Poll: What's Steven Kings Scariest Book?
Poll Options
View poll results: What's Steven Kings Scariest Book?
IT
31 26%
Pet Semetary
25 21%
The Shining
22 18%
Cell
4 3%
Salem's Lot
6 5%
The Stand
4 3%
Desperation
2 2%
Misery
8 7%
Bag of Bones
0 0%
Other (specify)
17 14%
Voters: 119.
Page 1 of 2
Ok so i just finished the book i was reading and wanted to start reading a Stephen King book. I really want to read one of his horror novels and was wondering what everyone thought is his scariest book.
"Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it." ~Henry David Thoreau
Last edited by pearlJam_31490 at Mar 28, 2009,
I've never read one of his books but apparently he has a book about a car that drives itself and kills people or something to that effect.

Kind of like what Herbie should have done to Lindsay Lohan in that one movie so I wouldn't have to hear about all her problems all the time on the "news"
Quote by soulflyV
Prepare to have every orifice in your body occupied by a dwarf.
I would say I've read more unsettling short stories of his then actual novels.
How I wish, how I wish
That the world, that the world
Had just one
THROAT
And my fingers were around it

Literature thread
I love king, but don't read cell if you're looking for straight up zombie horror. Not going to give it away, but just warning ya.
Quote by cobain_is_king
He likes Linkin Park, he must be a paedophile.

Justice Is Lost
Justice Is Raped
Justice Is Gone
Pulling Your Strings
Justice Is Done
Seeking No Truth
Winning Is All
Find it So Grim
So True
So Real
Uh...idk about scary, but The Dark Tower is pretty awesome.
Quote by LaGrange
an 08er made me lol
good one!

yes, I bring teh luhlz.
If you want scary then his short story collections are great.

But for other scary books try, It, The Shining or Pet Semetery.

'Salems lot is really good but not particularly scary. I though Duma Key his newest one was pretty creepy as well.

I'm reading his Dark Tower series at the moment, Im up to the last book. It's absolutely epic.

EDIT: read the stand. If you could only read one read The Stand.
Good Charlotte sounds like...uh...they sound like...um...well, they taste like a popsicle stick thats been shoved up someones ass -Eddie Vedder

REMEMBER DISCO: All stupid fads go away with time. STOP COMPLAINING
Last edited by israels_son at Mar 28, 2009,
I don't know about scary, but I really enjoyed 'Salems lot. It really only creeped me out once a bit, but it was none the less a very enjoyable novel.

Thinner was boring as all hell though, if you ever consider it...
THE STAND FTW!!!!!!!
It was probaly the best book i have ever read. Not exactly scary but it was still ****ing awsome!

Or the Dark Tower Series. There are 7 of em and I have read 3. So far they are great
The Dark Tower > The Stand, imo.
Quote by LaGrange
an 08er made me lol
good one!

yes, I bring teh luhlz.
Quote by Garret.
I've never read one of his books but apparently he has a book about a car that drives itself and kills people or something to that effect.

Kind of like what Herbie should have done to Lindsay Lohan in that one movie so I wouldn't have to hear about all her problems all the time on the "news"

Its called Christine. Its pretty good.
I want to read IT, I hear good things about it.
Quote by Mudmen190
Its called Christine. Its pretty good.
I want to read IT, I hear good things about it.

Do It!
Good Charlotte sounds like...uh...they sound like...um...well, they taste like a popsicle stick thats been shoved up someones ass -Eddie Vedder

REMEMBER DISCO: All stupid fads go away with time. STOP COMPLAINING
Quote by belgion75
H.P. Lovecraft really is the way to go when it comes to horror...

Amen to that
H.P. Lovecraft is like the godfather of the modern day horror story (Poe was the forerunner to it)

IT is probably the scariest I've every read from King, but the only other books I've read that he has is Night Shift and The Dark Tower Series

If you like Zombie novels, check out Brian Keene. His Rising books are pretty good
pet semetary sort of drags at some points, but the last 40-50 pages or so are the scariest I've ever read.

I'd also highly recommend the shining and misery.
but really, you can't go wrong with Mr. King.
The only scary Stephen King book is the one where he butchers the English language.

....Oh wait that's all of them.
Firefly > You

Trumpet Alliance
Quote by Von.

Yeah, I would get Everything's Eventual by him. It has 14 short stories I think; I read the first 2, and they haunt me for a while.
Quote by SteveHouse
M. Night Shyamallama

^^ His short stories are pretty awesome. He's got lots of varied works, so just start somewhere, and read whatever from there
I'd go with Pet semetary. the last 50 or so pages are scary stuff.
misery is good and the shining just dragged on to me.

IT was scary within the first 40 pages. i stopped after that for a while.
Gear:
Schecter C-1 Artist
IbanezGXR20
Line 6 Spider ll 75
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
EHX Metal Muff
EHX Nano Small Stone
Alvarez FF60WR

Labyrinth Within
I love Stephen King but when it comes to horror, Richard Laymon is better.

He writes some creepy stuff.

RMF

I was much further out than you thought
And not waving but drowning.
I was much too far out all my life
And not waving but drowning.
I read a few of his books, but you don't have Christine or Dreamcatcher. I actually use SSDD as abbr. for some days.

Scariest would be IT. I didn't read it, but the night that I watched the movie, the sky was full of thick black clouds and the sunset shown through only thin slivers of red. The day itself was scary so I'll always associate the two.
Quote by belgion75
H.P. Lovecraft really is the way to go when it comes to horror...

Very very true. The Lurking Fear will forever make me shit bricks.

As for all these "Dark Tower is Scary" posts I have this to say: Dark Tower is not Horror. Yes it has Scary parts in, but these parts are in the minority. Maybe about 100 pages out of the whole series.
The Dark Half is the scariest King novel I've read. I've read all of the ones in the poll though, apart from Desperation.

Quote by Garret.

From a Buick 8. Unfortunately, it's not very good.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by Von.

Yeah, he's written some amazing short stories as well. Check out one called "Strawberry Spring". I loved that one.
Gear:
'50s National Archtop
Squier Classic Vibe '60s Tele
Squier Affinity Strat
Gibson Melody Maker
Vox AC-15
50s Stella Parlor Acoustic

MOAR FIRST ACT
I was there
Quote by Spirit_Crusher
pet semetary sort of drags at some points, but the last 40-50 pages or so are the scariest I've ever read.

I'd also highly recommend the shining and misery.
but really, you can't go wrong with Mr. King.

Pet Semetary hit me on so many levels that it is to this day the only book i have ever read that caused me to have nightmares

its among the finest pieces of human storytelling and horror fiction

King's strength is writing strong characters that you can identify with and thus be terrified along with. You feel their sense of fear and tragedy in each novel
Quote by Mr. La Fritz
I love Stephen King but when it comes to horror, Richard Laymon is better.

He writes some creepy stuff.

+100 Laymon is the best horror writer I've come across! (Read The Travelling Vampire Show)

But sticking to Stephen King I think you should read IT... That frightened me a lot!
Quote by IDon'tLoveYou
FINALLY!

THANK YOU!

Was waiting for ages for the penis.

Quote by guitar-guy01
i'm in ireland, we're neutral, we won't fight unless its for a day off or alcohol

Nihilism doesn't exist...
Pet Semetary If you haven't seen the movie or don't already know the plot. The stand is my favourite of his books however but doesn't contain so much horror, more tragedy and drama as opposed to shocks.
Probably some of the "short" stories from that Five Minutes to Midnight, or something like that, book.
I really didn't find It that scary. It was really good, but didn't really scare me or anything. I think Salem's Lot was the only one that freaked me out a little. Don't really know why.
Quote by Trefellin
You know a music scene is fucked up when it becomes difficult to keep track of who killed who, who committed suicide and who alledgedly engaged in cannibalism.

LastFM
Quote by rabidguitarist
The Dark Half is the scariest King novel I've read. I've read all of the ones in the poll though, apart from Desperation.

From a Buick 8. Unfortunately, it's not very good.

no, the guy earlier in the thread was right. In Christine the car kills people. From a Buick 8 was about an interdemensional (sp?) rift. I actually thought it was pretty good.
Quote by cobain_is_king
He likes Linkin Park, he must be a paedophile.

Justice Is Lost
Justice Is Raped
Justice Is Gone
Pulling Your Strings
Justice Is Done
Seeking No Truth
Winning Is All
Find it So Grim
So True
So Real
I dunno about scariest but Cell is one of his best. Id start with The Shining if I were you though
Quote by Kapps
Probably some of the "short" stories from that Five Minutes to Midnight, or something like that, book.

I think its called Four Past Midnight. I was thinking about trying out Everything Eventually which is his collection of 14 different short stories. For the people who have read it would it be a good place to start?
"Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it." ~Henry David Thoreau
'It' creeped the hell out of me.

Best Stephen King book though, is 'The Dark Tower'. Not too scary, but the whole series is wonderful.
All your base are belong to us.
I don't find his work particularly 'scary' (except It). I just find it pure, unadulterated, awesome. I've only read the first part of The Dark Tower, and it was incredible, even though all I've ever heard about it was that it was the worst of the series, so I can't wait to get the next one.

If you're wanting scary, go with It.
You're using UG classic, congratulations.
You should be using UG classic.

E-Married to Guitar0Player

http://the llama forum because its gone forever which sucks and I hate it.
I don't know about the book but I think the film IT is hilarious. I love scary clowns.
I haven't read/watched most of his work, but Misery creeped the **** out of me. So did The Mist.
His short stories are great, as are his novels. I'm currently in the midst of It(by midst I mean page 90 of 1930) and it's extremely good.

Aguaedit: Also, my friend is reading Cujo and says its really creepy.
Last edited by Aguamento at Mar 28, 2009,
Page 1 of 2