I'm saving for a car, an amp and with the house renovations going on we might be getting a teeny, tiny miniature portable house added on to be a music room (there going cheap, I'll probably pay a few hundred for it and my parents will pay the rest.

You see, I'm going to need a bit of money for the more important things I'm going to be throwing money at...

Fucking money...

Now... I could buy a Valveking ($1000) now or a Peavey classic 50 ($2000) later. The compromise is the Peavey Classic 30 ($1400)

Really what I want to know is

A) Is the valve king really as bad as people claim it is?

B) Is the classic 30 loud enough to be heard over a band? Don't just say "d00d its toobz 30 wat t00bz iz loud!!!111" I've heard that lots and I'm not sure how true it is. Power is power. 30 watts solid state isn't any different to 30 watts tube and really, the wattage is no indication of volume.
Last edited by Final !mpact at Mar 28, 2009,
actually tubes need alot less power i have a solid state w/ 8 in speaker thats 15 watts and a fender tube w/ 5 watts and has a 8 inch speakers that will go really loud
A) no comment

B) Hell yeah, it easily drowns out my drummer if I crank it. If you can't be heard in a band with it something is broken.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

-George Carlin
30 watts tube could very easily get over a drummer. save up and buy the amp you really want though.
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
a) it suits some people but obviously as its a cheap tube amp it will have its problems

b)if this is the amp you want save for it. i wanted to save up for a decent all tube halfstack
couldnt be bothered to save any long and now im left with a line 6
put it like this
save up for the amp you wantdont sacrifice tone for convenience
but if you really cant save and you need an am you would not be buying a bad amp
The C30 is a far better amp than the VK. It is much more versatile and has much better voicing. It will definitely be loud enough for just about anything too. You can mic it for gigs and have plenty of headroom. You won't be able to crank it in your house.

Of course, another option is a used C50.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Quote by Kroaton
Save your cash and stay away from Peavey.

STFU!!!

im guessing you only tried the Valveking and the low end ss Peavey amps????
Have you tried an XXX, JSX,6505,6505+,Classic 30/50????
they are durable and good sounding amps my friend.

@TS
A. you can make it better but you need to do some modifications to it (Total cost = $1550ish)
B. 30w of tube power is LOUDER than 30Wof SS power.........................LOUDER!!!!!

what genres do you play exactly??
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
STFU!!!

im guessing you only tried the Valveking and the low end ss Peavey amps????
Have you tried an XXX, JSX,6505,6505+,Classic 30/50????
they are durable and good sounding amps my friend.

@TS
A. you can make it better but you need to do some modifications to it (Total cost = $1550ish)
B. 30w of tube power is LOUDER than 30Wof SS power.........................LOUDER!!!!!

what genres do you play exactly??

A: No mods. I want to buy a decent amp, not a **** one that I have to do up.
B: Power is power. Lets just say that tube is usually louder than SS.

I play a lot of everything. I need good cleans, A British voiced crunch and a bit of metal. (I'll get a pedal for the heavy stuff)
^ well save up for the Classic 30 and buy an OD and an EQ to get it to metal, it can do Thrash only i think.
what Metal are you talking about???? Black,Metalcore,thrash ??
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
^ well save up for the Classic 30 and buy an OD and an EQ to get it to metal, it can do Thrash only i think.
what Metal are you talking about???? Black,Metalcore,thrash ??

Thick and heavy modern and death metal tones. Yes I know this amp is not made for this kind of music but I decided on the C30 because it caters to two thirds of my needs and pedals can emulate the metal tones.

EDIT: I'm curious about the speaker combos. As far as I know the 30 only comes with a 1x12(i think). Can you get it in 2x12?
Last edited by Final !mpact at Mar 28, 2009,
^What about a Bugera 333XL ????
its a peavey JSX clone.
just let a tech look at it after you buy it.
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
^What about a Bugera 333XL ????
its a peavey JSX clone.
just let a tech look at it after you buy it.

I've heard to many horror stories about Bugera amps. Peavey C30 + pedals will cut it for me as far as metal tones go.
^bugers sounds good but can crap out on you if you didnt took it to a tech.
but Peavey classic 30 + pedals will sound good for metal butim guessing it will sound like poop for teh br00tlzzz.

if you can afford a new Classic 30 why not look for a used Peavey XXX????
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
^bugers sounds good but can crap out on you if you didnt took it to a tech.
but Peavey classic 30 + pedals will sound good for metal butim guessing it will sound like poop for teh br00tlzzz.

if you can afford a new Classic 30 why not look for a used Peavey XXX????

Buying used classic 30, man.
^ohhhh then it will be fine for all of them but im not so sure about Death metal.....
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
^ohhhh then it will be fine for all of them but im not so sure about Death metal.....

Didn't think so. I'm sure I could get a good metal tone with pedals. Good enough for practising alone anyway. I have no interest in joining a metal band anyway so its not big deal.
^then it will be fine.
feel free to add me
first, the valveking is ok, but it seems as if youve been steered away from that already. you said you dont want to mod it, so id say just cross that off the list. so we head to the peavey classics.

ok, well you wanted to know if the classic 30 comes in a 2x12. the answer is no, but you can buy a head version. there is a matching 2x12 (which i think is ugly as hell) or you can pair it with any 2x12 with the propper wattage and impedance. going to be a bit more expensive, but if you want two speakers you can do it with the C30.

and yes, the classic 30 is loud enough to be heard over a band. i never had to turn mine past 4 when i was playing to smaller crowds, and thats only 1/3 of the way up (true it doesnt get linearly louder, but still). which brings me to the point that while yes power is power, it isnt an indicator of volume because tubes produced sound in a different way. tubes put more power into producing audible and complementary harmonics, while transistors are more even in their power distribution. which is why tubes sound louder with the same ammount of power.

anyway, i feel that the classics are going to be the better amps here, and the main reason for the classic 50 is if you need the clean headroom. both have very similar voicings and everything, so if you are going to be playing larger gigs un-miced and need a very clean sound then the classic 50 might be the way to go. if you arent going to be playing anything other than crowds of a couple hundred people, the classic 30 might be a better option.