Hey guys. So this is my version of Sum 41's "The Hell Song." I did my first version of this a while ago (like 3 years ago) and put it up here and i got some good feedback, so i'm hoping my 2nd attempt at it is met with equal opinion/advice. Let me know what you think, and as always, crit for crit.

It's in my profile.
Wonderful!

My only grip is the volume of the vocals changing a bit during transitions due to the panning. Why don't you try doubling the vocal track during the choruses to give a fuller sound?
Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
Quote by evening_crow
Wonderful!

My only grip is the volume of the vocals changing a bit during transitions due to the panning. Why don't you try doubling the vocal track during the choruses to give a fuller sound?

hi thanks for the feedback. yeah i'm starting to notice that a bit more too. in the transitions it's not necessarily that they are panned, but there is a sample delay applied hard to one side to try and give it a fuller sound, so maybe i need to tinker with the levels a bit. as for the chorus, i have it doubled but one of them i cut back hard and applied some roto and delay, but it's really not coming through as well in this mix...perhaps i should bring it out? thanks for the crit!
The chorus bit you did with roto and delay is too quiet. I could kinda tell it was there with headphones on, but I had to really listen. I think if you panned the two seperate a little bit, that would be cool. But the chorus is indeed quieter than the verse, so you might have to some level adjustment there.

But there are a lot of layers here, and it's exceedingly well done. All the guitar overdubs in particular are spot on, in time, in tune, all of that. I'm not personaly a huge fan of the way it's eq'ed, but that's really just personal preference anyway.

I'm also not so sure that such an extreme change of pan for the chorus is a good thing, either. It's like it's on both sides at first and then it just slams into the middle and back. It's kinda weird to me. Maybe a less drastic pan?

But overall, it's still very good. When we only have things to say about possible mixing issues that are just personal preference anyway, it's definitely a good sign.

I'd appreciate it if you'd look at my new one: it's much simpler than yours
Wow man, this is a really interesting take on this song. I really like the way you did the solo. I didn't think this song could sound so great acoustic. Great job!
First off, thanks for the crit on my cover of Another Brick In The Wall.

Man, I love the sound of the acoustic guitars on all your tracks. So, the question inevitably is going to be, what was your recording setup? As far as crit goes, I have to first admit that I'm not as familiar with the covers you've done, so I don't have any sort of comparisons to go on, but I don't think it's really needed either. The recording quality is EXCELLENT. Acoustic guitars are crisp, clean, and in tune (bonus for that). As far as mixing goes, I really don't have any negatives. I have to agree with one of the other posts in that mixing is somewhat subjective. What I might like someone else won't. I loved the mix.

Great job!
Quote by Whiskey Tango

Man, I love the sound of the acoustic guitars on all your tracks. So, the question inevitably is going to be, what was your recording setup?

Thanks for the kind words and comments. Essentially, I play through my Acoustasonic Jr. amp with the T5. I usually mic right off the center of the cone using a good ol' SM57, but it's not uncommon for me to be lazy and just run straight from the XLR out of the amp. Either way, the sound goes through the Apogee Duet (fantastic preamps) and straight logic, where I mix it down and add any touches, like extra reverb (space designer) and compression and all that jazz. In this case I also put some sample delay on the right side of the signal so it has a bit more stereo sound while giving it a "natural" pan. To be honest i'm still trying to find the best way to do it, which is way each recording sounds different from the last haha. The sound you hear on the guitars is pretty much how it comes out of the amp!
Quote by jables23092
Thanks for the kind words and comments. Essentially, I play through my Acoustasonic Jr. amp with the T5. I usually mic right off the center of the cone using a good ol' SM57, but it's not uncommon for me to be lazy and just run straight from the XLR out of the amp. Either way, the sound goes through the Apogee Duet (fantastic preamps) and straight logic, where I mix it down and add any touches, like extra reverb (space designer) and compression and all that jazz. In this case I also put some sample delay on the right side of the signal so it has a bit more stereo sound while giving it a "natural" pan. To be honest i'm still trying to find the best way to do it, which is way each recording sounds different from the last haha. The sound you hear on the guitars is pretty much how it comes out of the amp!

Nice! Thanks for sharing your setup. Too many on UG think they are giving away something if they divulge too much. It's nice to get details on setup. Thanks again.
This is excellent, not an obvious song to make an acoustic version of! the harmonizing guitar parts in the solo are awesome and at it's well mixed. Another excellent bit of work! There is a bit of hiss at the very beggining but that becomes lost in the mix. Just when the vocals come in, I feel that it's panned too harshly, if only just!

Could you check out my version of My Plague? It's on my profile
Too much gain = Ears in pain
I really enjoyed this dude. The guitar was smooth through out and went well with the vocals. As far as vocals go I dont know why you said you werent too good. I was thoroughly impressed by them and would kill to sing like that. Anyway I enjoyed this a lot the only part I would have changed was to add a little reverb to the solo, but hey thats me. Thanks for the crit man and top notch job. 9/10
Defend Your Dreams
dude this is great

guitar parts are great, voice is an interesting approach compared to the original. Overall a great cover! nice work!
Gear:
'50s National Archtop
Squier Classic Vibe '60s Tele
Squier Affinity Strat
Gibson Melody Maker
Vox AC-15
50s Stella Parlor Acoustic

MOAR FIRST ACT
I was there
Hey man! I really liked it. I have to admit I have never heard the song but it was good. The guitars were very smooth and good in mix. The vocals kinda fluctuate in volume a bit, but not bad enough to make it less great. Good job man!!
Quote by dubstar92
A few years a ago, I played with it alot and got my time down to 42 secs. Right now, I'm probably around a 55 sec average.
Dude, this is amazing. Is there a chance I can get a copy of this somehow?
I'd seriously listen to this quite a bit.

Great job.
-Alex
ok, yeah. my name is silly because I signed up when I was 13.

BEDBUGS