I don't have too much time for research at the moment guys, but can some of you just randomly help me throw together a list of guitars by posting brands here that you can think of that:

- Are between 3000 and 5000 USD
- Are of known good quality
- Are not solely makers of Dreadnoughts (can't stand that style of body anymore)

I will get my enlistment bonus in a couple of months or so, God willing, so I need to be looking at purchases for my ultimate steel string. In the meantime, my Washburn still kicks both my own and your asses.

Any help would be appreciated
My God, it's full of stars!
Also, I'm primarily considering R Taylor (even though they are above that price range)

Jim, I need your help on this one
Just wanted to let you know that I saw the thread. I'll get back to you!
Jon! You gotta look into Lowden! They're generally quite big bodied guitars and uniquely shaped. Thomas Leeb uses a Lowden as well, if I'm not mistaken.
http://www.georgelowden.com/

The song Rylynn was recorded on a Lowden for the youtube video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsD6uEZsIsU&feature=related
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
$5000 on a guitar? ._.

Over here (Australia) that's about $6500ish... I didn't even know there were guitars that expensive. ._.
If I had that much money to get on an acoustic guitar I'd get someone to build me a custom one. As for Guitars in that price range, I'm not too sure of any exact models, but I'm pretty sure that brands like Martin and Taylor and many others have guitars priced at $3000+. But what you do is totally up to you.
Quote by obeythepenguin
You win this thread. Pipe organs FTW.

Quote by ShadesOfGray
Let's take it one step further and add a slogan:

Big Bach is listening you!
Jon, the day has finally come(almost) eh? i remember taking to you about this so long ago hahah. Anyways, if I had that much cash to spend on an acoustic, personally I would get a completely custom Breedlove. I know that you know they kick ass. I know more about Breedlove that my brain can handle right about now, so if you have questions, shoot.

Also, definitely look into Lowden like Cap said. Amazing guitars.
To give you guys a heads up, these are what I'm considering (hypothetically, of course; the money hasn't come into play yet and won't for awhile):

- Breedlove Custom Shop
- R Taylor customs
- Larrivee

Sorry, but I'm not too interested in Lowden, nor Maton

EDIT: Because of price, breedlove customs might go way the of the dinosaur for me
Last edited by Dreadnought at Mar 29, 2009,
Quote by Dreadnought

I didn't realise that was possible. You're a lucky guy, by the way.

Maybe you should include the cost of a brilliant amo as well. Like a top range Fishman Loudbox or an AER compact/60 etc.

Mind you they'd be setting you back $1000 dollars-ish.

To the people who are suggesting a custom guitar, are you really going to get one for $6000?

Edit: Nevermind, I see you edited lol.
Last edited by ClaptonWannabe at Mar 29, 2009,
Quote by Dreadnought
To give you guys a heads up, these are what I'm considering (hypothetically, of course; the money hasn't come into play yet and won't for awhile):

- Breedlove Custom Shop
- R Taylor customs
- Larrivee

EDIT: Because of price, breedlove customs might go way the of the dinosaur for me

Breedlove custom isn't even completely necessary as they make so many models with so many different wood combinations that no one else really offers. I know they are one of the only companies I've come across that offers Myrtlewood which is gorgeous.
Quote by Dreadnought
Why am I lucky?

Well perhaps not lucky, as you obviously earned the money, but fortunate to be able to treat yourself to something special.
Quote by Silverstein14
Breedlove custom isn't even completely necessary as they make so many models with so many different wood combinations that no one else really offers. I know they are one of the only companies I've come across that offers Myrtlewood which is gorgeous.

Yes the Masterclass series is a more reasonable consideration, but even some of those are on the outer limits of my price range
Won't have my laptop again until next weekend :\

Particular woods, no... my current Washburn has a beautiful Spruce top, I got lucky in finding one so gorgeous (check the pic on my profile); most other Spruce tops I see are much more plain. I'm more likely than not to get a Spruce top. I haven't given consideration to the backs/sides.

IMO, crazy fancy **** is pretty, yes, but unneccesarily pricey as well. My little Washburn kicks the **** out of some Martins and Taylors which are multi-fold its price.
For sure. Most guitars up in that price range are easy to get for cheaper from the store you buy it from too. And I know you said you wouldn't want another Spruce top, but if you are looking at the performance Breeds, the Northwest Classic is insanely nice and in your range.
Last edited by Silverstein14 at Mar 29, 2009,
Hey, Jon. Sorry it took me so long to get back to this thread.

As for recommendations, you have not really said much about what you actually want. You more than likely want a spruce top, expensive, good quality, and not a dreadnought. That's pretty vague. Do you want something exceptionally balanced, or are you looking for an overall bassiness or sparkling, cutting treble response? Are you concerned with liquidty and stable value?

I'm especially thrown by the fact that you quickly tossed out Lowden as a possibility. Lowden guitars offer everything you have mentioned that you wanted. And, imo, Lowden makes some of the absolute best guitars for your playing style. The balance of a Lowden is really something to behold.

The other options that you are exploring are likewise all great places to look.

So what exactly do you want?
Alrighty then, I'll give Lowden a chance, I guess it was silly of me to disregard them so quickly.

I don't care about stable value or resale value or anything like that.

The body style that I'm looking for is a smaller type. Similar to the washburn that I currently play. For example, I LOVE the size and shape of breedlove guitars.

Tonality-wise, I want something with a clearness and brightness as opposed to a mellower, more blended sound. I don't do a lot of strumming, so soft sounding chords aren't something I'm interested in. I need notes that are powerful on their own. Honestly I don't know if I want more treble or more bass... I'd have to leave that up to playing the individual guitar. On a dynamic level, I want the guitar to be able to respond exquisitely to the most miniscule of dynamics, the faintest of color changes, and I need good volume ranges so there can be sweeping crescendos and decrescendos. But these are things that all good guitars should have.

I left some information out because I wanted somewhat vague recommendations, so I could do the finer sorting out. Do you need any more information? I'm doing my best haha, I don't know EXACTLY what I want. Thanks a lot man
I'd search for a Breedlove that's got a spruce top (Sitka or bearclaw if you like), with preferably Myrtlewood back and sides. You'll get a clear, powerful, and bright guitar. Which sounds like exactly what you wanted.
Good luck on the search!
it's all just coming back
it's all coming back

it's all coming back to me
Any feelings about slope shouldered Gibsons? Unless your looking for a custom (if you are, look here ), I would say a mid '60s J body is about as good as it gets. Do you have your mind set on a new guitar, or is used an option? There are some outrageously good used guitars in that price range.
Last edited by GC Shred Off at Apr 14, 2009,
It's a pity you don't want a Dreadnought. I just found a beautiful sitka spruce topped, myrtlewood back and sides Breedlove Masterclass series for $2800. But it's dreadnought.
it's all coming back

I find the body size and shape to be really uncomfortable, and it doesn't really offer any benefits to my style of playing.
Alright, I found it. It's a Breedlove (Obviously) called 'The Northwest Classic'. Sitka spruce top, myrtlewood back and sides, concert size, and a nice cutaway, with electronics as well. I'm looking for some links right now, but what I've found so far (All UK dealers at the moment, searching for some US ones) is that it's listed at around £5000 or so.

EDIT: http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Breedlove-Northwest-Classic-Acoustic-Guitar-?sku=513484
it's all coming back

Last edited by Baby Joel at Apr 14, 2009,
Haha Joel and me have the same brain I swear. I recommended the Northwest Classic on the first page haha! Jon, when will you be able to thorougly get out and play some stuff? I know you've played Breedlove's, but as far as Lowden's go they might be a bit more difficult to find around you. Im backing both those companies 100% as they are both incredible guitars! If you want to know a lot more exotic woods and tonalities Breedlove offers, shoot me a PM, and I'll load you with info on different wood combos that you could find that Im sure you'd like.
Last edited by Silverstein14 at Apr 14, 2009,
Quote by Silverstein14
Haha Joel and me have the same brain I swear. I recommended the Northwest Classic on the first page haha! Jon, when will you be able to thorougly get out and play some stuff? I know you've played Breedlove's, but as far as Lowden's go they might be a bit more difficult to play. Im backing both those companies 100% as they are both incredible guitars! If you want to know a lot more exotic woods and tonalities Breedlove offers, shoot me a PM, and I'll load you with info on different wood combos that you could find that Im sure you'd like.

Hey that'd be great! I'd really appreciate it
About the Northwest Classic...

Raise your hand if you have actually played a myrtlewood guitar...

<<

>>

:raises hand:

Myrtlewood is as described, but you need take close notice of how it is described: "the deep bass of rosewood and the ringing treble of maple." Sounds like the absolute best of all possible worlds... unless you actually have a lot of experience playing said tonewoods. Rosewood undoubtedly has the BEST deep bass response of all tonewoods without becoming muddy. The only even remotely close rival here is Cocobolo. Myrtlewood doesn't quite have the same bass properties as Rosewood, imo, but relatively close.

The real fallacy in the description of Myrtlewood lies in the treble. While it is true that myrtlewood will provide the same treble clarity as maple, it is important to note that maple is far from providing the epitome of treble response. Maple is a very unique tonewood. The thing about Maple is that it actually provides more of a lack of tonal character than it provides actual tonal character.

If you have some serious experience playing maple back/sides guitar, you will undoubtedly notice one thing: maple back and sides essentially add very little to the color of a guitar. What maple provides is an untouched representation of how the top of a guitar sounds.

Typically you are dealing with either some form of spruce or cedar, and, most often with a maple bodied guitar, some form of spruce. This presents a remarkable opportunity to hear and learn the characteristics of say sitka spruce compared to engelmann spruce or adirondack spruce. If you are deeply curious about tonewood characteristics, I strongly urge you to A/B guitars of various tops with solid maple back/sides; however, if you are looking for substantial, astounding treble clarity, there are better options. For my money, premium-grade Koa is the be-all-end-all of beautiful highs. There simply is no comparison for the treble clarity, responsiveness, and dynamics of quality, solid Koa.

All of the above considered, myrtlewood is a very nice tonewood, and does offer a unique equilibrium between the two pronounced ends of tone. You will not get the bass response of a Martin D-28 nor the treble response of a Taylor GC-K from a Breedlove Northwest Classic. Honestly I've yet to encounter any guitar that can offer that kind of tone, though. The only back/sides tonewood that really approaches Koa in excellence of "middle-of-the-road" tone and balance is superior quality mahogany. Not surprisingly, guitars of such high-grade mahogany cost as much as Koa guitars.

Obviously this is only my own personal opinion, and you will find varying opinions. I can say confidently that my opinion is based on actual playing time as opposed to reading time. Take my opinion as you will.

Our ears are all different.
^ I very much agree on your comment on maple. The sound isn't just bright, it's a different sort of bright than say a Taylor-bright kind of sound. It's much simpler. The sound that I get off of my Seagull isn't a rich sound, by any means, whatsoever. The sound is simple and straight forward. Definitely not full of rich tonal complexity. It's "bright", but definitely not just a shimmering sort of bright.

Also, Koa is definitely a great place to look. A good piece of koa is very rich in tonal complexity. I had the joy of being able to play my english teacher's D18 Koa back in highschool. The bass was deep, but not quite as deep and thick as rosewood. However, the bass was much smoother and controlled than rosewood(in my mind). The highs were crystal clear, yet very smooth. My overall impression of playing the D18 Koa and my friend's Taylor 414ce Koa special is that koa is one of the smoothest sounding woods out there. Smooth, but not a blended sound. Koa is a very chill/cool customer of a wood.
Equipment:

Breedlove has some really good all koa guitars, not sure about koa back and sides with spruce top though.
it's all coming back

Quote by Baby Joel
Breedlove has some really good all koa guitars, not sure about koa back and sides with spruce top though.

That's it, you work for Breedlove don't you?

How did you know?
Really, all it is, is most the guitars I've played are Breedloves. Back in the States the nearest GC was over thirty minutes away, and I couldn't drive, so I couldn't go that often to try all the good guitars. Once I could get to go, I played a Breedlove and fell in love. ;P The only other acoustic brands I've really played are Taylors (High end Taylors are really nice) and Gibsons (I didn't fancy those much). Next time I take a trip to Denmark street though, I'm definitely playing all the acoustics I can. :P
tl;dr, I don't work for Breedlove.
it's all coming back

^ Take your fingers for a walk on a Larrivee... they're amazing
Jon, I bet you that Kennan's going to suggest you get a Larrivee Jumbo.
Equipment:

Larrivee's are a strange animal. People tend to either love them or hate them.