I am looking into getting a new guitar soon, and I personally want an Ibanez. But I hear a lot about tremolos and yet I don't know what is good or not. Out of the Ibanez selection, what is the best trem?
Edge Pro or ZR are probably the best as far as Ibanez goes. The Edge III gets a lot of hate on here but if you don't abuse the trem they aren't bad.
I would say Edge Pro. Never used ZR. I had a guitar with a Edge III, didnt use the whammy bar and could never keep it in tune very long.
Fender American Select Strat HSS Antique Burst
Fender American Select Strat HSS Transparent Crimson
Fender American Deluxe Strat
PRS Custom 24 USA
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Ibanez RG1570 Prestige
Parker PDF100
just..... k i ahve had problems with ibanez, but the best thing to do, if you want an ibanez would be to get a guitar which a OFR fits into then swap them. thats what i think.
Original Edge
Edge pro
Lo-Pro Edge
ZR and ZR II
Edge zero

EDIT:
Quote by misfitsramones
just..... k i ahve had problems with ibanez, but the best thing to do, if you want an ibanez would be to get a guitar which a OFR fits into then swap them. thats what i think.

I think it's absurd to get a $500 guitar and spend another $200 on it so it can have a good bridge when you could get a used one with a great trem for less than that.
Last edited by Pac_man0123 at Mar 28, 2009,
Quote by Pac_man0123
Original Edge
Edge pro
Lo-Pro Edge
ZR and ZR II
Edge zero

qft.
I have 2 guitars with the original edge.
They are amazing.
I don't remember where I was,
When I realized life was a game.
The more seriously I took things,
The harder the rules became.
I have an edge zero. I love it, it stays in tune. I never need a screwdriver and it's very easy to change tunings.
I need help with this too.
Im stuck between the edge pro (Rg1550M) or the Edge Zero (Rg2550z)

What exactly are the differences?
Quote by hell_monkey
Lmao pantera? you'd think obama listened to some tupac or something
Edge Zero has the ZPS3 with makes it really stable. You also never need a screwdriver to adjust it.
Quote by Pac_man0123
Original Edge
Edge pro
Lo-Pro Edge
ZR and ZR II
Edge zero

EDIT:

I think it's absurd to get a $500 guitar and spend another $200 on it so it can have a good bridge when you could get a used one with a great trem for less than that.

+1
edge pro is the old design. tried and tested. a great trem.

the edge zero is made from different materials, and has the ZPS3. The zero also has locking studs as standardwhich the pro doesn't (it's not a difficult mod to do though). This ensures the studs don't move meaning the tuning stability stays fantastic for longer, but this is usually only an issue after years of trem abuse.

you can't really go wrong with either though. They're both solid trems
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
If you can find a second hand Ibanez with an original Edge or Edge LoPro, they're the two of the best trems around. It's the best I've ever tried.

Also! My sig links you to a helpful Ibanez trem guide. Worth the read!
Phrases Label
The Bohemes
---
The White Strat w/Dimebucker
Tokai Explorer Korina
Ibanez RG570 Purple Neon
Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Ebony
Fender Telecaster Apple Red
Dano '59 Burgundy
Ibanez Artcore AM-73
Quote by bornfidelity
If you can find a second hand Ibanez with an original Edge or Edge LoPro, they're the two of the best trems around. It's the best I've ever tried.

Also! My sig links you to a helpful Ibanez trem guide. Worth the read!

Thats quite useful actually! I had always thought the Zr was the best... little did i know!

Ive only got 1 more question that will be my deciding factor between two guitars.
If you remove the ZPS, does the 'stiffness' of the trem decrease?
Quote by hell_monkey
Lmao pantera? you'd think obama listened to some tupac or something
I honestly don't know. I had some trouble with the trem at first and tried everything to get it to stay in tune. It was also very stiff. The only problem was that the springs weren't broken in yet and the strings weren't stretched. I broke them in doing my extensive and excessive trem tests. I did put it back in since I realized that I don't really like the flutter. I don't think the ZPS3 makes a big difference in stiffness. It's more about stability. It's not as smooth since it doesn't move as freely.
Quote by BackDoorEntry
Thats quite useful actually! I had always thought the Zr was the best... little did i know!

Ive only got 1 more question that will be my deciding factor between two guitars.
If you remove the ZPS, does the 'stiffness' of the trem decrease?

If you remove the ZPS from the ZR trem, i hear it loses quite a bit of stability. I think the stiffness may increase, but i also think that knife-edge trems are a lot more sensitive to movement. In some cases, this may be a good thing, but for me, it bugged me. (i just tried a ZR trem today again)
I got ZR bridge in my guitar, and its only one I've used. Its a great bridge, holds tuning amazing and I really rape it at tiems, take it to its extremes.

However only fault I can find is that the bar screws in, I'd liek one like Vai's that clips in.
To dispel some confusion:

If you remove the ZPS bar from any zero-trem, those being ZR, ZRII, EZ, two things happen. One, it becomes less stiff on the dive - as you've just removed two springs which counter the dive, and two, the stability doesn't change in any way, it's still great if you're tuned the thing correctly in the first place.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
I say that the ibanez zr is a really great smooth trem and it will last forever but i have an ibanez saber from 87 with the original edge trem on it and it works just as smoothly and stays in tune just as well as any other trem i've ever used, i ust put a little big bends nut sauce on the saddles and on the knife edges and it works great, probly dont even need the nut sauce but it does keep it smooth. It is a great sounding trem that works really well i cant say enought bout it. I am actually blocking it today as i dont use the trem to go up and the added stability is nice, i also prefer havin more springs for more tension which u cant do with a fully floating trem because it will be pulled back and intonation will get screwed up. I've heard that the newer trems on the current edge 3 tremolo absolutely sucks and after tryin one out i'd have to agree, not nearly as smooth or as toneful as the original few ibanez trems.the edge zero on the rg prestige line is pretty nice too