NO. It is not by any means okay. You begin alternate picking and nothing but starting now. It won't take that long to feel natural.
just learn to alternate pick, it only takes a weekend to get the basics down
Quote by AA00P
Listen to the man, he's Jewish.
I'd say you're limiting what you can play and how far you progress by only downpicking and because of that you should work on your alternate picking. Having said that if you're happy with your current playing etc. and don't want to work on it then don't - just be aware that alternate picking is a useful skill to have and will make it easier to play some things you may want to play. If it was me I'd learn to alternate pick, even if you find it hard, it'll make playing stuff easier in the end!
Practice SLOW just to get the motions down. In order to build speed AND precision, you've got to start slow.
Quote by SinisterStrieth
I can't. I've been trying to do it for 4 months. I just can't do it.

Oh? I guess you're ****ed then. I suppose I should close this thread seeing as nothing anyone says will help...

Take it slowly. Really. Really. Really. Slowly.

One string, two notes, up...down. Repeat.

Play one note every 10 seconds. If you can't do that then I'm a monkey's uncle.
Yep, just stick at it and be patient. For where you are now, downpicking may be as effective. But you have to ask yourself, will it be as effective for the stuff you want to play in a year, 2 yrs, 5 yrs?