Yeah so...I was shopping around at pawn shops today and found a Stephens Extended Cutaway by Washburn. It's a very pretty guitar, but I've never heard of this specific guitar before. Anyway, I tried it out and it wasn't so hot...(once properly set up it would be SICK!)

So I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this guitar? Its price is 799 and I found it online for 1500...

http://www.gapplegate.com/wne5.html

any input?
haven't heard of them before, that that is mighty fine looking.
Call me Cam
Quote by DirtyMakik
I'm Han Solo, Splamron's Greedo.

Han shot first. Greedo's dead.
yeah it's a very sexy guitar...i'm just curious why it's so much money...the bridge isn't any good...the pickups aren't the greatest...
Quote by dayzofdesire
Yeah so...I was shopping around at pawn shops today and found a Stephens Extended Cutaway by Washburn. It's a very pretty guitar, but I've never heard of this specific guitar before. Anyway, I tried it out and it wasn't so hot...(once properly set up it would be SICK!)

So I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this guitar? Its price is 799 and I found it online for 1500...

http://www.gapplegate.com/wne5.html

any input?

Now I may be wrong here,but that guitar isn't called a SEC,it's a Nuno sig.The stephens extended cutaway refers to the neck joint that features an extended cutaway and a unique bolt system to allow great fret access with almost no heel.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

the bridge isn't good and the pup's aren't the greatest!??!??! WUT!

Schaller FR's are brilliant.

as is the SD 59.

are you fecked in the head?
ah...well i've never heard of or played with before...and it didn't impress me much...though I wasn't able to give it the full inspection I wanted too at the time. So they may be good...

But with only one knob...i'm wondering how much diversity you could get...

Pr0gNut you may be right. All I know is that it said the Stephens Extended cutaway by the tunners so I assumed that was the name because I couldn't find anything else on the guitar, and the ppl at the shop had no idea.
those Nunos are sexy, you need the N4 sticker on it and then ud be in business

EDIT: ^ OMG what kind of ****ty shop doesnt know a Nuno sig when they see it...hes an amzing guitarist and these are good guitars
Last edited by BucketHayden at Mar 28, 2009,
Quote by dayzofdesire
ah...well i've never heard of or played with before...and it didn't impress me much...though I wasn't able to give it the full inspection I wanted too at the time. So they may be good...

But with only one knob...i'm wondering how much diversity you could get...

Pr0gNut you may be right. All I know is that it said the Stephens Extended cutaway by the tunners so I assumed that was the name because I couldn't find anything else on the guitar, and the ppl at the shop had no idea.

It's Nuno Bettencourt's signature model.I believe it's the N4ESA model to be specific.Washburn has a habit of putting features their guitars have on the headstock,like the SEC and buzz feiten tuning system logo.Besides the bridge pup (I'm not a fan of Bill Lawrence pups),it's a pretty nice guitar.The one volume knob kinda suck,but you can always replace that with a concentric pot and have volume and tone on the same pot.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by dayzofdesire
True true...so 799 would probably be a steal for this guitar 'eh?

799?

Well,the model I mentioned usually goes for $1500-$1700,so if it's actually a N4ESA with a schaller trem,L500 bridge pup,and a duncan '59 neck pup then I'd snag it.I'd just replace the bridge pup,wire a concentric pot on it,and set it up properly.

cool cool thanks for the input ^_^ I'll go check it out again tomorrow and see what I can do.
As ProgNut said, if it actually is an N4 (Which is what Nuno himself uses), get it, fast. If you don't like it, just sell it for some profit.
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
haha it's been at this shop for like...6+ months...i wouldn't be surprised if I could get them down to 500...sadly I'm a college student so funds are limited...
Hello,
Day of Desire, you reference my website and the N4 advertised there. I never call it a Stephens Cutaway, but it sounds like you are talking about me. It's a nice guitar and my price is on the very low end for a new one. My feeling is that the N4 is one of the hottest shredding axes out there for the money. I'm not the only one that thinks so. If you can't afford the top-of-the-line model then check out the N2 and some of the other, lower-end Bettencourt models. Or don't. That's up to you.

Anyway, I'm a Washburn dealer and I'm not the pawnshop you talk about (duh). Just thought I'd clarify that. Thanks.

grego e.
Quote by grego e
Hello,
Day of Desire, you reference my website and the N4 advertised there. I never call it a Stephens Cutaway, but it sounds like you are talking about me. It's a nice guitar and my price is on the very low end for a new one. My feeling is that the N4 is one of the hottest shredding axes out there for the money. I'm not the only one that thinks so. If you can't afford the top-of-the-line model then check out the N2 and some of the other, lower-end Bettencourt models. Or don't. That's up to you.

Anyway, I'm a Washburn dealer and I'm not the pawnshop you talk about (duh). Just thought I'd clarify that. Thanks.

grego e.

old thread was old.
Hello,
Stephens' ( STEPHENS' STRINGED INSTRUMENTS : SSI circa 1972- 1996 ) was a Luthier shop here in Seattle, Washington.
Owned by STEVE DAVIES. DAVIES BORN IN KENTUCKY AND RAISED IN EUGENE OREGON, SET UP SHOP IN SEATTLE.

DAVIES MADE GUITARS FOR HOYT AXTON, ROBERT CRAY, KEVIN EUBANKS, STEVIE STEPHENS, ALICE IN CHAINS, KEVIN MC INROE, KENNY BURELL, PAT METHENY, NUNO BENTTENCOURT AND OTHERS.

HE CREATED AND PATTENDED THE HEALESS GUITAR HE LEASED THE PATTENED TOO WASHBURN HENCE THE SIGNATURE SERIES.

STEVE DAVIES MADE HIS OWN LINE OF GUITARS $1,800.00 --$2,700.00. THESE GUITARS READ ON THE HEAD A LOGO THAT READS " STEPHENS"

THESE WERE HAND MADE CUSTOM GUITARS

STEVE DAVIES WAS OFFORD THE HEAD LUTHIER POST OF FENDER CUSTOM SHOP BUT DECLINE DUE TOO HE HAD RAMPED UP PRODUCTION ON THE HAND MADE NUNO GUITAR LINE.

HIS TWO APPRENTICES, RICHARD WEIKUM : RJW GUITARS TUKWILA ,WASHINGTON
206-949-8447
AND JOHN STABBA AT DUSTY STRINGS IN SEATTLE WA. FREEMONT NEIGHBORHOOD

DAVIES STILL HAS A WEB SITE SSI.NET

STEVE DAVIES IS LIVING IN SEATTLE WASHINGTON IN A NEIGHBORHOOD CALLED PHINNY RIGE.