ok so..
I got a chance to crank my 5150 up to about 4-5 today while the parents were gone.
I was playing for about 10-15 minutes and everything was fine, untill about 20 mins.
There was like a 50% volume decrease and I didn't touch anything on the amp.
I am going on tour with my band in June and I cant have this problem.. HELP PLEASE!

I just retubed it yesterday with JJ 6l6's and ECC83's (I had volume loss even before this
Im playing just a block letter 5150 through a JCM 900 1960 Lead cab.
The Rig:
Bugera 6260
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

The Pedalboard:
ISP Decimator
Korg Pitchback Tuner
MXR 10-Band EQ
Maxon OD808
could be a bad cable or your pickup height
PSN USERNAME: MetuulGuitarist7
STEAM:MetuulGuitarist7
Origin:MetuulGuitarist7
feel free to add me
I'm using a monster cable for the head to cab. It's my friends and it is what he's always used for his valveking stack. I'm not 100% sure if it is meant for head to cab though.

And what do you mean about pickup height?

Thanks
The Rig:
Bugera 6260
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

The Pedalboard:
ISP Decimator
Korg Pitchback Tuner
MXR 10-Band EQ
Maxon OD808
If you aren't 100% sure, you shouldn't be using it. You may have fried the amp.

It sounds to me like it was either a cable, or a tube going bad.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by Th3_Failsafe
I'm using a monster cable for the head to cab. It's my friends and it is what he's always used for his valveking stack. I'm not 100% sure if it is meant for head to cab though.

And what do you mean about pickup height?

Thanks

If you're not 100% sure it's a speaker cable and not an instrument cable,
dont use it
it'll fail,then you'll be ****ed

Edit: stratman beat me
Quote by guitardude34875
be the music, not the scene
you pickups wight have been too low.
and turn off the amp IMMEDIATELY!!!!
if its not a SPEAKER cable then it might damage your amp and cab...........BADLY.
feel free to add me
Oh my godd....
so i just read the monster cable and on the cord it says "High performance instrument cable"
i'm so dumb.. so how do i know if i did any harm to the amp or cab?
I mean my freind who lent it to me has been using it with his valveking forever
So i just assumed he knew what he was doing and it was a speaker cable.

The exact words on the monster cable:

Prolink Monster Standard 100 *improved performance instrument cable*
The Rig:
Bugera 6260
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

The Pedalboard:
ISP Decimator
Korg Pitchback Tuner
MXR 10-Band EQ
Maxon OD808
Last edited by Th3_Failsafe at Mar 28, 2009,
so is this for sure why im having the volume changing issues?
The Rig:
Bugera 6260
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

The Pedalboard:
ISP Decimator
Korg Pitchback Tuner
MXR 10-Band EQ
Maxon OD808
^take it to a tech. you might have fried it....
feel free to add me
Damnn.
Well before i unplugged the 'instrument cable' it was sounding perfect so mabye i was lucky and didn't manage to fry it..? mabye?
The Rig:
Bugera 6260
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

The Pedalboard:
ISP Decimator
Korg Pitchback Tuner
MXR 10-Band EQ
Maxon OD808
before you panic, try plugging a patch cable from the FX send to the FX return. If the volume comes back, it's a dirty switching jack on the fx loop. It's a notorious problem with the 5150 and any amps that use switching jacks on the fx loop. If it's just a dirty jack, you can spray some contact cleaner on a 1/4" cable end, and insert it a few times into the fx loop jacks. I've seen the same thing on my 5150 and ENGL.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Don't sweat too much about the speaker cable. You really need to get one, but if it had failed, it would have failed catastrophically (like, fire catastrophic).
Quote by imicius
Don't sweat too much about the speaker cable. You really need to get one, but if it had failed, it would have failed catastrophically (like, fire catastrophic).

This.

It sounds to me like a fouled tube, but if you changed them, then
Ibanez SZ320
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960B
Dunlop Wah
Dano EQ
yeah, get a speaker cable, that's important. Check that fx loop though, it's a common problem with these amps, and it's an easy fix.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
before you panic, try plugging a patch cable from the FX send to the FX return. If the volume comes back, it's a dirty switching jack on the fx loop. It's a notorious problem with the 5150 and any amps that use switching jacks on the fx loop. If it's just a dirty jack, you can spray some contact cleaner on a 1/4" cable end, and insert it a few times into the fx loop jacks. I've seen the same thing on my 5150 and ENGL.

thank you for the detailed response. but i dont see how this could really do anything.
what do you mean by 'if the volume comes back'
i didnt literally LOSE any volume, it just goes quite for a minute or so then gets louder again. im realy confused. :S
The Rig:
Bugera 6260
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

The Pedalboard:
ISP Decimator
Korg Pitchback Tuner
MXR 10-Band EQ
Maxon OD808
Quote by Th3_Failsafe

There was like a 50% volume decrease and I didn't touch anything on the amp.

Quote by Th3_Failsafe
i didnt literally LOSE any volume

I think you need to explain yourself a little more clearly. Maybe provide a sound clip of the volume fluctuating?

Gear:
Agile AL-2000 > Maxon OD808 > Boss DD-20 > Strymon blueSky > Splawn Pro Stock > Emperor 4x12

the lives to come

well i cant get a clip unless i put the instrument cable back in then that would be retarted..
its just like.. when i was playing i had the volume at like 4. then all of a sudden the volume dropped to what sounded like about 1.5-2. then about 2 minutes later it went back up to 4, where i have it set. then it would repeat. and so on.

i havent played it since because i am away for break and ill buy a speaker cable here.
The Rig:
Bugera 6260
Mesa Rectifier 4x12

The Pedalboard:
ISP Decimator
Korg Pitchback Tuner
MXR 10-Band EQ
Maxon OD808
Don't freak out until you try a new speaker cable.
You may have just melted or shorted out the instrument cable you were using.