I found a Fender Champ selling for 750$. Here's the link but it's in French: http://montreal.en.craigslist.ca/msg/1085055544.html

I'll try to translate it...
Fender Champ 1966
It was checked out and fixed and all by an amp tech
Tubes "new old stock" 6V6 RCA, 12AX7 Telefunken
Copper Cap WEBER rectifier in the amp, and the original rectifier is included
WEBER 8A150 speaker in the amp, and the original speaker is included

So all of this for 750$. Good deal?

OR there's also this, a Victoria Champ for 900$: http://montreal.en.craigslist.ca/msg/1065243811.html

Also, this would be my first time buying an amp from craigslist, and I'm kinda paranoid... Where should we meet if I were to buy it? I'd also like to try the amp out before buying it, is there any way to do that?
If the most sought after things are often the most simple, then:

6 shoelaces of varying sizes tied onto a branch
+ 1 Quarter (pick)
----------------------------
= ULTIMATE TONE
Last edited by MCRibz at Mar 28, 2009,
I'd say that's a pretty good deal. My french is a little rusty but it's 45 years old, new tubes and caps and was just checked out by the best tech in Montreal (according to him, not me...) I would contact him and see about a time to check it out in person before you purchase it. Just my 2 cents though.
Would the extra 150$ be worth it for the Victoria Champ?

+ 1 Quarter (pick)
= ULTIMATE TONE
I've met people in public places that have an elec outlet to plug into. A train station, a convenient store etc. (I've done both). For Canada that may be a good deal. It seems a bit steep to me but with the upgrades, condition etc you have to consider the market by you. Try it thoroughly, make sure all three dials work and aren't "scratchy" even though that's a pretty easy fix. Make sure you like it. If it's worth it to you, it's worth it.

I will say that those are great amps. A lot of the music we consider old school classic rock was recorded on an old champ. "Layla" I believe was recorded on such an amp.
Seeing the Champ is an old amp (45 yrs old), will it last a good amount of time? How long? Is it going to crap out on me?

+ 1 Quarter (pick)
= ULTIMATE TONE
It's lasted this long. I have more faith in older gear lasting longer than the new stuff that's put out.

He replaced the caps, and like gregs said, check the pots. You might need to replace the tubes at some point, but those old ones seem to last forever.

Actually, darkarbiter7 is selling some 6v6's on this site, so if you do buy one of these, I'd buy some nos tubes from him.
Last edited by pak1351 at Mar 28, 2009,
So all the electrical components should be fine for another...10 years?20 years? Because this is an amp I'd like to keep for my whole life. I'm only 15, so there are (hopefully) many years to go!

If ever the amp does crap out on me, would an amp tech be able to save it by changing whatever needs to be changed?

+ 1 Quarter (pick)
= ULTIMATE TONE
Should be good for a while (assuming it's had all that done), and a tech will be able to fix anything that goes bad or needs fixing.
Ah, great! So basically an amp could live 10 000 years as long as an amp tech's around to service it

+ 1 Quarter (pick)
= ULTIMATE TONE
I personally wouldn't buy it. I wonder if that is the actual amp pictured in the listing...

It does have some nice old tubes in it though. On the other hand it is using a SS recto, SS rectos are more efficient than tube and will provide a higher voltage than a tube recto. That combined with the fact that wall socket voltages are 10V higher than back in the day your asking for trouble. Your probably pushing the old filter caps very close to their max. Your bias on the power tube will also be off with the increase in voltage.

The speaker isn't original, thats a major drawback (well to me at least).
If everything is original you'll need a tech to check it out. You'll more than likely need a cap job done and maybe checking those carbon comps to make sure they haven't drifted too much.
Quote by pak1351
Actually, darkarbiter7 is selling some 6v6's on this site, so if you do buy one of these, I'd buy some nos tubes from him.

Listen to this man

If you ever need replacement tubes, send me a PM. I have rectifier tubes for champs too.

But anyways, that's a pretty good deal. That's around the price of a typical BF champ, but you get some extras and a telefunken 12ax7, which are quite valuable.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by kurtlives91
I personally wouldn't buy it. I wonder if that is the actual amp pictured in the listing...

It does have some nice old tubes in it though. On the other hand it is using a SS recto, SS rectos are more efficient than tube and will provide a higher voltage than a tube recto. That combined with the fact that wall socket voltages are 10V higher than back in the day your asking for trouble. Your probably pushing the old filter caps very close to their max. Your bias on the power tube will also be off with the increase in voltage.

The speaker isn't original, thats a major drawback (well to me at least).
If everything is original you'll need a tech to check it out. You'll more than likely need a cap job done and maybe checking those carbon comps to make sure they haven't drifted too much.

I'm not too sure myself if it is the same amp as in the picture, but I'll see the amp myself and try it out before handing over any of my cash.
As for the rectifier and the speaker, he also includes the originals in the price (they're just not in the amp itself)

So according to you, I should get the Victoria Champ instead?

edit DAMN! I just got a email this second from the seller and he sold it this morning! So should I go with the Victoria?

+ 1 Quarter (pick)
= ULTIMATE TONE