I've recently been asked to join a local indie band and I desperately need a more powerful amp.

The lead guitarist uses a 100w Marshall DFX
The rhythm guitarist uses a 50w Vox tube

Can anybody suggest some bass amps to help compete with the above? Im looking for a trebley tone, e.g. The Jam - Down in the Tube Station at Midnight.
Quote by Go Square Go!
I've recently been asked to join a local indie band and I desperately need a more powerful amp.

The lead guitarist uses a 100w Marshall DFX
The rhythm guitarist uses a 50w Vox tube

Can anybody suggest some bass amps to help compete with the above? Im looking for a trebley tone, e.g. The Jam - Down in the Tube Station at Midnight.

unucky dude
Fender Jaguar 1994
Gibson Thunderbird

Fender Hot Rod Devile 4x12

Zvex Fuzz Factory
EHX Big Muff
Zvex Box of Rock
Joyo Tremolo
Digitech Whammy
EHX Cathedral
Boss DD3
Boss TU3
Quote by GangsterLi
unucky dude

I was about to start a debate about musical tastes, but then I realised you're 15.
Hartkes can be eq'd quite trebley and the aluminium speaker cones also add the brightness
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by GangsterLi
unucky dude

be quiet.

Do you have a budget?
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by GangsterLi
unucky dude

Leave and never come back.

Anyway, if you want the Jam tone, you should probably be looking at something with smaller speakers, rather than a 115 half stack/combo to bring out the punch. It also helps to have a rickenbacker and a plectrum, but I understand that's not necessarily possible.

Also, to actually "compete" with those amps you'll need around 300-400 watts at least (it's unfair, I know), but realistically, you could probably get away with slightly less if you get them to turn down. Depending on your price range, I would be looking at Hartke, Ashdown, Warwick and Nemesis half stacks or perhaps a 212 combo if you can find a cheap one.
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
Anything 2x10 would probably do you. or even a single 12.

Ide look at Hartke & Ashdown to start with, see if they do anything you like.

Dont get a Behringer
The Official "Rockin' Roadie"

-Lakland Skyline 44-02
-Fender Marcus Miller Jazz
-Fender MiM Precision
-Fender TC90 Thinline
-Squier Stratocaster w/mods (1989)
-Orange Dual Terror
-Marshall Valvestate 8280
-Marshall VS412
-Various pedals
Quote by wouldyakindly

Anyway, if you want the Jam tone, you should probably be looking at something with smaller speakers, rather than a 115 half stack/combo to bring out the punch. It also helps to have a rickenbacker and a plectrum, but I understand that's not necessarily possible.

Also, to actually "compete" with those amps you'll need around 300-400 watts at least (it's unfair, I know), but realistically, you could probably get away with slightly less if you get them to turn down. Depending on your price range, I would be looking at Hartke, Ashdown, Warwick and Nemesis half stacks or perhaps a 212 combo if you can find a cheap one.

300-400 is overly much. 180watts is enough for most small to medium sized gigs, an ashdown eb15-180 (90watts without cab extention) is loud enough to keep up with two 100watts bugeras. chances are his guitarist will not be playing full volume with their amps. and if the venue is big enough for them to play at full volume, there would be a powerful enough PA to go through.
Quote by jb_reborn
300-400 is overly much. 180watts is enough for most small to medium sized gigs, an ashdown eb15-180 (90watts without cab extention) is loud enough to keep up with two 100watts bugeras. chances are his guitarist will not be playing full volume with their amps. and if the venue is big enough for them to play at full volume, there would be a powerful enough PA to go through.

I used the word compete, since that's roughly how many watts you'll need to have roughly the same level of loudness at the same volume level as a 50 Watt tube amp.

That said, you're right that you definately don't need that much if your guitarist is willing to turn down, but more watts will always give you more headroom and generally sounds better at low volumes anyway. Anyway, my point is, if you have the money, it's better to buy something too loud than too quiet for obvious reasons.
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
You are getting good advice. Loudness depends upon enough different things to make it impossible to give categoric advice.

Roughly speaking you need about twice the power for bass compared with guitar, but this does depend upon the efficiency of your speakers. The sound you are going for will cut through the bands soud quite well so that reduces the problems a little.

The important thing is not to compete with other band members. If you have any sense you realise that you work together to make an overall sound.

No-one wins the volume wars.

Have a look at a guide to PA in the columns which I hope will help you get a balanced sound.
get a bassman 135 all tube lots of treble bout $400 and if you run it through a modren 8ohm cab
prob a 4x10...i like accoustic cabs about you get 270 watts b/c the 135 is rated on a 4 ohm cab
Dont be a sucker, what you nedd is 4 Svt-4's, driving 4 8x10's, and then two Cl's driving 2 2x15's. Its the only way baby the on;ly way.

On another note, 200 watts+ is ideal, preferably 300 with a 2x10 and a 1x15. Trebly hmm, im Going to say Hartke, and there new hydrive 4x10, and then a real 15, maybe a hartke Vx 1x15. Whats your budget though.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by due 07
Doesn't Vox only make up to 30w all tube? And is the Marshall DFX SS?

No(I think). Yes.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
What kind of 'indie' tone do you want, that tube sound or that mellow sound?

That is the key, I'm sure.
Lord Gold feeds from your orifices and he wants to see you sweat.
Lord Gold probes you publicly and makes your pussy wet.
Now say his name.....
Quote by wouldyakindly

That is a bit harsh.
Quote by fatgoogle
Don't be a sucker, what you need is 4 Svt-4's, driving 4 8x10's, and then two Cl's driving 2 2x15's. Its the only way baby the only way.

Do this, and you will win the volume war. However, you will have no band, no money, and probably a huge electric bill.
I have:
Acoustic B200H+B115 cab, Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, Rondo Fretless, Boss EQ-7.

Some men just want to watch the world burn. And they work at Behringer.
Quote by due 07
Doesn't Vox only make up to 30w all tube? And is the Marshall DFX SS?

no, the AC-50.

50watts.
I play bass!
Quote by backupbass1
no, the AC-50.

50watts.

Holy crap. I thought they onl made the AC30 and AC15. The AC30 is unnecesarily loud Ithought . Well it wouldn't be hard to keep up w/ the Marshall, but the Vox is a pan in the ***!
well, i get by perfectly on my ampeg 100w with a guitarist using a 15, so 15x5 probably equals 100 or some crap, but i only go half power on my ampeg so thats 50, so 50x5 is 250, so im gunna guess thats terrible math.....but they have tube amps...so 250w? lol idk.
Try adding more delay.