My guitar teacher has taught me all of the Major and Minor scales. He is now moving me to Harmonic Minor scales. I keep hearing stuff about Pentatonic scales. Should I be learning them as well?

And why does everyone on UG talk about the Am Pentatonic scale? why is it so special??
Quote by Argonaut
^ Wrong Kensai.

Quote by Sean-Man
I may be a Narcissist, But im the Best Narcissist
Pentatonic scales are just the major and minor scales, but they are missing two notes.

So for example we have the C Major Scale:

C D E F G A B C
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

If we take C Major Scale and let go of the 4th, and 7th (F and B)
Then we have a 5 note scale (Penta= Greek for five)

So C Pentatonic Major is
C D E G A C
1 2 3 5 6 8

For the Minor Pentatonic Scale, you grab the Melodic Minor Scale and let go of the 2nd, and 6th degree.

For example, the C Minor Scale, which is:
C D Eb F G G# A# C
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

C Pentatonic Minor would be:
C Eb F G A# C
1 3 4 5 7 8

So in short:
If you want a Pentatonic Major Scale, you take the normal Major Scale and let go of the 4th and 7th note of that scale. (counting from your root note)

If you want a Pentatonic Minor, you take the Melodic Minor Scale (which you learned) and let go of the 2nd and the 6th note of that scale.

Got it?
Last edited by Magnum Delta at Mar 28, 2009,
Quote by dxpaintball8000
My guitar teacher has taught me all of the Major and Minor scales. He is now moving me to Harmonic Minor scales. I keep hearing stuff about Pentatonic scales. Should I be learning them as well?

And why does everyone on UG talk about the Am Pentatonic scale? why is it so special??

That's because it is used in a lot of songs. And if you know the A Minor Pentatonic scale, you can move the shapes up and down to get into the other Minor Pentatonic Scales.
Quote by dxpaintball8000

You already know the pentatonics, they're just a simplified 5 note version of the equivalent major or minor scale. The major pentatonic is missing the 4th and 7th, the minor pentatonic is missing the 2nd and 6th.

You also pretty much know the harmonic minor scale, it's just the natural minor scale with a raised 7th. How exactly is he teaching you these scales?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Learn major scale first!

It is where all western theory comes from. If he is moving on before you even know the major scales, tell him you think hes workign too quick and you want an understanding off how they work and how to play with them before you go any further.
Quote by Magnum Delta

C D Eb F G G# A# C
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

C Eb F G A# C
1 3 4 5 7 8

C natural minor is C D Eb F G Ab Bb, C minor pentatonic is C Eb F G Bb. What you wrote down would be enharmonically equivalent, but they're not the proper way to write the scales.

TS: You may know the scales, but two questions:
1. How well can you apply them in terms of an improvisatory context?
2. Do you know them all the way up and down the neck?
Quote by Magnum Delta
Pentatonic scales are just the major and minor scales, but they are missing two notes.

So for example we have the C Major Scale:

C D E F G A B C
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

If we take C Major Scale and let go of the 4th, and 7th (F and B)
Then we have a 5 note scale (Penta= Greek for five)

So C Pentatonic Major is
C D E G A C
1 2 3 5 6 8

For the Minor Pentatonic Scale, you grab the Melodic Minor Scale and let go of the 2nd, and 6th degree.

C D Eb F G G# A# C
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

C Eb F G A# C
1 3 4 5 7 8

So in short:
If you want a Pentatonic Major Scale, you take the normal Major Scale and let go of the 4th and 7th note of that scale. (counting from your root note)

If you want a Pentatonic Minor, you take the Melodic Minor Scale (which you learned) and let go of the 2nd and the 6th note of that scale.

Got it?

Uh. Melodic minor scale has nothing to do with this. If it did, the pentatonic minor scale would have a raised 7. Pentatonic minor scale is built of the natural minor scale, not the melodic minor scale.
And the actual reason it contains those notes is a little bit complex, as it involves the circle of fifths. If you truly care to know, I can explain. But it may hurt more then it helps

The moral of the story is that if you already know major/minor, you dont have any real need to know pentatonics