atm my little practice amp cant do any overdriven sound. so im looking for a subtle bit of overdrive. i just need that little tiny bit.

i play most styles. but i really want it for Hendrix, SRV, Satch. and just a general sound change from my ultra harsh distortion that comes on the amp.
SATCH FTW!!!
NSW Group FTW!

There's nothing incredibly interesting here.
As much as you don't wanna hear it, a new amp will get you better clean, overdriven and distorted tones better than any pedal ever could. However if you are REALLY stuck on staying with that amp, buy a Fulltone OCD.
My Setup
Epiphone SG
Ibanez RG2EX1

Line 6 Vetta
Peavey Vypyr 15 for teh lulz

Check my clips out

Click foar epic clipz
i cant get a new amp anytime soon, but i think i have at least 60$AUD to spend. nah my amp just needs tweaking, it can do clean, it can distort. but it just cant do overdrive.
SATCH FTW!!!
NSW Group FTW!

There's nothing incredibly interesting here.
tubescreamers are cheap and descent
Main Rigs
Guitars
Thineline tele with SD lil '59

Ibanez Artcore AM-73

Line 6 Variax 500

Effects

Line 6 X3 live
Digitech RP-500
Ibanez Weeping Demon

Amps
Roland JC-120
Rocktron VT-60
Line 6 spider II + OD = not gonna do much good.

OD's will shine if it it is put into tube amps (it DRIVES the tubes harder), but im not saying it doesnt do anything to SS amps. IT distorts the amp but it wont sound good
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB
Line 6 spider II + OD = not gonna do much good.

OD's will shine if it it is put into tube amps (it DRIVES the tubes harder), but im not saying it doesnt do anything to SS amps. IT distorts the amp but it wont sound good

It doesn't distort the amp unless the level on the pedal is well above unity gain. The amp will still have to be quite close to break up, it's really not going to happen at a bedroom volume. An ovedrive pedal is no different than a distortion pedal, it's just the type of clipping that makes the difference.

TS look into the Danelectro Cool Cat series if you're on a tight budget, perhaps the Cool Cat Drive (OCD clone) or the Cool Cat Distortion (based on the Marshall Guv'nor). They're decent pedals, not as bad as the cheap plastic ones they have put out over the years.
Quote by WTF!!is a TAB

Ummm...no.

To expand on what 'Whole Lotta Led' said: Anything that boosts the signal "drives the tubes harder" in a sense, and an OD is certainly capable of it but it's not a given. Most OD's clip the signal in a way that is supposed to emulate the sound of a preamp tube clipping. That's it, it only "drives" anything if you push the level past unity gain and a good many people don't. Most good clean boosts can drive the front end of an amp more than most OD's can. Most OD's weren't designed to drive an amp so much as they were designed simply to distort the signal.

EDIT: I'd just really like to stop seeing this myth resurface every few days. It's an honest mistake and it's been perpetuated by TONS of misinformed people. Now you know the truth and can spread it instead.
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Last edited by Kendall at Mar 28, 2009,
Quote by Kendall
Ummm...no.

To expand on what 'Whole Lotta Led' said: Anything that boosts the signal "drives the tubes harder" in a sense, and an OD is certainly capable of it but it's not a given. Most OD's clip the signal in a way that is supposed to emulate the sound of a preamp tube clipping. That's it, it only "drives" anything if you push the level past unity gain and a good many people don't. Most good clean boosts can drive the front end of an amp more than most OD's can. Most OD's weren't designed to drive an amp so much as they were designed simply to distort the signal.

EDIT: I'd just really like to stop seeing this myth resurface every few days. It's an honest mistake and it's been perpetuated by TONS of misinformed people. Now you know the truth and can spread it instead.

This is a great point. Turning the level up too loud on a pedal plugged into a SS preamped amplifier can make for a really harsh sound, but if you turn the gain/dist up on the pedal and keep the level moderate it can sound great. Well, great for a SS preamped amplifier.