Would it take to jam with a drummer and a guitarist who has a 2X12 50w tube amp (he doesnt crank it all the way, just to be even with drummer)

Would 300w 1X15 be good enough?
Yep, unless its Berhinger, or another similarly crappy brand.
Quote by telecastrmastr
if this goes in someones signature im gunna be pissed

Quote by jimithrash
what do you mean by goat
Im the guitarist, im posting to find out how many watts of bass my friend will need when he gets an amp to jam with me and a drummer, ill have my amp loud enough to stay even with the drummer, as for him exactly how many watts do you recommend to comfortably stay with the drummer? Are 15 inch speakers or multiple 10 inch better?
I would recommend at minimum 200 - 250 W playing with a guitarist and drummer without running through a PA.

On the speaker config. A 4 x 10, for instance will give you a very punchy sound. A 1 x 15 will be more boomy and support the deeper end. It really depends on what sound you are looking for. My advice--try both configurations and see which one is more suitable.
Thanks for all the help

How is the 300w Behringer 1X15? Is there any suggestions for around 300$?
Quote by DeadMeadow
Thanks for all the help

don't get it, it's more like 180, has terrible tone, and will break sooner rather than later.

Carvin and Acoustic will get good deals for cheap, look at those.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by DeadMeadow
Thanks for all the help

Behringer=epic fail.

id suggest these:

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/SWR-LA15-Bass-Combo-Amplifier?sku=482038

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ashdown-Five-Fifteen-15-Combo-Bass-Amp?sku=485040
Ibanez SR 505
Brice Defiant 6 lizardburst (soon to have)
GK 700rbII
GK BXL 4x10
GK BXL 1x15
Boss GT10B (soon to have)
Search bar Berhinger in the bass forum and you'll find out. They have a well earned bad reputation. There are far better options to be found.

Check used--there are some great options out there. I'm more of 4 x 10 fan, but other's in the forum should be able to suggest some options.
Look into acoustic brand amps. Lot of power and tone for relatively little money. systematic_nois had some good suggestions too. I'm not a fan of SWR but others are. I am on the other hand a fan of ashdown amps. My favorite brand is peavey. If you've got a good budget look into those too.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

I feel bad saying this, but why can't the bassist be overheard by the guitarist? Well, if there is only one guitar then, ok, but why do people care that bass gets drowned out all the time? Not being mean or anything, just curious. I guess it's kinda sad to a bassist if they get drowned out by a guitarist even when they work hard too. :/ i dont know. just a rant.

ignore this comment
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
I actually have a non selfish response apak. you have a great point. why does a bassist need to be heard?

quite simply, as part of the beat, the bass needs to be there, looping a riff, or keeping time, or accenting chord changes. if it is being melodic, well, it should be heard. it's the melody. also, if the bass loses it's loudness, the song will sound more hollow and weak.

there is such thing as a stupid question, this however wouldn't be found in the searchbar.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Last edited by the humanity at Mar 28, 2009,
Quote by Captain Insano
If you cant compete with the guitar tell him to turn down.

Chyeah, that'd work.

Also to humanity: Bass is the rhythmic and the melodic backing generally. When we want to be heard, we get the guitarist to fill in the space, pretty simple. And bass is just as good as a solo instrument as it is in a band situation, many bands were/are very bass-centric, bass controls the feel of the song.
Your question irks me because it makes you sound like you treat bass as if it should just stick to root notes.
Quote by apak
I feel bad saying this, but why can't the bassist be overheard by the guitarist? Well, if there is only one guitar then, ok, but why do people care that bass gets drowned out all the time? Not being mean or anything, just curious. I guess it's kinda sad to a bassist if they get drowned out by a guitarist even when they work hard too. :/ i dont know. just a rant.

ignore this comment

Well it's like saying to a painter:

"Yeah you've but lots of work into this amazing painting" and then

*burns painting*

"It didn't need to be seen so it's fine."

To be honest, you may as well of said, why does anything need to be heard but the guitar, does make you sound like an ass really.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
I've found it can depend on the brand, I have a Kustom 10w amp (I don't gig and my parents hate sound of any kind) and I've found it goes much louder than some 100w amps (Marshalls and Oranges) I've used while trying out basses in shops, although that could be a matter of acoustics and the fact that I use a multitude of effects. On second thoughts though, more watts usually means better tone (with the exception of crappy cheapo brands).
Quote by Spaz91
I've found it can depend on the brand, I have a Kustom 10w amp (I don't gig and my parents hate sound of any kind) and I've found it goes much louder than some 100w amps (Marshalls and Oranges) I've used while trying out basses in shops, although that could be a matter of acoustics and the fact that I use a multitude of effects. On second thoughts though, more watts usually means better tone (with the exception of crappy cheapo brands).

I'm going to say right now that you have no idea what you're talking about. Due to how physics works, the 100 Watt amp will be twice as loud as your kustom practise amp.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
Well it's like saying to a painter:

"Yeah you've but lots of work into this amazing painting" and then

*burns painting*

"It didn't need to be seen so it's fine."

To be honest, you may as well of said, why does anything need to be heard but the guitar, does make you sound like an ass really.

Music is all about "space" and the key to being able to hear both guitar and bass is just not stepping on eachothers toes frequency wise. Basically, if you try and make more noise than the guitar, you're essentially neglecting your role as a member of the rhythm section. BUT if you EQ yourself in the right way, you can slide underneath the guitarist and be heard at the same time without cluttering up the music.

It depends on genre/situation of course and sometimes it will suit the music to be louder than your guitarist, but generally it's best to just cooperate and try and find a happy medium.

Well, unless your guitarist is a jackass who wants to be the only one heard, in which case you should probably kick him out of the band and find a new one.
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
Quote by the humanity
too quiet. Acoustic B200.

This. I own the B200 and it is an amazing amp for how little it costs. I play in a band consisting of two guitars (one solid state 100W and one tube 100W) a synth player, a loud ass drummer, and a singer. I can be heard over all of these.