I have a few songs written, but as far as a band is going, only a drummer and myself. (drummer-girl's brother wanted to be guitar but itsn't very good and won't practice.) I'm not sure if I even have her, as she's not very serious and the last time we've seen eachother is October. Also we're too young to drive, so we have to rely on parents..

So assume I only have me, myself, and a bass.

So how do I put a bassline to my words without anything else?
Last edited by LexxyThirteen at Mar 28, 2009,
double stops, octave up, wall style fuzz effects, all can help.

but, the main thing is seeing the guitars part and filling while you play.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity

but, the main thing is seeing the guitars part and filling while you play.

But I don't have a guitar player... I don't play guitar, and I don't have a guitar part. This is entirely me putting together a song.
Some input for this would be useful to me as well, I can write a few riffs, but they're not very creative, I would like to do better.
Quote by the humanity

Three questions: what what and what?
G&L ASAT Semi-Hollow
Ibanez SR305 DX
Washbrun XB100 (modified)
Ibanez SW35

Fender Telecaster (MIM)
Orange Crush 15R

Danelectro Corned Beef Reverb
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
Go and buy a guitar if you want to write songs or get a keyboard. Link this to programs like tuxguitar that run midi programs or similar.

A song has lyrics which you can do, melody, rhythm and harmony without harmony it could be rap but it's not a song in the conventional sense. With bass you provide the rhythm and you could do a melody though in most songs the bass is part of the harmonic structure.

Almost all pop music is based on chords and you need to understand these to write songs. for this you need keyboard or guitar. Get a guitar, it will improve your bass playing too.

Good luck
Quote by Phil Starr
Go and buy a guitar if you want to write songs or get a keyboard. Link this to programs like tuxguitar that run midi programs or similar.

A song has lyrics which you can do, melody, rhythm and harmony without harmony it could be rap but it's not a song in the conventional sense. With bass you provide the rhythm and you could do a melody though in most songs the bass is part of the harmonic structure.

Almost all pop music is based on chords and you need to understand these to write songs. for this you need keyboard or guitar. Get a guitar, it will improve your bass playing too.

Good luck

Not to be a total ass, but, If I wanted you to say "Get a guitar!" or "With a bass you can't do jack as far as songs." I'd've gone with my instinct.

And yet, you said exactly that on a thread that specified "I DO NOT HAVE A GUITAR AND/OR GUITAR PLAYER."

Quote by LexxyThirteen
So assume I only have me, myself, and a bass.

IF you have words to a song, work out what chords you want to play it in. From that you can begin to build a bassline to fit. Is the song rock? or funk? or whatever. Then you can start to work a melody on it. Make sense?
Quote by Helbent Revenge

Three questions: what what and what?

Double Stops: Used often in tapping, where you play two strings at the same time, ie a power chord is a double stop

Octave Up: Playing past the 12 Fret

Wall Style Fuzz: Use a fuzz pedal to create a wall of sound, ie DFA1979

Quote by LexxyThirteen
But I don't have a guitar player... I don't play guitar, and I don't have a guitar part. This is entirely me putting together a song.

You need to know chord theory to write songs, you don't need a guitar for this but it works best, you can use a keyboard or a piano, bass however dosn't really work so well for that. Even if you don't use a guitar in the song you almost have no choice but to use it when writing.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Mar 28, 2009,
look into some bass heavy bands. rancid comes to mind because matt freeman doesn't just play root notes and he solos too. that would probably be a good start. bassinvaders don't use guitars at all, so for something a bit heavier and more intricate, look into them too. this is just to hopefully give you ideas and some sort of influence
Quote by Heilz
When backstage and talkin to the ladies i always go with the ¨Mines is bigger than theirs¨ argument as me bro holds hes guitar and i take out my bass... It works wonders @,@

Gear list:
Squire Affinity P-Bass
Ashdown Mag300 Evo II
Boss ODB-3
Quote by LexxyThirteen
Not to be a total ass, but, If I wanted you to say "Get a guitar!" or "With a bass you can't do jack as far as songs." I'd've gone with my instinct.

And yet, you said exactly that on a thread that specified "I DO NOT HAVE A GUITAR AND/OR GUITAR PLAYER."

Be that as it may, you will have considerable trouble writing songs on a bass without a good grasp of chordal theory. I would know, I am a bassist/songwriter myself and I can guarantee you that the FOUNDATION of all popular music is the chord structure. In order to understand chord structure better it helps greatly to have an instrument that plays chords, do you see where I'm going here?

No, I'm not saying, "learn guitar, cause bass sucks" at all, but at the end of the day, to write songs effectively it's much easier to write from the ground up. If you have some good riffs on the bass anyway, by all means find ways to use them, but having knowledge of keyboard or guitar is, if not essential, very helpful for songwriting.
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
Just imagine the tune in your head and bass to that.Its not too effective but it gets me where I want to go.

Edit: Also learning a bit of theory and scales and stuff helps you know what your doing.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Last edited by c3powil at Mar 28, 2009,
You're going to want to play a lot higher on the neck than you do with normal bass lines, and like Humanity said, double stops (and power chords) are your friend.

It's actually possible to play a bass line and "rhythm guitar" line at the same time, but it's difficult.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JHqeePBq3I
Nope, no sig here.
Same way you write song with any other instrument. Just go at it.
I'd have to agree and say that double-stops are definitely a great option. You can also play entire chords as long as you have the right EQ or play high enough on the neck that it doesn't sound muddy.
Quote by Yerjam
Could be, but the most important thing to remember is that it wasn't your fault, even if it was.
what I meant was doing your basslines in ways that fill both the guitar part and bass part.

and by octave up, I meant the pedal, it would be greatly useful.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Get power/tux/guitar tab/pro and learn at least from there

if not, really look at Death From Above 1979, I steal some of their stuff sometimes
(I might make a sweet band with my friend that uses a drum pad. The "guitarist" on our floor is lame sometimes and refuses to jam; My fuzz and synth are coming in the mail (NPD? HEHEHEHEH I'm so excited!))

Bass leads for pop music? I'd say two Brand New songs are good for that, Sic Transit Gloria and Not The Sun, they are the main focuses of the songs and the guitars are simply over them (except for choruses, which are guitar/vocal based). I'd say it fits more of a groove type of thing that you can dance to.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Personally I don't think anyone can tell you how to write a song.
I write loads of songs with just a bass, but I couldn't explain to someone why I play what I played y'know?

Just work around the very traditional songwriting techniques;
Intro > Verse > Chorus > Verse > Chorus > Outro
Or variations of the above.

In terms of style, if you are just starting out (Which from looking at your profile, I think you are) try to emulate similar bands, and then form your own sound out of it.

Alternatively you could legally buy yourself (Read: Utorrent) a copy of say... Cubase or Reason and make up drum and lead parts to play around.
Or better yet, if you have a MAC, then garageband is incredibly easy to use, and would be very useful for your situation.