I've been thinking about starting to learn how to play the guitar for a while now and decided that i'm just gonna get a guitar and see how it goes.

Now I've been looking for a cheap starter set the last couple of days and I found this
starter set:

http://www.degitaarman.nl/epages/17149419.sf/nl_NL/?ObjectPath=/Shops/17149419/Products/GP-105-BK

Wich has this guitar in it:

http://www.degitaarman.nl/epages/17149419.sf/nl_NL/?ObjectPath=/Shops/17149419/Products/VE-15

Now I didn't want to use links for the shop because it looks like I'm advertising the site but the thing is I can't find this guitar anywhere. I can't find reviews or other places that sell it. As far as I know the guitar is called VE-15.

My question to you guys is, is it worth getting this set for 119 euro's?
If you are dedicated you will end up throwing that out in a month. Spend $200 on an amp and $200 on a guitar instead of wasting money on a starter kit.
My Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Peavey Vypyr 30
DW Collector's 3 pc drums
Mapex Black panther snare
Sabian AAX/Zildjian K cymbals.
That's the thing. I'm not sure if I'm going to be dedicated but like you said, if I am going to be dedicated it's a waste of money. And I'm short on money so my parents are also paying and they aren't too fond of spending too much money.
Last edited by Crudelis at Mar 28, 2009,
Seriously, get a Yamaha Pacifica 112 and a Peavey Vypyr 30 or Roland Cube 30.

Also, once you get through about the first month playing is very fun-you'll like it fine.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened

Also, once you get through about the first month playing is very fun-you'll like it fine.

ouch, that one is a bit expensive for a beginner isn't it?
Get a Gibson Les paul and a VOX AC30 and then you can complain it is too expencive.

Seriously, what does a $50 guitar and being a beginner have to do with anything. go ahead and spend 200 euros on the guitar and amp but that is 200 wasted even though you said you dont want to spend lots.
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
The 112? Nah, not really. It's a good investment too, it's made of decent wood and is worth being modified at a later date.
I suggested those amps because they are more than loud enough to jam with people (so you don't need to replace it with a more expensive higher wattage amp), and sound good enough so you won't want to replace it in the first six months.
I started on a Squier pack. Most of the stuff was absolute JUNK. Cheap as you could get it. Strap didn't work, amp was a piece (never ever get a Fender Frontman), guitar was alright. headphones were junk, as was the cable. I wish I had bought everything separately. It is a much better value, in general.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Yamaha as advised or a starter Cort and I'd say a Roland Cube 15x for home. So you'd be spending nearly 300 euro but if you should decide not to keep at it, those will be worth decent money whereas a cheap kit is a real throw out. No-one would want it at a price worth more than firewood. They can get a new one for <120 euro so why buy used? (actually I've seen similar kits for 79 euro)
Another consideration in favour of a bit of quality is that you won't outgrow it in a few months. I mean a decent guitar will allow you to enjoy learning and progress way beyond what you could do on a cheapie.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by random_B-RAD
Seriously, what does a $50 guitar and being a beginner have to do with anything. go ahead and spend 200 euros on the guitar and amp but that is 200 wasted even though you said you dont want to spend lots.

Yea, I know what you mean. I'm probably just gonna save a couple of months and get something worth while. Thanks for the help guys.
Seriously, take my suggestions. That is more than worth getting. I have the Vypyr 75 and my friend has the 30, they are loud as hell and very versatile.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by oneblackened

What's the difference between a Yamaha Pacifica 012 and 112?
The body wood, mainly. The 112 is alder, the 012 is agathis. Alder is better most of the time.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
112 is a bigger number then 012. In other words the 012 is shit and the 112 is good.
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Quote by random_B-RAD
112 is a bigger number then 012. In other words the 012 is shit and the 112 is good.

...what?
**** is a department store strat copy. good is a Schecter C-1 Classic (IMO, of course).

It's true though, 112>012.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Alright a Yamaha Pacifica 112 with a Roland Cube it is then.
Thanks for all the help guys
No problem!
Which cube are you getting? I'd get the 30 or the microcube, preferably the 30.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by oneblackened
No problem!
Which cube are you getting? I'd get the 30 or the microcube, preferably the 30.

Well I was thinking about getting the 15 since i'm going to use it in a small room. I'm not sure tough since I don't know what the difference in volume is exactly.
I had a 10 watt practice amp and I use to put it to about 6 or 7 for bedroom practice. With the 30 watt one I have now I turn it to about 1.3
My Gear:
Peavey Vypyr 30
get the 30, the 15 has very little versatility compared to the 30.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by jking948
this is the guitar you need...

http://www.amazon.com/Washburn-Hannah-Montana-Electric-Guitar/dp/B000WZL7RS

It is the best of both worlds

*reported*
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Last edited by oneblackened at Mar 28, 2009,
Quote by oneblackened
**** off, tool. This is the kind of thing that gives UG a bad rap.

Geez... I wasn't being serious, sorry that I offended you... Well, if you are set on getting a starter set... Then I would go with this
http://www.amazon.com/Epiphone-Special-Player-Vintage-Sunburst/dp/B0002F6ITU
It will keep you set and motivated to play, and it can handle a lot of sounds.
My Gear
PRS SE Custom
Fender Standard Customized Fat Strat
Baby Taylor Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 212
Boss SOD-1
Boss DD-3
Dunlop Crybaby
Peavey Channel Selector
Fender 25R practice amp
Whenever anyone does that, I just get annoyed. It's really not funny.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
If you are looking for a cheap way to get into playing the guitar the starter sets are OK. At the cheaper end of the market spending a bit more money gets you a lot better guitar and amp. Find a good guitar shop with a good reputation and they should do you a deal on a Roland Microcube amp and a guitar to start playing on. Anything louder than a Microcube is not much use for home practice unless you live in the middle of nowhere with no neighbours.

If you get into playing the guitar the Microcube will still be fine and you can then just buy a better guitar once you have saved some money. If you don't like playing the guitar the Microcube will be easy to sell for a reasonable price.
Yamaha Pacifica $200
Roland Microcube $200
Cable,Case,Stand,Tuner,Strap, and picks $100
$500
That's remarkably similar to my first set up. The Pacifica is solid for a first instrument. I had a strat style one and a fender 15w frontman. A lot of people would suggest you get an acoustic first because it helps with the initial technique of being cleaner and it's less expensive to get into. You can get 100$ Yamaha acoustics and they're pretty decent. You can hang onto those and use them around the campfire once you've upgraded. Just my 2 cents.
If I wasn't me, who else would I be?

Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded (02)
G&L Legacy Special
Peavey Special 212
Martin DXR1
Quote by SuperFlyinMonke
A lot of people would suggest you get an acoustic first because it helps with the initial technique of being cleaner and it's less expensive to get into.

I've tought about that myself but I'm not really into the sound an acoustic guitar makes.

Btw a Roland Microcube and a Rolan 15 watt cost exatly the same but whats the difference?
the microcube has modeling of popular amps, it can be powered by batteries; the 15w has very little in the way of modeling and is wall socket only. I still say get the 30.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden