Hi, I would like to buy a new amp but I do not now which one to get, I would like to get the very best amp possible (within my budge).

Here' some information:

My budget is around 500 dollars, if possible the amp should be under that price.

I've been playing guitar for voer 7 years and I need an amp on which I can play things like Iron Maide, Metallica but also other styles like Hendrix, Chuck Berry, BB King, Nirvana, Led Zeppelin. So basically Rock, Metal and Blues.

I mostly play on 2 guitars: an Epiphone Firebird and an Epiphone Les Paul, I currently own a (chinese )solid state amp (x-Brand 25-R) 25 WATT.

In the future I would like to use the amp for giggs in the near future so it should have around (at least) 50W.

preferably tube.

The only amp that has come to mind so far is the Peavey Valveking.

Any help would be greatly apreciated.

PS: I can send more than 500 dollars but I'd rather not.
Classic 30/Palomino V32 + MXR EQ + A good OD = your genres....
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
I have no idea what the prices are like in Hungary. Can you list some options that are available to you and prices? Maybe we can help from there but I don't want to list a bunch of amps only for you to say, "that's $1000 here" like to poor souls in AU.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
hunt down a used JCM900 combo.
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
Quote by gregs1020
I have no idea what the prices are like in Hungary. Can you list some options that are available to you and prices? Maybe we can help from there but I don't want to list a bunch of amps only for you to say, "that's $1000 here" like to poor souls in AU.

the Peavey Valveking 112 50W is 545 US. dollars here.
^ What are your used options? Do you have any local shops that may have some used stuff?

The VK is a good entry level tube amp. Like most entry level amps, upgrading the speaker later when you can afford to do so makes a nice improvement. It does what you play well, it's pretty versatile overall. (Add an OD pedal for modern metal tones). Check the VK thread for a number of things you can do to a stock VK to improve it's tone out of the box for cheap.

Some will say - "continue to save - get something better" but only you know what you can wait for and what you can't. At any point, save for better, can be a good argument. Some UGers flame this amp pretty hard.

I would say spend a decent amount of time with the VK, bring your guitar(s) so you know what tone you would have if you went that way. I suspect it would be a good improvement compared to your present amp - no offense intended.

Another amp that sells for roughly the same amount in the US is the B-52 AT112. If that is available to you in Hungary - check it out. I think a stock B-52 is a bit nicer than the VK but it may not be available near you. Also a Crate V33 or V50 if you can, but they appreciate a speaker swap just like the VK. It's really a matter of personal preference between the VK and Crate V series.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Mar 29, 2009,
Quote by gregs1020
^ What are your used options? Do you have any local shops that may have some used stuff?

The VK is a good entry level tube amp. Like most entry level amps, upgrading the speaker later when you can afford to do so makes a nice improvement. It does what you play well, it's pretty versatile overall. (Add an OD pedal for modern metal tones). Check the VK thread for a number of things you can do to a stock VK to improve it's tone out of the box for cheap.

Some will say - "continue to save - get something better" but only you know what you can wait for and what you can't. At any point, save for better, can be a good argument. Some UGers flame this amp pretty hard.

I would say spend a decent amount of time with the VK, bring your guitar(s) so you know what tone you would have if you went that way. I suspect it would be a good improvement compared to your present amp - no offense intended.

Another amp that sells for roughly the same amount in the US is the B-52 AT112. If that is available to you in Hungary - check it out. I think a stock B-52 is a bit nicer than the VK but it may not be available near you. Also a Crate V33 or V50 if you can, but they appreciate a speaker swap just like the VK. It's really a matter of personal preference between the VK and Crate V series.

thanks for the help, almost everything is available here, I prefer to buy new, I guess I'll wait until I have 500 dollars and I'll check out the suggestions you made and I'll go amp hunting.

thanks again for the help.
Quote by thedefrockednun
thanks for the help, almost everything is available here, I prefer to buy new, I guess I'll wait until I have 500 dollars and I'll check out the suggestions you made and I'll go amp hunting.

thanks again for the help.

Not sure what the used market is like in Hungary, but here, you are looking at about half-price or better for used. A used tube amp is a pretty safe thing to buy, as if it works when you test it out and buy it, it will very likely have no issues down the road, other than the tubes, which are pretty cheap and need to be replaced every year or so anyhow.

I think used is really the way to go, especially for tube amps. they are pretty robust and can be fixed pretty easily and cheaply if they do go bad.