What is the best deal i can get for a Marshall Super JH100 head?
also what a bout a cab?
Oh Hey look at my signature
go to sites like splawnguitars.com ceriatone.com

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

i dont know if anyone noticed but i am looking for a good deal and 3,500 dollars isnt a good deal. a cheaper price is what i am looking for.
Quote by BlackDog55
i dont know if anyone noticed but i am looking for a good deal and 3,500 dollars isnt a good deal. a cheaper price is what i am looking for.

how much do you expect to pay for an amp like this?

you're going to have a hard time finding one for $500.
Quote by al112987
how much do you expect to pay for an amp like this?

you're going to have a hard time finding one for $500.

all im saying is why would i pay for the head for 3,500 when i could get a full stack and head for 6,500.
the ceri head is not even close to $3500. it is a little over $1000 after shipping.

addendum: it is $1045 + $225 shipping = $1270 total, and still better than the Marshall reissue/JH100 head (is it a reissue?)
Last edited by Skierinanutshel at Mar 28, 2009,
Quote by BlackDog55
all im saying is why would i pay for the head for 3,500 when i could get a full stack and head for 6,500.

Well lets see...

Take that Metroamp and two Mojotone cabs and 8 Scumback H55s

$3500 + ($950) + 8x($105)

Is... lets see... $5290. Which is $1200 cheaper than the Marshall full stack. And better than the Marshall fullstack in every way possible. Marshall is notorious for using lower quality parts, and most notably, low quality transformers (which is huge because the OT is the single most important component in terms of tone). With the Metropolous you get...

The best quality in everything. Workmanship, parts, everything. If Marshall ever dared to put NOS Phillips Mustards and carbon comp resistors in their amps you better bet you'd be paying well over $6000 for the head alone. And Mojotone cabinets and Weber speakers are better than Marshall cabinets and Celestion speakers in every way possible.

The Ceriatone is a good option, but in the end it comes down to how much like the original you want the amp to be. The biggest difference between the Metro and Ceriatone is that the Metro uses all NOS parts, and whatever he can't get NOS, he has custom made for him, he has his own custom transformers wound for him for this particular amp. In the end, all that adds up, the next best thing to having an original. And it's cheaper than the Marshall. Imo, that's a pretty good deal.

http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153313&highlight=metro

(not posting the link to promote another forum, but that is a good thread to read on this subject to get some first hand insight on what this amp is supposed to sound like)
Last edited by al112987 at Mar 28, 2009,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
+1 Andrew

Another option would be a Splawn Nitro or Quickrod used for $1,200 - 1,600 and then a new or used cab for $400 - $700.

plus you can go even cheaper on the cab if you get an avatar or similar

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Quote by al112987
Marshall is notorious for using lower quality parts, and most notably, low quality transformers (which is huge because the OT is the single most important component in terms of tone).

The Marshall Super 100JH uses Drake transformers . . . like the original did. The Ceriatone and Metro amps don't.
^Still Metro's transformers beats Drake's.

I'm very into this subject and when I bought my 18watter I selected the ones as close to original as possible. To start with the Drake transformers used in the JH are still off the shelf and not too interesting. Metro on the other hand uses handwired paper transformers, made after George Metrolpolous own 1966 JTM45. They are made by Heyboer, which I have. Heyboer are among the finest transformers made today, since they are made in small numbers they pay a lot of attention to their product.

$3500 for a Metro is WAY better than a Marshall. Metro uses SoZo Mustard caps, fantastic reproductions of the modern ones. Marshall uses standard ones that are off the shelf, as the rest of the components. Metro also uses carbon comp resistors in select places, like the originals. Basically if you buy a Marshall you pay for the name, not the quality. Trust me here. I'm on many other Marshall specific communities and all the modern reissues, even handwired often has transformers breaking down. They are notorious for using sub-par output transformers. So really a Metro is a better buy.

Otherwise the Ceriatone is a great idea.

Also I must ask, but do you know what you're buying? Cranking up a beast like that is going to be a big strecht I can tell you. I used to have a 50 Watt version but had to sell it since it was too loud. Nowadays I use an 18watter Marshall instead. They're like a mini-Plexi. Gets the tone, but you can crank it up!

Listen to the clip in my sig and you'll see what I mean.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Gabel
^Still Metro's transformers beats Drake's.

$3500 for a Metro is WAY better than a Marshall. Metro uses SoZo Mustard caps, fantastic reproductions of the modern ones. Marshall uses standard ones that are off the shelf, as the rest of the components. Metro also uses carbon comp resistors in select places, like the originals. Basically if you buy a Marshall you pay for the name, not the quality. Trust me here. I'm on many other Marshall specific communities and all the modern reissues, even handwired often has transformers breaking down. They are notorious for using sub-par output transformers. So really a Metro is a better buy.

Better even, the Metro Super 100 actually uses NOS Phillips mustards and carbon comps all throughout. It's the best that money can buy.

Oh yes.

George Metropoulos goes all out on this amplifier. Pretty much no expense is spared anywhere in this amp. He has his own custom made transformers, made as an exact hand-wound replica of his own. I would take that over a repro Drake. Regardless, it is at the very least, just as good, if not better. And will even ship it with NOS GEC KT66s (though I imagine that adds an extra $600 or so to your costs)
Last edited by al112987 at Apr 10, 2009,
Quote by Gabel
Also I must ask, but do you know what you're buying? Cranking up a beast like that is going to be a big strecht I can tell you. I used to have a 50 Watt version but had to sell it since it was too loud. Nowadays I use an 18watter Marshall instead. They're like a mini-Plexi. Gets the tone, but you can crank it up!

Listen to the clip in my sig and you'll see what I mean.

When exactly can you "crank it up"?
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
Quote by al112987
Better even, the Metro Super 100 actually uses NOS Phillips mustards and carbon comps all throughout. It's the best that money can buy.

Oh yes.

George Metropoulos goes all out on this amplifier. Pretty much no expense is spared anywhere in this amp. He has his own custom made transformers, made as an exact hand-wound replica of his own. I would take that over a repro Drake. Regardless, it is at the very least, just as good, if not better. And will even ship it with NOS GEC KT66s (though I imagine that adds an extra $600 or so to your costs)

I see! A couple of years back he was only using SoZo, nice to see some NOS inside!

^Well at gigs and loud practises I've been able to run it at 2-3. It overdrives there, so I get some sweet AC/DC overdrive at those levels.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Do not use Sozo caps as criteria for purchasing an amp.

THEY ARE RELABELED MALLORY's
The Drake transformers for the Marshall super100jh arent off the shelf parts. They were special made units for that amp only. The blueprints were in Drakes archives.
Metro amps are def a topnotch piece of kit. Does George still handmake them all himself? Despite there outstanding tone and quality it is a shame they wont keep there value, and will be seen as "copies" by the uninformed.
Quote by theSecond
Do not use Sozo caps as criteria for purchasing an amp.

THEY ARE RELABELED MALLORY's

Except not.
Marshall is one of the worst values in guitar today. Don't buy a JH100 because it's Jimi and Marshall. the Ceriatone Experienced head is an astronomically better value.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by FatTone
The Drake transformers for the Marshall super100jh arent off the shelf parts. They were special made units for that amp only. The blueprints were in Drakes archives.
Metro amps are def a topnotch piece of kit. Does George still handmake them all himself? Despite there outstanding tone and quality it is a shame they wont keep there value, and will be seen as "copies" by the uninformed.

George still handbuilds all of them, unless you want to buy the parts from him and build it yourself.

As for holding value, Metroamps (as well as other boutique Marshall clone amps, Germino, Louis Electric, etc) are definitely player's amps. They're expensive, but the expense goes towards quality build and quality parts rather than the name. They're made to be played, not collected. But I agree, people will always look at these things and think somehow the Marshall reissues are more authentic, because supposedly "they made the original, so who better to make the reissues"?
Exactly. What they forget is that the bigger the company, the more expenses they have. Hence they need to put more money into paying their workers, for advertisments, royalties for sig gear and stuff. For boutique amps it's so small (most of them run by one or two persons) so that almost all the money goes towards the parts and then paying off that one guy. I got a WONDERFUL 18watt clone from www.brownnote.net

Worth every penny I can say.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Quote by Gabel
^Well at gigs and loud practises I've been able to run it at 2-3. It overdrives there, so I get some sweet AC/DC overdrive at those levels.

Dude, are you serious? Are you playing your amp up to 2-3 at gigs? that's extremly low. I borrowed out my Bluesbreaker to a friend of mine when his amp was broken for a while, and he had it on 10 throughout the whole gig. And it was not a big place at all.
Maybe it's just the way the small town bands do it

Oh, and to be on-topic. I think that the JH Fullstack is more of a collectible, actually. Not really reccomended if you're a player, better yet someone who just wanna practise guitar in your room etc.
Having a JH Fullstack and a Ceriatone clone is not the same thing.
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
Last edited by Hultan at Apr 12, 2009,
It depends, my 45 gets very loud very quick, but the difference in volume between being on 3 and being on 10 is actually very slight. And with el34s, it starts breaking up early that I can get AC/DC crunch levels at 3-4.

Supposedly, the JTM45 Super100 is not actually that loud, I mean, it's loud, but it's no where near as loud as a 100 watt Super lead.
Last edited by al112987 at Apr 12, 2009,
Quote by Gabel
Exactly. What they forget is that the bigger the company, the more expenses they have. Hence they need to put more money into paying their workers, for advertisments, royalties for sig gear and stuff. For boutique amps it's so small (most of them run by one or two persons) so that almost all the money goes towards the parts and then paying off that one guy. I got a WONDERFUL 18watt clone from www.brownnote.net

Worth every penny I can say.

I'm listening to clips of the Brown Fox right now, and it sounds sooooo good.
Quote by al112987

Supposedly, the JTM45 Super100 is not actually that loud, I mean, it's loud, but it's no where near as loud as a 100 watt Super lead.

I agree. I think its down to the tubes. The Super100jh with 4 KT66 is not as loud as the Superlead with the 4 EL34 tubes. . . and in my opinion this is a good thing, as the Superleads are PAINFULLY loud.
The KT66 sound nicer.
Quote by Hultan
Dude, are you serious? Are you playing your amp up to 2-3 at gigs? that's extremly low. I borrowed out my Bluesbreaker to a friend of mine when his amp was broken for a while, and he had it on 10 throughout the whole gig. And it was not a big place at all.
Maybe it's just the way the small town bands do it

Oh, and to be on-topic. I think that the JH Fullstack is more of a collectible, actually. Not really reccomended if you're a player, better yet someone who just wanna practise guitar in your room etc.
Having a JH Fullstack and a Ceriatone clone is not the same thing.

*sigh*

As Al put it, my amp breaks up at 2-3 and then when you get past that it doesn't get any louder. So at 2-3, that's really where it breaks up. It has no headroom. Keep in mind a Bluesbreaker has more headroom and doesn't brake up until 5 and after that it barely gets louder. The 18watter has close to no headroom at all. Also what's wrong with trying not to be loud? Better to save your ears, especially if you like me already have an hearing impediment.

Really stop looking at the badge on the front too. A Ceriatone will actually be close to the JTM100 Jimi used than the Marshall... So yeah the Marshall might be worth more, but then again I doubt this guy buys it to sell it.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

^What's wrong with "being not too loud"? You'll understand one day...
Quote by A Certain Death
my mum is a retard
No please enlighten me. I like playing loud and loved doing that with my Plexi. Back then I was really loud. But then I figured that playing loud does not equal playing good. I don't want to be too low, that's not what I'm saying and my band are still fairly loud, but were not ear burstingly loud. All I'm saying is that just playing loud for the sake of being cool is stupid. Play at the volumes you need to.

Also do you have a hearing impediment? You don't. I do. It wasn't caused by gear (born with it), but it means I need to take care of my ears. Once you're there on the day and half deaf you might regret being too loud. I can tell you having problems to hear isn't very fun at all. Just ask Pete Townshend. The Who used to be the loudest band alive. When I saw them they had great volume, they had a lot of volume, but was never loud so it was annoying.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Quote by Gabel

Also do you have a hearing impediment? You don't. I do.

I'll bet he does . . . he just might not know it yet! My hearing loss was caused by gigs in the late 1970s. . . . But it took a good few years to become noticeable and by then it was too late. Constant ringing, like a sine wave is NO fun.Tinnitus.
Ah that's not nice man. I'm more than half deaf on my left ear...
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band