This has to do with amount of wattage, I barley took up bass about 3 weeks ago, and ive been looking at different set-ups and stuff. I was wondering, why is it that some bass players have over 1000 watts for their basses when guitarist just use about 120 watts? Yeah this may be a stupid question but yeah im curious.
Crank your rig on 12, let it feedback wide-open for a good two minutes, freak your neighbors out and ENJOY THE POWER OF THE GUITAR! 'Oh, what a feeling,' and it ain't no damned Toyota!" ----Dimebag Darrell
because guitar carries much better.

bass has to be 3 times as loud to be heard.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
because guitar carries much better.

bass has to be 3 times as loud to be heard.

ok, that makes sense, thanks
Crank your rig on 12, let it feedback wide-open for a good two minutes, freak your neighbors out and ENJOY THE POWER OF THE GUITAR! 'Oh, what a feeling,' and it ain't no damned Toyota!" ----Dimebag Darrell
The other thing too is. Most big guitar amps are tube, most bass amps are solid state. Tube is inherently much louder than solid state.
I play 225 watts tube and it's plenty loud. I'd need probably at least 5-600 SS watts to get the same volume. It also takes more power to push bass frequencies in the first place.

EDIT: I should note that tube isn't truly louder by decibles. It's how they affect your tone. It just seems louder to the human ear.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu