased to exist soon after)
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

by my guitars you think A. Metal B. Likes V shaped guitars.
Dean Vendetta XM Custom Build
Guitar - Ebay 20/20
Pickups - GFS H/O Hex 40/40
Tuners - Sperzel locking 59.99/59.99
Bridge- Tone Pros - 89/89

the plan. take a 20 dollar guitar and make it sound decent

COMPLETE!! PICS SOON!!
I think it makes more sense when you look at it like this
A guitar can tell about a person's music styles and influences
and that in turn can tell a lot more about a person :P
I'd say you can get a vague idea of what somebody is like from a combined observation of their guitar(s) (If they chose it/them themselves) and what music they play.

Both parts being equally important in the judgement.

Every posession a person owns that was their will to obtain relflects on their personality in some way (usually quite vaguely), whether it be a physical posession or a skill.

This obviously isn't exact as with most things in life...

And don't expect to figure out a full "picture" of somebody's personality anytime soon with it.
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Genz Benz El Diablo 100w -> Framus Dragon 412
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
Quote by tegrenath

I've met a few one who's are ignorant idiots musically.

"If it aint straight up blues or 60's c*** rock it aint music"

"metal guitars can't handle cleans and blues"

"people who play metal aren't versatile guitar players"

I LOL'd thrice.
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
Quote by Lurcher
I mean,
Fender Strat = knob
LP = show off
SG = Honest guy
Tele = country bumkin
Ibby GR = 'nker
and so on.
But a good pal of mine, years ago gigged around London pubs with a '54 LP Goldtop which ya gotta respect. When he went on tour he used a standard Tele. (The band ceased to exist soon after)

Since when were door knobs anything to do with this thread?
Tim.

You have entered the Twilight Zone
Beyond this world strange things are known
Use this key, unlock the door
See what your fate might have in store
Come explore your dreams' creation
Enter this world of imagination
Quote by Lurcher
I mean,
Fender Strat = knob
LP = show off
SG = Honest guy
Tele = country bumkin
Ibby GR = 'nker
and so on.

I don't know... none of that makes sense, 'cept for the tele one.
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Quote by Thomme
I don't know... none of that makes sense, 'cept for the tele one.

This from the guy that says

"Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica."

LOL What's that all about?
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
there is some sense ti this theory, but it is more of a deduction than an induction.

for example:
if you see some guy playing on a Dean ML, logically, you can come to two conclusions:
a)seeing as a Jazz, Country or Blues player probably wouldn't play an ML, he plays Harder stuff like Rock, Metal, ETC.

b) dimebag fanboy who got duped into an ML by the salesman.

it can work with certain guitars, but when you look at a guitar like a Les Paul or a Strat, which are used from most every genre from Metal to Country to Jazz, you cant look at one and say that there is a definite genre that a person plays based on said guitar.

Exception: Zakk Wylde Les Paul - No one but fanboys play this guitar.

Seems like this would be a good time to teach you guys about the ancient philosophy and reasoning technique of Syllogisms.

a syllogism is where you start with two premises and come to a conclusion. for example:
"Cats are not allowed inside the house
Sophie is my cat
Therefore, Sophie is not allowed inside the house."

but you can have "Fallacies", which are faults in logic. for example:
"All Jackson players who are dicks
Jim plays a Jackson
therefore, he is a dick."

the fault is in the first premise, stating that all Jackson players are dicks. though this is your opinion, it is not fact and therefore an invalid premise. lets try again:
"i have met some Jackson players that are dicks
Jim plays a Jackson
therefore, Jim maybe a dick."

now, many, MANY fallacies appear on UG everyday. for example, the Famous spider/MG discussions:
"Line 6 Makes the spider amps
Spider amps suck
Therefore, all Line 6 amps suck"

"my amp broke down
my amp is a Line6 Spider III/Marshall MG
therefore, all Spider IIIs suck/Marshall MGs suck"

"i heard Dickey Betts say that No pros use Transistor amps
therefore, no Pros use transistor amps."

"you tell me that your amp is good
you are poor
therefore, you statement is invalid."

the problem with Fallacies are that they become used by some person with authority, and they become a fact, or a Paradigm (remember people, until Copernicus came 'round, we believed that we were the centre of the universe.)

so next time you post something, try and think: does this make sense? does my logic work, or is is faulty?
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Last edited by Jhachey22 at Mar 29, 2009,
probably what type of music they play. e.x. esp ibanez, b.c. rich=metal
Oh Hey look at my signature
Quote by scott58
This from the guy that says

"Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica."

LOL What's that all about?

google it
Fact: Bears eat beats. Bears beats Battlestar Galactica.
Quote by Jhachey22
there is some sense ti this theory, but it is more of a deduction than an induction.

for example:
if you see some guy playing on a Dean ML, logically, you can come to two conclusions:
a)seeing as a Jazz, Country or Blues player probably wouldn't play an ML, he plays Harder stuff like Rock, Metal, ETC.

b) dimebag fanboy who got duped into an ML by the salesman.

it can work with certain guitars, but when you look at a guitar like a Les Paulor a Strat, which are used from most every genre from Metal to Country to Jazz, you cant look at one and say that there is a definite genre that a person plays based on said guitar.

Exeption: Zakk Wylde Les Paul - No one but fanboys play this guitar.

Yup, I would say an all single coil strat (stock coils) is not any where near as versatile now as it has always been however, just because of the limitations of singles at high gain, which a heap of genres use now, as opposed to earlier in the strat's history.

So you could then narrow a view down a lil farther if they own one, however it wouldn't give you much info still.
Jackson DK2M
Washburn WD-18SW
Ibanez RGR421EXFM
Boss GE-7
Ibanez TS-9
Eh, I don't think it's as exact as judging a person by how they keep their car. That'll really tell you a lot about a person. Especially if the car is owned by their parents.

But guitars... I dunno, I myself play an Ibanez PGM301. Do I play Paul Gilbert/Racer X stuff? No. Would I if I were actually capable? Yes. But my picking sucks.

What do I play then, you ask? Interpol, The Darkness type stuff, Megadeth (I love Marty Friedman), Alice In Chains, Rammstein riffs and all sorts of random stuff.
Quote by tmfiore
I don't think it does very much.

A person always looks normal playing any solid body guitar, but if you see someone playing a B.C. Rich, the chances are they think in the "metal" way.

I don't like extreme guitars! The most extreme shape I like is the xiphos! And I think the Mockingbird is a sexy bitch!
Page 1 of 2