when you guys learn songs or are covering songs in a band do you try to learn the exact solo or do you improv your own? and which would be better to do?
Depends on the song. Sometimes I'll learn the exact solo and then start improving on it, other times I'll just do one or the other.
i do a little of both. i learn the awesome parts of a solo, and then fill in my own stuff wherever i want. as long as it fits with the song, its all good. i dont think that there is a "best" way to do it.
My Main Gear

guitars
gibson sg special faded
Fender Stratocaster (turning it into the black strat relic!)
cort stat 2t
ventura (ibanez artcore lawsuit era copy)
'74 alvarez acoustic

amps
peavy transtube express 112
i used to learn them as it was good practice and really helped me figure out how to write a solo by analysing others work.
when i was more proficient i started improvsing and writing my own solos.
Quote by sg dude 38
i do a little of both. i learn the awesome parts of a solo, and then fill in my own stuff wherever i want. as long as it fits with the song, its all good. i dont think that there is a "best" way to do it.

Agreed. I'll learn the solo, then shift it a bit - add and take out some bits just to put my own flavor on it, but still keep the original feel of it there. I don't want it to completely lose the soul of the original artist's intention, but I also don't want it to sound like it's not me playing on his idea.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
If it is a very popular or well known solo I play it exactly most of the time. If it is more of the noodling type I will do my own thing. Also sometimes I will extend the solo section a bit to throw in my own if the solo is a big part of the song but I still want to do my own ideas over it.
There are some songs where you just have to play the original solo like Sweet Child O' Mine and Stairway To Heaven but if it's a not-so-well-known Metallica song like Holier Than Thou just do some generic pentatonic wankery, they won't notice the difference.