Last week, I purchased an early 1980's vintage ProCo RAT from someone at work. Here it is:

This is a low serial number ProCo "The Rat" and I originally thought it was from 1983 or so:

More than 25 years ago, the original owner disconnected the internal 9-volt input jack, carefully bent it out of the way, and installed in its place a Radio Shack "Battery Eliminator" wall adapter.

He fed the adapter wire through the jack opening, re-soldered it together, and connected it to the 9-volt battery connector. He then used duct tape to seal up all the original parts. Nice work for a 17 or 18 year old to take the time to keep all of the original parts around.

I used small scissors to cut away the crumbly, sticky duct tape to expose the original components. Here the battery clip cover has popped off. I cleaned off the goo with some lighter fluid and re-attached it to the 9-volt connector.

Then it was time to "cut the umbilical cord".

Next, I took the duct tape off the original power jack. Yay! All the original hardware was still there. It was bent up to move it away from the jack opening, so I'd have to bend it back down.

Now I was able to get a good look at the pots. If I'm not mistaken 7-digit number 1378150 on the pots means the following:

137 = CTS
81 = Year
50 = Week

So the pots at least were made during December of 1981. I was a freshman at the University of Colorado at Boulder then.

I removed the 2 input jacks and then carefully coaxed the power jack back into alignment. When everything was lined up correctly, I re-installed all 3 jacks and tightened up the hex nuts.

Here's the exterior of the "restored" RAT.

"In Power Trios I Trust..."
Gibson SG Classic, Fender CP Jaguar Special HH, '65 RI Mustang
'65 Ampeg Gemini I G-12 Combo, Orange Tiny Terror
And here's the graduation photo, with the RAT back on a pedalboard after sleeping in a box for more than 2 decades. Have I said yet that it sounds killer? No? Well, it sounds killer!

Sweet! I really like your board too. Awesome job!

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
Quote by xwearesinking
Sweet! I really like your board too. Awesome job!

Thanks. I still need to make some kind of mounting tray for the RAT. I just can't bring myself to put velcro on this old pedal. So I'm going to build a small wooden tray that will attach to the bottom of the pedal with some rare earth magnets. Then I'll put velcro on the tray.

It should be just as sturdy as any of the other pedals on my board, but if I want to, I can just *pop* off the pedal from the tray.
Quote by kurtlives91
Does the pedal still have it's original LM308? If it does, could you tell me what brand it is?

Nice project!

Yep, everything is original on this pedal, including all the scratches, rust, paint crackling, and the 28-year-old gunk on the power jack from duct tape gone bad.

Here's the only picture from the thread where you can see the LM308 (in the lower right-hand corner), but it's probably not clear enough for you. Maybe this weekend I'll crack open the enclosure and get a close-up photo for you.

Here's version 2.0 of my response to this:

Quote by kurtlives91
Does the pedal still have it's original LM308? If it does, could you tell me what brand it is?

Nice project!

It turns out that the original photo I took actually had the info you wanted, but when I scaled it down to 640x480, I lost all of the resolution. I just had to work in reverse from the original and start scaling things up.

MAN! I had a total out-of-body "Blade Runner" experience while doing this. Anyone who has seen the movie knows the scene I'm talking about when Harrison Ford is zooming in on the photograph of the snake woman. Really bizarre!

I'm 90% sure that the only thing missing from this is the letter "N" at the end of the number "308". I'll bet it's there but is just blocked by that big green component.
Last edited by Armchair Bronco at Mar 28, 2009,
Very nice.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Cool stuff! How different from the newer RAT's is it?

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by hendriko
Cool stuff! How different from the newer RAT's is it?

In all honesty I dunno. It's the only RAT I've owned. I just received a GGG "Rodent" kit. This is a ProCo RAT clone. It doesn't have an LM308N, it uses a different chip, but someone on another site offered to send me a NOS LM308N chip if I pay for shipping.

When I get that pedal built I'll be able to do an A/B comparison and have a better idea. Maybe someone who owns more than 1 RAT can chime in.
^alright, sounds cool!

good luck!

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by fly135
Let's hear it in action.

I'm thinking of making a really short YouTube video comparing the RAT to a stock modern DS-1 through my Tiny Terror, both with and without my Small Clone engaged.

Maybe also use both of my nice guitars, an SG Classic (which sounds killer with the RAT on the bridge pup) and my Jaguar CP Special HH (which sounds great through the neck pup in single coil mode).

But that'll take a little time to pull together.