23 35%
AVERAGE
18 28%
GOOD
12 18%
BAD
4 6%
Voters: 65.
Hi ppl, need some opinions on Mexican Stratocasters i.e. What are they like to play, action, sound, technical stuff compared to the USA model as I have a Maverick F1 Tribal Red, which I got second hand but giving me probs, I like to play blues mainly but play rock too. I want to sell it and get a decent Fender Strat. thanks in advance for opinions. This has been changed to lower case so don't upset people thanks
Last edited by xanadar at Mar 29, 2009,
It varies highly from one guitar to another. The key things to look for are neck alignment (is it straight?), the frets (there should be no gaps between the fretboard and fret wire) and nut (does it overhang on either side?). If you can get all these elements in order on a Mexi, then you are in good shape, buy it!
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
I Think They Are Pretty Good But Shouting Is A Good Way To Strain Your Vocal Cords. I Wouldn't Recommend It, However I Would Recommend The Zen Of Screaming By Melissa Cross - You Can Look Like A Douche While Screaming And Not Hurting Your Vocal Cords.

Seriously Though - 5/10 For Mim Strats - Used Mij Or Mia Are A Better Option In My Opinion.

EDIT: All caps fail
Quote by handlerb
It varies highly from one guitar to another. The key things to look for are neck alignment (is it straight?), the frets (there should be no gaps between the fretboard and fret wire) and nut (does it overhang on either side?). If you can get all these elements in order on a Mexi, then you are in good shape, buy it!

+1

The neck on mine is messed up (warped I think) and so the lowest action it can get without buzzing is what most people would consider high
they are all different.

i suggest you state a budget.

the type of music you like to play.

if used guitars are an option.

and the type of amp you use.

edit: and please don't type in caps.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by xanadar
Hi ppl, need some opinions on Mexican Stratocasters, i.e. what they are like to play, actions, sound, technical stuff compared to usa models, as I have a Maverick F1 tribal red at the mo but giving me loads of problems, now want to sell and get a decent fender strat. Thanks in advance for your opinions on this

Fixed.

Also, they are very good guitars IMO. Very solid, and can be upgraded.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
First of all: Don't type in all caps. It's basically shouting over the internet.
Second: Mexi strats are all in all good guitars but they don't have perfect QC.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
If you buy one from a good guitar shop who give a decent setup it will be fine. I got mine from a good shop and all I do is tune it now and then.
As an owner, I'd just like to say that this question isn't very easily applicable. On one hand, mine has outclassed a few American Fenders. On the other, I've played some MIM's that deserved to be given to Pete Townshend or Ritchie Blackmore at the end of a set, if you know what I mean. The good ones are very nice guitars, but at the same time the crap is hellishly terrible often times, so play before buying.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
DON'T USE ALL CAPS IT MAKES YOU LOOK LIKE A TOOL AND MAKES ME NOT WANT TO READ YOUR POST. Seriously.
1999 Fender '69 Thinline Telecaster Reissue
Ibanez TS-9
Vox AC4TV

Last.fm
Mine is excellent, but they won't all be. also they've changed a lot since 2002 when mine was made.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
they're really good, set up is usually fine but you should try before you buy to be sure,
sound isnt bad either but a pickup change would do wonders
My Gear

Fender Deluxe Players Stratocaster
Marshall DSL 50 with 1960A
Question, if there's no difference in the woods used in a Mexican and American made, is it just the set up and such that's different, like adjustable things that you could change/upgrade yourself to American quality, but save (now) ~$700?

Also:
G&L ASAT Semi-Hollow
Ibanez SR305 DX
Washbrun XB100 (modified)
Ibanez SW35

Fender Telecaster (MIM)
Orange Crush 15R

Danelectro Corned Beef Reverb
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
Quote by WillB13
DON'T . Seriously.

are you fukin kidding me wt this?

like 4 guys told him already.

your post was way more obnoxious and he only did it in his op.

grow up.

offer info in the thread or dont post.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

First things first, ^ Jenny is right. Making that giant text makes you like a bigger ass. Don't forget the two rules of Jenny (1. Jenny is always right. 2. In the case that Jenny is wrong, refer to #1).

Secondly, c'mon OP.

It only requires 7/16th of an inch to not sound like an asshole.

Now back to the point of the topic. People bash Mexican strats because they are made in Mexico. Does the location of where it was made really make such a huge difference. Same types of wood, being constructed to look the same, etc. Hell, I've played Mexican strats that have played much better American strats and I've been disappointed by Fender Custom Shop models from time to time. There's too much variation among all of them, so I'll just write 'good' to balance for all of it. With the name 'Fender', you are guaranteed a certain type of quality.
My Gear:
Guitars:
Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 in Charcoal Burst

Amps:
ENGL Powerball I V2

Pedals:
Ibanez Jemini
Vintage '70s Thomas Organ Crybaby Wah
Boss DD-6
Mexican strats are great in terms of sound, playablity, etc. Upgrade the hardware and you can get the same quality and sound as a MIA. However, mexican strats arent like the best guitar in the world sorta thing as other companies produce strats that are also quite good.
Unless you find one for 300 or less, you can probably get better for money. You'll find a huge selection of quality super-strats from the 80s that, in my opinion, have a higher build quality than the Mexican strats I've played. (Old Charvel and Ibanez guitars come to mind)

Carvin also makes a great strat copy. You should check that out.
Quote by jj1565
are you fukin kidding me wt this?

like 4 guys told him already.

your post was way more obnoxious and he only did it in his op.

grow up.

offer info in the thread or dont post.

Irony?

And just so I don't do the same, it really does just depend on which one you get. The
American has a little better pups and usually better quality, but can occasionally be worse than a mexican. Just try and play it before you buy it.
Guitars
Gibson SG '61 Reissue 'Aretha'
Fender MIM Strat 'Rosy'
Takamine EG 332c 'Betsy'
Epiphone G-400 'Lucy'

Amps
Crate V-18 1x12
Roland Cube 30x

Pedals
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Electro-Harmonix Double Muff
Line 6 Echo Park
Quote by rhcpjhlz
Irony?

i guess, unless i already posted and and waiting for op to post back, so i can offer more info.

edit: i just now read the rest of your post.

come on man. american made standards are superior to mexican made standards.
in 2005-6, they "upgraded" the mex standards, increasing trem block size, adding more shielding, changing pup outputs and fret sizes, but many players feel that quality control degraded enough over the past few years to negate any benefit of getting one anyway.

if you've ever taken apart a MIA and compared it to a MIM, you'd see the differences in the guitars.
wiring, shielding, body grade (tho that's a little iffy), hardware, neck (largest difference, imo), resale, finish, and pups.

everything can be upgraded. and in some cases, for less than MIA sticker price, but off the shelf differences are obvious.

anyway, great post overall.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

Last edited by jj1565 at Mar 29, 2009,
Quote by rhcpjhlz

And just so I don't do the same, it really does just depend on which one you get. The
American has a little better pups and usually better quality, but can occasionally be worse than a mexican. Just try and play it before you buy it.

lol
Quote by jj1565
in 2005-6, they "upgraded" the mex standards, increasing trem block size, adding more shielding, changing pup outputs and fret sizes, but many players feel that quality control degraded enough over the past few years to negate any benefit of getting one anyway.

if you've ever taken apart a MIA and compared it to a MIM, you'd see the differences in the guitars.
wiring, shielding, body grade (tho that's a little iffy), hardware, neck (largest difference, imo), resale, finish, and pups.

everything can be upgraded. and in some cases, for less than MIA sticker price, but off the shelf differences are obvious.

Awesome, that's the exact thing I was looking for. I'll consider getting a MIM over a MIA if I ever get a Fender.
G&L ASAT Semi-Hollow
Ibanez SR305 DX
Washbrun XB100 (modified)
Ibanez SW35

Fender Telecaster (MIM)
Orange Crush 15R

Danelectro Corned Beef Reverb
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
Thanks people for your comments, I am sorry for the upper cased txt I accendetly left caps lock on, had no idea it was like shouting on the net I'm sorry if affended people was not ment to be intentional thanks again for opinions
Quote by jj1565
i guess, unless i already posted and and waiting for op to post back, so i can offer more info.

edit: i just now read the rest of your post.

Quote by bapplebo
I Think They Are Pretty Good But Shouting Is A Good Way To Strain Your Vocal Cords. I Wouldn't Recommend It, However I Would Recommend The Zen Of Screaming By Melissa Cross - You Can Look Like A Douche While Screaming And Not Hurting Your Vocal Cords.

Seriously Though - 5/10 For Mim Strats - Used Mij Or Mia Are A Better Option In My Opinion.

EDIT: All caps fail

get rid of the caps, i couldnt even read your post.
and you HAVE to go try a ton out, they're all very different, so im not voting on the poll because you didnt put a "depends" option.